February 23rd, 2008

Clinton: 'Shame on you, Barack Obama'

ALT TEXT

Clinton is upset with two mailers the Obama campaign is sending out in Ohio. (Photo credit: AP)

CINCINNATI (CNN) – Sen. Hillary Clinton, needing wins in delegate-rich Texas and Ohio to overtake Sen. Barack Obama in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, ramped up her criticism of Obama Saturday, accusing his team of negative campaign tactics "straight out of Karl Rove's playbook."

Clinton addressed two mailings the Obama campaign distributed in Ohio - one that lambasts her position on the North American Free Trade Agreement, which her husband, former President Bill Clinton, signed into law, and another that criticizes her proposed health-care plan.

"I have to express my deep disappointment - he is continuing to send false and discredited mailings with information that is not true to the voters of Ohio," she said, shaking the mailings to punctuate her remarks.

The NAFTA mailer accuses Clinton of switching her position on the trade agreement, saying the senator from New York was a "champion" for NAFTA while first lady, but now opposes it.

The mailer on health care was "reminiscent of the health insurance industry's attack on what we tried to do the last time we went after universal health care," Clinton said. It says her proposal would force everyone to buy health insurance, whether they could afford it or not, a charge Clinton vehemently denied.

"Sen. Obama knows it is not true that my plan forces people to buy insurance even if they can't afford it," she said.

The mailers are "blatantly false and yet he continues to spend millions of dollars perpetuating falsehoods. That is not the new politics that the speeches are about," she said. "It is not hopeful; it is destructive."

She added, "Shame on you, Barack Obama - it is time that you ran a campaign consistent with your messages in public. That is what I expect from you. Meet me in Ohio and let's have a debate about your tactics and your behavior in this campaign."

Obama spokesman Bill Burton denied Clinton's assertions that the mailers were false.

Full story

1. mk

One should practice what they preach.
    She has "implied" many things about Obama, not the least of which was her comparison of Obama to George Bush. I would say that kind of remark makes it "open season" on Hillary.

February 23, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  2. Violet

I thought Obama was going to do away with politics as usual.

Oh, I guess he meant after he's elected.

February 23, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  3. JB

Well, instead of just denying it, respond to it, and correct him if need be.

It is interesting that she did not address the NAFTA issue. I am sure because she has nothing to say. Her husband pushed it, and she backed him. Now they realize it is bad.

By the way, why is this even news. The Primary is over, Obama won!

February 23, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  4. Tonia

Now that you are behind by 11, in the bottom of the ninth inning, you want to cry foul?? C'mon HRC, give me a break.

February 23, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. John (PA)

I don't understand how the health care flier is supposedly false. Doesn't Hillary's plan require everyone to buy health insurance? Didn't she say that she would garnish wages from people who ignored the mandate?

February 23, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  6. Give me a break!!!

As you, Hillary, would say, "Give me a break"

That's negative? That's the TRUTH? Can you deny that as being the truth?

That's a BIG difference than the negative adds that Hillary has put out there. Her adds are lies or half truths. Whatever you call them they are lies!

VOTE OBAMA '08

February 23, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  7. Bob, Roxboro, NC

As usual the plan for universal health care does not address the greed of insurance companies and the medical profession.

Far be it from our politicians to ever address the root cause of any issue,,,not when money can be squeezed from Mr and Mrs John Q Public.

February 23, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  8. George

I just saw this on tv and if a "false mailer" gets her riled up like that – she aint seen nothing yet if she were to become president. Then again – the chances of that happening are......

February 23, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  9. HP Boston

Barack is a phony, he is so far up the low road ya right. He is a sleazy scumbag. All the crap he spews of how united we stand divided we fall is LIES. He lies and he blow smoke up every ones azz till they are dazed in the blast from his mouth ,empty WORDS SPEW FORTH! The cult of the sanctimonious drug taker , bad boy OBAMA !

February 23, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  10. Eric

The truth hurts. I do my research, and those mailers are true. Plus if they weren't, Hillary would have said something in Thursday's debate. Obama is not throwing mud or attacking Hillary. He is just stating the facts.

If Hillary is getting angry over this, than i know that she would loose the general debate, because the GOP guys is going to throw much more mud her way.

That's why Barrack is the best candidate. Hillary is to Polarizing.

February 23, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  11. BB

Shame on you "Senator Clinton" GARNISHING WAGES for MANDATORY HEALTH INSURANCE taking money away from FAMILIES does not deserve a VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 23, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  12. Thomas

I just don't understand how anyone can support such a plainly dishonest person. Say anything, do anything.

February 23, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  13. California Voter

Awaiting moderation, I'm sure.

As the news media will not challenge Obama and his campaign on his half-truths and outright negative campaigning, Clinton must continue to respond to these kinds of mailings. I know the American public wants a hero to save them, but that's like hoping getting married will save you as a person.

By the way, I haven't done a fact check on this but I just heard that Obama has proposed some legislation that would require the US to provide foreign aid to Africa equal to 7% of our GDP. Is there some connection here to his membership in the Trinity United Church of Christ? America, ask questions before it's too late.

February 23, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  14. HILLARY = Champion of Negativity

WHat's wrong Hillary, you are afraid that he will take your Divisive/Negativity Championship award away from you? That's not possible!!!

That's one of the BIG reasons you are loosing. You are way too divisive and negative to be President. I am not just talking about your adds (remember your adds in Wisconsin.PLEASE!!!)

Oh, yes, you are also loosing because you have run such a bad financial campaigning. We don't want our president spending like that and being disorganized like that!

February 23, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  15. Rick

More deception from the Obama campaign. When will we see through his charade? Didn't George W. Bush dupe you 8 years ago into allowing him to walk into the White House unscrutinized?

February 23, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  16. Nancy

I hope the media will finally start investigating Obama's tactics. It seems CNN and the other media outlets have annointed him without scrutiny. Even the picture on the CNN politics homepage yesterday showed a favorable picture of him and a side view of her. Your biases in this election have really turned me off to CNN.

February 23, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  17. Micah

Wow. I'm really not surprised. I can't wait for this cult-like following of Barack Obama's to end. I'm hoping that members of my party will wake up and get real. Barack Obama is not MLK Jr. Barack Obama is not JFK. Barack Obama is not Bill Clinton. He is no where close to the greatness that those three men contributed to this great country. If we were in a time of peace and prosperity Barack Obama would be a fine President but how on Earth do voters think a one-term senator is going to be able to manage the war in Iraq, health care, the economy and the many other problems Americans face on a daily basis. He will be another Jimmy Carter. Wake up Democrats we just gained control again and we're going to throw it all away.

February 23, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  18. Patty

Once again hypocrisy rears its ugly head in that the Obama campaign is critical of anything negative from the Clinton camp but finds no problems with sending out their own negativity and misleading advertisements. I suppose the media will gloss over this double standard as they usually do. What a shame that the democratic race is now being shown such a lopsided coverage of real events complaining about the same indiscretion from one side yet ignoring the identical behavior from the other.

February 23, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  19. Anonymous

Shame on you Barack. You stated that you want to run a campaing based on honesty.

February 23, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  20. ShameOnHer

Sounds to me like she's desperate..and hoping these "mailers" will put a villianous spin on Barakand his campaign ..but it will backfire(mark my words)

February 23, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  21. Rosemarie

About time everyone started voting for Hillary, she is the best Democratic Canditate. I was just watching a speech by Obama on stage somewhere, behind him were dark lights and a set of drums, and spotlights on him,spending money on entertaining people he does well ,and has sucked them all right in.

WAKE UP AMERICA – YOU ARE BACKING THE WRONG PERSON!

Hillary 08

February 23, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  22. Lynne

I just heard Ms. Clinton's speech on the mailers. I am for Obama, but respect the work Ms. Clinton has done over the years. I'm afraid now she sounds like a sore loser. She is hurting the party-just what the Republicans hoped for.

February 23, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  23. Mati

Obama is a disgusting politician. He attacks even stronger now because he thinks he got immunity as the front runner.

Do not forget that he got half of the popular vote so far. Even worse.. I did a quick check of the total number of votes using data posted by CNN.. I acknowledge this is just an estimation, maybe someone can come with the real numbers..

Without Michigan, and adding primary votes and caucus votes (I know they are not equivalent, but this shows the stupidity of the caucus system), and including Florida (where both candidates where equally placed) Hillary has 10,090,248 and Obama has 9,525,645 votes.

If we take out Florida, Hillary has 9,233,040 and Obama has 8,956,604.

So, why does never media tell this story? I would welcome a better account of the total number of votes so some of you stop this propaganda that Obama represents the voice of the majority of voters. No, so far she seems to be ahead regarding the popular vote. Is this true?

If its democracy, let it be.

February 23, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  24. Chris

The wicked taketh the truth to be hard.

Shame of you Hillary for continuously lying and flip flopping. Didn't you say you are going to take money from people's wages?

Hillary is clearly desperate.

Good job Obama. We would like to see more truth come out.

February 23, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  25. Desiree

Barack Obama talks about hope and change but he doesn't practice what he preaches.

February 23, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |