February 22nd, 2008

Site named for Bush's presidential library

(CNN) - Following a years-long campaign that began before President Bush even took his first oath of office, Southern Methodist University – the alma mater of First Lady Laura Bush - has been chosen as the future home of George W. Bush’s presidential library and policy center.

“I look forward to the day when both the general public and scholars come and explore the important and challenging issues our Nation has faced during my presidency — from economic and homeland security to fighting terrorism and promoting freedom and democracy,” President Bush wrote in a Friday letter to the university’s president, Gerald Turner.

The university had been hammering out the final details of the agreement for more than year. The facility will be located at a site near downtown Dallas.

–CNN’s Elaine Quijano and Rebecca Sinderbrand contributed to this report

Filed under: President Bush
  1. MP-Pennsylvania

By looking at the donors to the library we can see whom Bush was president. May be bush should direct all the donation toward the college funds he cut or toward the national debt which sky rocketed during his 8 years.

Bottom line I don't want to see same thing like Clinton library. A thank you gift in clintons name by the special interest groups he served as a president

February 22, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  2. michelle

Lol @ Praetorian that was hillarious

with all the missing emails etc for everything.... I agree just a small space should be sufficient

February 22, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  3. Tmac

Come On Guys,
    According to an unbiased report, there were more military deaths during the Clinton years that there has been in the Bush years. And we weren't even in a war then.

You know this country has forgotten what real war is. We have lost some 4000 or so soldiers in the middle east and as I agree 1 is to many, it pales in comparison to D-Day when we lost 50000 before noon on one day. I have nothing but Respect for Our Military!!

We've got to get out of the convenience mode and realize that we have the ability to make a difference in the war on terror with minimal casualties. We have become a nation of "I want it now" and "I don't want to be bothered". Spoiled Brats!

Say what you will about President Bush, even I don't agree with everything about him, but I am not having to wear turbin and America has been kept safe on his watch.
    Let's give him credit for that!!!!!!!

Tmac

February 22, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  4. KathieTX

Its bad enough he is coming back to Texas , but a library too???? Jeez couldn't they put it in Mexico, Dubai or better yet for $19.95 he can buy an piece of land on the moon. What are they going to call it – Moron U.

This clown has been the worst president ever, failure all the way around and he gets a library??? This is ridiculous...

February 22, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  5. brad

Thanks Angie. That was the funniest comment for the day.

February 22, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  6. av3

Wait, Bush actually has documents that aren't being held by executive privilege? I find that hard to believe.

And I don't know if that open invitation to investigate your presidency was the smartest thing to do there, Bush. I'm really scared at what this last year is going to bring in the Bush Administration. They are going to have to divert so many resources to covering up, omitting and redefining their "legacy", I don't think much will be left to support the American people, if they have ever done that to begin with. Cheney I hope you've pocketed enough money from no-bid Halliburton contracts to pay for all the legal counsel you will need in the coming years!

February 22, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  7. Matt - Reading, PA

Kept America safe for nearly 7 years since 9/11 when everyone would have predicted another attack soon after.. but noooo you would all say that has nothing to do with the bush policies why we havent been attacked.. on the other hand, if we were attacked, it would be bush's fault! the man cant win with you lunatics!!

its amazing how cruel people can be to the leader of OUR country

February 22, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  8. Daniel Ewald

A library celebrating idiocy and mediocrity... think it will showcase Bush's coloring books and half done connect the dot pictures?

February 22, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  9. Charlie

Somehow the thought of "scholars" exploring his library made me chuckle.

February 22, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  10. Carmen

Well, the best thing GW can do for America is leave. The best thing Americans can do for the country is never vote for another Bush to be president.

When someone asked Bush Senior what he would miss about the WH, he said "The people who helped us", ie. the maids, chefs. etc.
    It's funny because Laura Bush just said the same thing, then she laughed it off and said I'm just kidding. Yeah, right. I think that was so self-serving.

I'm done, this new Bush Library should be built in Iraq, which is where all our money is going anyway. Build a library next to Saddam's Palace. What's the difference anyway?

February 22, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  11. A proud Texan

Now, now Bush-haters... relax... take a deep breath... all that anger is so unhealthy. Next time don't forget to take your Prozac.

February 22, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  12. Sarah L, Fayetteville, AR

I'm sure there will be a good collection of picture books. Maybe some stories about goats?

February 22, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  13. Jack

all libraries in the world should change their names to "house of learning" so that they can't be put in the same sentance as this travesty. libraries of the world are mouning today...

February 22, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  14. Tom, Austin TX

I'm sure everyone at SMU can't wait for opening of the "George W Bush Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too".

February 22, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  15. American Patriot

That's right people, and guess what?

Your going to be taxed for it and your going to pay to have it buildt and Bush and his crook daddy and crook family will attend and boast and brag and laugh that they got away with all they did.

The fact the American people will not March on washington and demand his impeachment, tells me Americans are a bunch of wimps and cowards and will JUST TAKE IT. You all look like COWARDS in the eyes of the world.

Americans have no guits..........................................................

February 22, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  16. Frank Lee

I hope they have allowed enough space, because everything he's put his hand to has been written with crayons or magic markers.

February 22, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  17. Matt

As a student at SMU I think the library is a great thing, I'm one of those "mysterious 30%" who have the opinion that Bush was the right President at the right time. His Presidency has been defined by tough decisions but I always have felt that he's acted in the best interest of the country. I believe history will eventually show that despite negative popular opinion and critics, the choices made here in the beginning of the 21st century were the correct ones. In other words, Bush is a solid dude and I'm proud to have the library here at SMU.

February 22, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  18. Bendo

omg...gag....caugh.......choke. unbelievable! and you know what the most intersting thing of all, there will actually be actual people who will visit...and pay money to get in...who was it that said..."there's a sucker born every day"....BT Barnum!

February 22, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  19. jo

I WONDER IF THIS LIBRARY IS GONNA HAVE ACCESS TO THE INTERNETS AND THE WEBS.

February 22, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  20. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I hope this library contains a book with the name and life history of every soldier that was killed in the Iraq war from the beginning of Bush's presidency until the end of the Iraq war. This would be Bush's legacy.

February 22, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  21. keith Franklin, Tn

Let's see now....Karl Rove will be your moderator and Tom Delay will taking your money...er...I mean admission ticket money. Halliburton will be in charge of security and Donald Rumseld will help make up things about the Bush Monarchy....er... I mean the Gestapo....er... I mean the Bush Liablity....er.... I mean Bush Illegitimacy...er...I mean Bush Legacy. The oil companies will underwrite the cost of the building while they take time off from buildings all those new refineries they promised for those tax cuts. Bush himself will be taking Grammar lessons and sleeping 14 hrs. a day like he does now.

OHHH BOY...what a Dizzy World they live in!!!!!!!

February 22, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  22. BIG T FROM DA AT...L

Can Bush even read?

February 22, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  23. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Is it in Iraq or hell?

February 22, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  24. Library Contents

Let me save them the space, and put the entire Bush library right here:

[redacted]

February 22, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  25. Dan

I'm all for the interactive displays showing his frequent grammar errors, that's something that could benefit future generations!

Are they going to have comic books?

February 22, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |