February 23rd, 2008

Clinton pushes debate moment in new ad

A new ad shows Clinton's final moment at Thursday's CNN debate.
A new ad shows Clinton's final moment at Thursday's CNN debate.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democrat Hillary Clinton is launching a new ad in Ohio and Texas Saturday that features portions of her widely-praised final answer in CNN's debate last week - the campaign's latest effort to make the moment a defining one in the New York senator's White House bid.

The 60 second spot called "Resolved" shows much of Clinton's final moment at Thursday's debate during which she said, "You know the hits I've taken are nothing compared to what goes on every single day in the lives of people across our country."

"I resolved at a very young age that I'd been blessed and that I was called by my faith and by my upbringing to do what I could to give others the same opportunities and blessings that I took for granted," Clinton is also seen saying in the ad.

Bill Clinton also sent a fundraising e-mail to supporters Saturday seeking $1.3 million dollars to run the ad in all the March 4 primary states.

"Everyone in the upcoming primary states of Ohio, Texas, Rhode Island, and Vermont needs to see that moment," the former president writes in the e-mail.

The spot is one of four new ads launching in either Ohio or Texas - the two delegate rich states that Clinton's campaign has deemed crucial.

A 30 second spot hitting Texas airwaves called "Deliver" touts the New York senator's accomplishments with regards to healthcare and education, and the ad's narrator, in an implicit swipe at rival Barack Obama, says, "In Texas, when there's work to be done, talk doesn't cut it."

In Ohio, former Sen. John Glenn is the star of a new 30 second ad called "Proud," in which he touts Clinton's economic record: "As long as Annie and I have known her, Hillary's fought for working people," Glenn, who endorsed Clinton earlier this month, says.

Another 30 second ad hitting Ohio airwaves called "level" also pushes the New York senator's economic record, characterizing her as a fighter "for America's middle class."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Peter Damoah-Afari

Obama mentioned most of these facts during the debate in Texas, and Hillary did not say anything. Why now? How different will the Ohio be from that of Texas. Obama will not fight you....He will win by using simple analysis to debunk all your points.

February 23, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  2. Stephen

The real agent of change is Clinton.

February 23, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  3. Gil - California

Great Job Hill. and we'll have to post John Edwards statement along side it to show what a thieving xeroxing little snippet stealer you are. Lahoosaher

February 23, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. Tom in Ohio

Too bad everyone knows it wasn't an original statement. I gave her such high marks from the debate because of her closing statement, but after realizing it wasn't at all heartfelt and genuine as everyone thought,. It really doesn't have all that much of a positive effect anymore and actually might hurt her here in Ohio. We, like many Americans are struggling with job loss, foreclosures, high gas prices, childcare, healthcare, greoceries, etc. We don't have time for wasteful Oscar moment performances, we need REAL SOLUTIONS. What happened to you giving us that Hillary!

February 23, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  5. Steve

Play the victim again?

How many times is the Clinton campaign going to change its message?

Rather pathetic.

February 23, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  6. Jenny

Hmmm, I wonder if the ad also mentions that she stole these lines from John Edwards and her husband? I also wonder if she'll run an ad featuring a clip of the debate where she got booed.

I read something on here after the debate. It was someone who said they were at the opening for the Center for the Intrepid. This is where Clinton says she was. The person said Clinton lied, she showed up 15 minutes late to the opening, and it was very disrespectful.

February 23, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  7. David Jones

what a nice way to capitalise on a borrowed speech; plueaseee give Bill & Edwards credit for these emotional lines because we are not buying it; playing a victim in this election is not going to cut it!

We know you have had so many hits; but if you husband cheat on you, the reasonable thing to do is divorce him and move on; but you stayed because you want to ride on his back to the White House!

Phluaseee, give me a break!!!

VOTE ANYTHING BUT CLINTON!!!!

February 23, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  8. harry K

Go Hillary GO!

February 23, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  9. Cesaria

There's nothing authentic or real about this lady. She accuses Barack of what her campaign has embraced, Rovian tactics and destroying the Democratic base, and then in the other breath is proud to be in a race with this same man. I'm tired of her and her seemingly many messages and mindsets.

February 23, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  10. Joe Ossai, Bedford, NH

And we thought that debate moment was sincere, this lady will scoop to any level to win. What a loser

February 23, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  11. McCain Democrats

Rove and company are about to be exposed to alot of investigations about erased White House emails, abuse of power and on and on.
    There is one way they can avoid the trouble, help nominate Obama, then trounce him in the General Election. Is it any wonder Obama is using the old Harry and Louise fliers?

February 23, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  12. OBAMA 08

Won't help. We have figured out her tactics. And this election is not about her tactics, bur our future. We want none of what she has to offer. We want to break clean withe the gutter politics of the past. We know her vote record. Her crying, her false accusations, her lobbyists, and her husband well.

February 23, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  13. surfandscience

Fought for working people??? Is that what that Bankruptcy bill was that see supported??? A bill to help working people?? I guess the executives of the credit card companies are considered working people... even if it meant screwing over millions of other working people.
    and she accuses Obama of dirty tactics.... thats the pot calling the kettle black.
    I think I would rather have Bush for another 4 years before having Hillary as President for even one year.

February 23, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  14. Linlo

If people want to see the REAL Hillary, please see her lunatic ranting in the article below. Do we really want a President that will scream and scold like this? Very UNpresidential, UNprofessional, and UNladylike.

February 23, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  15. Tonya

Hillary a great politican. I adore her. However, her recent flip flopping is making we weiry. Our goal is to bring change about. It amuse me that she can critize Obama, but cannot take the heat when she is called on her our political stands on healthcare and NAFTA.

February 23, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  16. I'mFreakedOut

Okay,

She's starting to really freak me out. She's acting calm one second and then irate another second. I am just not understanding. She is really starting to scare me and don't tell me it's just a woman thing because I'm a woman and I don't get this way.

February 23, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  17. Ilene, Livonia MI

OMG!! Hillary, you are such a manipulating liar. Please vote Obama and get rid of this woman!!!!! Hillary...GO HOME!!!!!!

February 23, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  18. mike

She really just needs to quit.

February 23, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  19. Bev

You mean that O poor me Hillary is actually going to pay for some advertising? Why not just throw another tantrum and attack Obama it is bound to get some free publicity.

February 23, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  20. hkitty

Obama=GW

All talk, no substance. In the debate, he followed Clinton's lead on every question. This guy is really really really not very good. I'm not voting for another GW. By the way, didn't vote for GW, but I won't vote for a Dem version.

February 23, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  21. Kaleon02

Does the ad also include the words she lifted from John Edwards at the end of the debates on Thursday (e.g., we will be fine.....)?

February 23, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  22. Yes We Can

Clinton keeps referring to having 35 years of experience. As what.....a spouse of a powerful man? She's only been a senator a couple years longer than Obama. Name ONE thing she's accomplished as a senator.

February 23, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  23. RT

Wasn't she accused of plagerizing her final moment quotes from Bill Clinton from the 1992 campaign? This is after she accused Obama of plagerizing Deval Patrick in the same debate. What a fraud.

Obama '08

February 23, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  24. Rosie

Hillary is right. And Obama is behaving like a spoiled diva. He is all flash and not much substance. That he draws a crowd is fine – but how many of his followers know anything about the policy positions of either candidate. How many of those screaming, dancing fans understand what it means to be president and how critical it is now, after 8 years of total incompetence? How many of them understand the health care crisis in this country??? (I have been an activist for universal health care since before the 1992 election and was a delegate to the '92 convention.)

February 23, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |