February 22nd, 2008

Rice: Running for office 'not in my genes'

Secretary of State Rice spoke with reporters Friday.
Secretary of State Rice spoke with reporters Friday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice, sandwiched between two major overseas trips, made a rare appearance at the State Department’s press briefing room Friday and talked politics. She told the packed room of reporters that she has no interest in running for Vice President on the 2008 Republican ticket. Instead, she says, her next stop will be California.

“I have always said that the one thing that I have not seen myself doing is running for elected office in the United States,” Rice said. “I didn’t even run for high-school President, Rice joked, “It’s not in my genes.”

Rice added that there are “very good people running for the American people to make their choices. I will be making my choice as a voter and that's going to be fun after a campaign in 2000 in which I was extremely involved.” Rice says she is not involved at all in this campaign. It’s a demanding period for her at the State Department, dealing with North Korea, Iran, Iraq, Russia, Serbia, and Rice doesn’t have much time left to make her mark.

She insisted that she’s going to stick with her job until the very end of her term: “I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing as Secretary of State to see if we can use the last few months, as the President has put it, to sprint to the finish.”

–CNN State Department Correspondent Zain Verjee

Filed under: Condoleezza Rice
  1. Cindy

Like HRC... Rice is a very smart, very competent woman.. but tied up with the wrong bunch of guys.

I think she should run. I think she could be a contender. But it's a personal decision.

February 22, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  2. ha

Of course she wouldn't run for office; that would make her subject to public opinion rather than oblivious to it.

February 22, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  3. kathleen, illinois

OH, pleeeeeze. no!

February 22, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  4. Marie

No. Sorry. Anybody that closely aligned to the Bush/Cheney regime needs to be permanently barred from holding public office ever again. You're all suspect if not downright complicit in their crimes.

February 22, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  5. Kate

This is THE woman I'd vote for ... given the circumstances she's done a fantastic job .. very cool and consistent.

February 22, 2008 09:06 pm at 9:06 pm |
  6. Jdona

After watching the crucifixion of another intelligent, highly educated, articulate, decent woman who is running for President, I don't blame Condoleeza Rice for not running for elected office.

February 22, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  7. Ralph

I've never understood how people see her as a great president.

She's never done anything but follow others.

February 22, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  8. U.S. Army Vet.

If Sen. John McCain wants to have a real fighting chance of winning in the general election then he should not choose Codoleezza Rice, Colin Powell, or anyone who has been apart of the Bush cabinet.

The state of our economy, the Iraq War, and a multitude of other problems would be directly transferred to Sen. John McCain's campaign. This would only increase his negatives, and give democrats a stronger rallying call to attack the "failed Republican agenda".

February 22, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  9. Cable King Pittsburgh PA

Rice has been a totally inept public servant. She is one of the major architects of America's global fall from grace. Maybe, one of her followers could enlighten the rest of us as to some of her accomplishments-wanting to be commissioner of the NFL doesn't count!

On a political level she couldn't stand up to Ralph Nader – he does (or did) at least stand for something.

February 22, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  10. Jose Card - Independent

If Dr. Condoleeza Rice will run for president in 2008, she will compete with her own merit without a former president to lean on.

I think she wants to return to teach at Stanford after the administration.
    She has my full respect for her decision and appreciation for her public service to our nation.

February 22, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  11. Ms T.

great. Don't run because you would never get my vote. You don't have a clue.

February 22, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  12. kevin from alaska

She knew there were no WMDs and she lied to us.

February 22, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  13. Vig

Thank God.

February 22, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  14. Pat M Canada

Are Americans this desperate that they would consider Condi if she actually decided to run?????

Maybe she could be Nader's Vice ! (That is a Joke of course)

Good Lord......Can it get any worse????

February 22, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  15. mike

She's been one of the biggest liars of the Bush camp – Powell resigned because he couldn't stomach it anymore, but she stepped in and continued the falsifications. Maybe in the best interest of herself, but certainly not in the best interest of our country. I remember her lying to the American people from Camp David after we invaded Iraq – lies upon lies – and to think that now she's being touted as a viable candidate for national office turns my stomach – what's Collin think?

February 22, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  16. Concerned

Im African American and I am a Hillary supporter, but if Condi was to run, I would seriously reconsider my vote for Hillary. Condi is a very smart and powerful woman with lots of experience. She only had to do what she was told under the Bush administration, buy as a vp, she would have free rain to do what she wants to do. I really want her to run.

February 22, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |