February 22nd, 2008

Rice: Running for office 'not in my genes'

Secretary of State Rice spoke with reporters Friday.
Secretary of State Rice spoke with reporters Friday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice, sandwiched between two major overseas trips, made a rare appearance at the State Department’s press briefing room Friday and talked politics. She told the packed room of reporters that she has no interest in running for Vice President on the 2008 Republican ticket. Instead, she says, her next stop will be California.

“I have always said that the one thing that I have not seen myself doing is running for elected office in the United States,” Rice said. “I didn’t even run for high-school President, Rice joked, “It’s not in my genes.”

Rice added that there are “very good people running for the American people to make their choices. I will be making my choice as a voter and that's going to be fun after a campaign in 2000 in which I was extremely involved.” Rice says she is not involved at all in this campaign. It’s a demanding period for her at the State Department, dealing with North Korea, Iran, Iraq, Russia, Serbia, and Rice doesn’t have much time left to make her mark.

She insisted that she’s going to stick with her job until the very end of her term: “I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing as Secretary of State to see if we can use the last few months, as the President has put it, to sprint to the finish.”

–CNN State Department Correspondent Zain Verjee

Filed under: Condoleezza Rice
  1. Monika

Of course not. But how awesome would it be for the Republicans? Not only is she a woman, but she is African American as well. They would lose the image of the party of the old, white, and rich men...

February 22, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  2. Jake, ATL

It's unfortunate she's been demonized. It's all the Republicans to blame. Everyone involved with this administration will forever have a bad name.

February 22, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  3. Willy

Dr. Rice ,you would make a great president. However you are not a democrat and therefore you'd be judged by the party you are in and not by your intelligents.

February 22, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  4. iGoog

You got to be kidding me. Republics are good at one thing destroying America.

February 22, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  5. Linda Porter

I am glad running for office is not in Secretary Rice's genes. If it was, she would be very disappointed because I don't know anyone who thinks she has any credibility.

February 22, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  6. Grif

Why not? She know how to negociate, and get the right responsejust about every time. You have to learn to talk to the world. One thing Obama can't do..

February 22, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  7. PG

If not Codoleezza Rice, then McCain should choose Colin Powell as his VP.

February 22, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  8. joanna

Good for her!

February 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  9. Casey

Too bad. She's a contender.

February 22, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  10. Tim, Boston MA

Your next stop will be a federal penetentiary, LOL.

February 22, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  11. Not Given

Rice has nothing to really brag about and would just tie McCain to Bush thus cementing the bond that will cost him the election

February 22, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  12. Tom Wittmann

Possibly Sen. Mc.Cain will try to convince her

Tthis is a woman people can vote for her (own) merits as a knowledgeable, valuable and decent person, not only because she is a woman.

Tom

February 22, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  13. California Independent

I'm looking forward to seeing who his running mate options are. Any info on this?

February 22, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  14. AC

That's a shame. She could bring this country together and be a tremendous leader. She's a woman who already has the world's respect.

February 22, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  15. Leeza

I'm glad its not in your genes! I'm tired of you!

February 22, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  16. aware

Everyone says that Condi until they are seriously considered. To continue the legacy of your dear friend W, I think you would do it. I also think that you would be be an extraordinary VP and possible future president. :)

February 22, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  17. Vadim Levin

Too bad.
    she deserve to be not only Vice-President, but President of USA. She has more experience than some other candidates.

February 22, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  18. TheLeftNut

Oh good. We want the NYT to impune your dignity too!

February 22, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  19. Rozanne

I would not support a McCain/Rice ticket to the White House. While she is obviously well educated and composed. Connie is a ice princess and we are having a hard enough time dealing with Hillary's ice chips. Secondly, I would not vote for a woman who has not ever been married nor had any children...how could she relate to what I've been through?

February 22, 2008 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  20. Meh

ha ha ha . Yeah right. She'll run if she's asked.

February 22, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  21. Paul from Kissimmee

I wish Rice would run for President or VP. She is a tough, intellegent woman that I admire very much.

February 22, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  22. Tom Swift

McCain/Rice '08

February 22, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  23. Bill Jay

Don't run for public office, look what the men are doing to Hillary.
    To many men (actually bigs babies) are scared of a women in high public office. love you Ms. Rice.

February 22, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  24. Raymond Ito

Even if it's in her "genes" to run, I don't think she'll get any vote and any candidate that makes the mistake to choose her to be a Vice-president, he or she will have to forever live in regret till the end of time. Reason? She'll be an albatross around anyone's neck – period.

February 22, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  25. Bernice

LET RICE GO ON ABOUT HER BUSINESS, SHE HASN'T DONE MUCH FOR US ANYWAY!

WE'RE READY TO GET RID OF HER AND HER BOSS AS WELL AS THE REST THAT GOES ALONG WITH THEM
    THE WHOLE SUS-POOP OF THEM!

February 22, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |