February 22nd, 2008

Rice: Running for office 'not in my genes'

Secretary of State Rice spoke with reporters Friday.
Secretary of State Rice spoke with reporters Friday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice, sandwiched between two major overseas trips, made a rare appearance at the State Department’s press briefing room Friday and talked politics. She told the packed room of reporters that she has no interest in running for Vice President on the 2008 Republican ticket. Instead, she says, her next stop will be California.

“I have always said that the one thing that I have not seen myself doing is running for elected office in the United States,” Rice said. “I didn’t even run for high-school President, Rice joked, “It’s not in my genes.”

Rice added that there are “very good people running for the American people to make their choices. I will be making my choice as a voter and that's going to be fun after a campaign in 2000 in which I was extremely involved.” Rice says she is not involved at all in this campaign. It’s a demanding period for her at the State Department, dealing with North Korea, Iran, Iraq, Russia, Serbia, and Rice doesn’t have much time left to make her mark.

She insisted that she’s going to stick with her job until the very end of her term: “I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing as Secretary of State to see if we can use the last few months, as the President has put it, to sprint to the finish.”

–CNN State Department Correspondent Zain Verjee

Filed under: Condoleezza Rice
  1. Darth Vadik, CA

Of course not, you're a thief not a politician.

February 22, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  2. Brian

It was foolish to hope for her to run anyways. A Bush insider/McCain ticket? Say goodnight.

February 22, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  3. Ian

Thank god.

February 22, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  4. Jen

If you want a woman for president, Condi is a REAL woman.

Too bad she won't run.

February 22, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  5. RICARDO PHILLIPS OF D.C

WOULD IT BE IN THE BEST INTEREST TO KEEP RICE AS THE SECRETARY OF STATE? OR PERHAPS EVEN HRC

February 22, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  6. Patrick Peavy Plano,TX

That's actually kind of a shame. I was actually afraid she would run this time around and be a huge challenge for my girl Hillary. When it was clear she wasn't going to get in the race I was hoping she would run one day. I guess I must have a lot of respect for strong female leaders in positions that may not be as popular as they would like at a given time. Regardless of how you agree with her role in the Bush administration or the mismanagement of the war in Iraq(notice I said mismanagement and not the war) I think she is worth considering as a candidate but I guess she just doesn't want to. Then again, Hillary never quite said yes either.... I guess we should "stay tuned" because I don't think her time in the political spotlight is over.

February 22, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  7. Charlotte

Want to bet she voting for Obama.

February 22, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  8. Cal Jim 2

To bad she won't run. The nation could benifit from her experience. I believe that she would help the republican ticket.

February 22, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  9. Cal Jim 2

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

February 22, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  10. bucky teeth,N.Y

Aunt Rice we dont need you.

February 22, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  11. Derek, Jersey Shore

President Bush has made too many mistakes to list but one of his biggest was replacing an independent thinking secretary of state that raised the important questions and was willing to be honest with Condi who cared more about keeping her job and being in the loop than she did about doing her job well.

The truth is that she couldn't run for office because she has been a disaster since she began as W's NSA.

February 22, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  12. Gorbashov, Long Beach, Ca.

She's even less qualified to be VP then she is to be Secretary of State.

How does this women still have a job with the disastrous foreign policy that we have had the last seven plus years?

How incompetent do you have to be to actually be held accountable and put out to pasture in this Adm.?

February 22, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  13. Stanley, ME

Good. Maybe she can be the new director of Bush's library.

February 22, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  14. Anonymous

Her run is in her Feragamos.

February 22, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  15. John in Virginia

Good. Please don't change your mind Condi. This country has had enough of you and the politics that you have helped to fester over the past 7 years.

February 22, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  16. kevin

Thank you.....don't run for any office...you have not been a great diplomat, nor communicator., peace broker etc. I am not blaming you...only your boss.

February 22, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  17. Tim Burgess - in CA

Darn – she'd make a great VP, and a truly ground breaking President. It would be nice to have one of the brightest people in this country in that office, instead of our last couple of knuckleheads.

February 22, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  18. Media Balance

A very polite way to say "Are you kidding me ? I am not that stupid !"

February 22, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  19. Linda

I would vote for Condoleeza Rice in a second. Just love her!!

February 22, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  20. Alan

Good for you. It's a dirty, dirty world anyways. Look at what they are trying to do to McCain. And this week, talk radio is after the Obamas. Stay away from this really bad people. What a shame, the talented who can help this country are turned away and the mediocre rule. No wonder things are going south

February 22, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  21. DevilsAdvocate

I'd vote for McCain/Rice, only if Sen. Clinton is not the nominee, before I'd vote for Obama/Edwards populist socialism!!

February 22, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  22. Now that's a Lady Who I Would Vote For

Wow...I hope we do get to see her run for office one of these days. She is amazing!

February 22, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  23. Anonymous

Is there any way she could be drafted? She has the world's respect already... the only ones who don't like her are the inclusive democrats.

February 22, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  24. thrice

Rice is a fantastic government official, and seems like a very straightforward and sincere person. I don't see her tolerating the ethical compromises and backroom games that are the lifeblood of politics. Hopefully she will be able to serve our country again in the future. Delegate to UN? Future return as SOS? We shall see.

February 22, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  25. Belle

Have you ever noticed that a person becoming President looks very young and energetic, but when leaving the office, looks very old?

I am glad Ms. Rice is going to go do whatever she wants...she most likely needs a break. Mr. Bush controlled EVERYTHING...even the news storiess...his legacy will be one of the worst presidents the country has ever known.

Condi may change her mind in four years, but I would imagine that is how long it will take to recover from serving the country.

I am a Democrat, but appreciate the time involved in the job. Good luck and warmest wishes!

February 22, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |