February 23rd, 2008

Obama: I'd get different treatment if I lost as much as Clinton

Obama said Saturday there would be more pressure on him to drop out if he had lost as many contests as Clinton.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton's campaign says it remains upbeat about the New York senator's White House chances, but rival Barack Obama said Saturday he would likely be treated differently if his campaign had suffered a similar string of losses as her's.

Asked in Ohio by a reporter if he would be treated differently had he lost as many contests as Clinton, Obama said, "Yes."

But Obama said he understands why the treatment is different, saying it would require a knockout blow for Clinton to quit because she's "part of the Democratic network in Washington."

"Look, I'm the challenger, I'm the upstart," he said. "I'm the insurgent - she's, she's the champ. She's part of the Democratic network in Washington and, you know, if you're the title holder then you don't lose it on points. You got to be knocked out."

After essentially tying Obama in the string of states that voted February 5, Clinton has suffered 11 straight losses to the Illinois senator, most recently in the Democrats abroad contest earlier this week.

In a conference call with reporters earlier Saturday, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson denied reports some Clinton backers feel Obama has all but locked up the nomination, and said voters in the March 4 primary contests won't base their vote on his string of victories.

"The mood is upbeat, Sen. Clinton is working hard everyday," he said. "Momentum is a media storyline, but that is not an issue on which voters vote."

UPDATE: An earlier version of this report incorrectly stated Obama said he would quit if he had lost as many contests as Clinton.

– CNN's Alexander Mooney

1. mk

OK, OK, we feel so sorry for you...

February 23, 2008 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  2. Marie

Obama, I have read the article on Newsmax titled The Real Barack Obama. I am amazed that you are really on the campaign trail stating "you are a uniter of all".
    You are not practicing what you preach!

I join Hillary in saying "Shame on You" and so should America!

February 23, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  3. Leeza

sigh...

February 23, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  4. Ronald, American living Abroad

Shame on you CNN for aiding and abetting HRC's campaign. What a pathetic "update."

February 23, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  5. Fem from Knoxville, TN

If I may go the way of Hillary, "shame on you" CNN for twisting what sen. Obama said. It is clear you guys are biased, you are just pretending to be neutral. Do you the magnitude of the damage your unprofessional reporting had done in your bid to sound the tune being played by your piper. Shame, shame

February 23, 2008 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  6. Cindy

Do we have a video of what he actually said? Just so we can clear up any misunderstanding, ifyaknowhatImean.....

February 23, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  7. Chicago23

This is consistently becoming a habit of incorrect news reporting on all outlets....

February 23, 2008 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  8. Reality check

Why has CNN not reported anything on the friendship of Obama and Ayers and Dorhn, better known for their involvement with the Weathermen or Weather Underground? These were two people who were involved with terriost activities in bombings in the USA.. Ayers committed that he did not regret setting off bombs, he felt they did not do enough. Are CNN reporters not wanting any of these reports out? You can bet a war hero like McCain will dig right into it. I will vote for Clinton, if she does not get the nomination, then my vote will belong to McCain and I have never voted Republican.

February 23, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  9. Ellis In Houston, Texas

Arrogance: is when you become so sure of your self that you lift the same hand that you sworn to defend the constitution with and say ... I did not have sex with that woman in the oval office on taxpayer time, and with all the world watching. Then come back and say... maybe I did after all.

Mrs. Clinton sometimes acts as if she is some how entitled to the nomination just because she was there in the white house. We know now that just because you live in the white house does not mean you know what is going on in the white house.

If Mr. Obama had lost 11 in a row the heads of the party would have told him to drop out to keep the focus on the bigger prize.

The mail outs are true; it is just that Mrs. Clinton wants it both ways. She wants us to remember all the good things her and hubby Bill did when they were in office...like push NAFTA through and get it signed for His boy GW the 1st. which caused thousands to lose their jobs to cheap labor ; yet when someone calls her on it she goes postal and shows her true heart in a attempt to distance herself form Bill.

However, it is what is; they did it and now Mr. Obama is giving them all they can stand.
    Remember the first debates when Mrs. Clinton would not even look at Mr. Obama and she would talk down to him as if he should have been glad she let him in the room. That is Arrogance. The writing is on the wall there will be no come back.

February 23, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  10. Jackie

Dear Obama:

I am a moderate democrat with some republican values. I am highly educated with a doctorate and I am a white female. I do not like you and here is why:

1) you are arrogant and a liar
    2) you are inexperienced and guliable
    3) you are just wrong for this country

On the debate you elluded to the fact that Hillary implied that your supporters are being dupted.

I say yes, yes they are. You have a campaign that is creating messages about you. You didn't create those messages. Your speeches are the work of others not yours. I believe that you are an artful liar....you are George Bush.

You scare me Obama. You come across as a puppet to the senate. A yes man no man whatever you say man. Are you really an independant thinker? You really have not shown that.

Barack I will not vote for you, My husband will not vote for you. My father in law will not vote for you. Well, my entire family in the state of PA will not vote for you. You may get the nomination, Hell you may even dupe the country into voting you into the white house.

But you will NEVER have my support. I dislike you with every breath I take and NOTHING will ever change that.

February 23, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  11. Linda B

What planet is this guy from???? He's 69 delegates ahead. That is NOT a mandate. I really don't care if he won Idaho in a silly, undemocratic caucus. There are a lot of us who haven't voted yet. And we will NOT be denied our vote simply because Sen. Obama has never had a tough election fight before and wants the Red Sea to part in front of his fake little messianic hands.

February 23, 2008 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  12. Susan, Orlando

OMG, excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor. HE would be treated differently as if to suggest he has not been already? This guy can part the Red Sea, walk on water, and fall into a pile of s- and come out smelling like a rose with the press as well as his cult worshipers. He has had a free ride since the very beginning; but then I guess if you really haven't any experience and choose not to vote on tough issues, there isn't much to go after. Don't worry little man, the media won't let anything happen to you.... don't let any of this interfere with your ego trip.

February 23, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  13. Ohio

Hey , I keep saying this but no one of the clinton supporters our answering. If you are tired of CNN "biasim" why do you keep coming back?

This shows you how unbias CNN was. It incorrectly tarnished Obamas campaign. It has already done its damage for most wont read the article again. but lets just keep blaming CNN.

Obama media darlin? I remember at the start everyon was saying how great Clinton was and how larg she will win by. Its Media they go along whos winning. Clitin cheered at the media then but ow calls out on everyone that we are dilusional.

Dilusonal is NAFTA, Iraq war, saying anything to win, doing anything to win, and useing our soldiers as way to get american sympathy after she sends them to Iraq.

February 23, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  14. Jim

I would like to see the Actual transcript from the reporter. CNN has proven they can no longer be trusted in reporting unbiased truth. Hillary spoke in New Orleans and they said they would cover it. THEY DID NOT!

He is still wrong no matter which way he said it and shows his arrogance. The new version sounds like he is subtly putting race is back in the picture. Why else would they treat him differently IF they did.

February 23, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  15. Tanya

Uh...how would he be treated differently...you mean ripped to shreds and stomped on , by CNN ??? LOL !!!!!
    Scary....but doubt it.

February 23, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  16. Ron, TX

I think the biased nature of the first "version" of this story, with all its inaccuracy, is a perfect example of what Barack Obama is talking about. The media will check everyone Hillary before running a story, but they jump at the chance to just post whatever might sound bad about Obama.

Obama ABSOLUTELY would be treated differently if he just lost 11 contests in a row. He would be under such immense reporting pressure by the media that he is out, that he was just an upstart phenomenon, that it wouldn't even be HIS choice, it'd be the media's choice.

Clinton, she's lost ELEVEN times! -11-! She's only won a THIRD of the primaries and caucuses across America. A THIRD! Obama was won 66% of the contests so far. That's the real story.

February 23, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  17. ChicoSez

Yes, he would get different treatment. The media would be telling us how that only the big states count anyway. Idaho, Utah and Alaska will never vote democratic anyway. And the big question would be, why couldn't Hillary win the major states? That's what the media would be saying if the two candidates positions were reversed. He's had a free ride. Because of the media and his followeres treating him like the next coming of Christ. it's literally not safe to openly criticize Obama. Travis Smiley tried it and got death threats. Thats the politics of hope.

February 23, 2008 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  18. Luz in Texas

Who knows more about the economy than Paul Volcker? Latinos for Obama!

February 23, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  19. Jean Bloemendaal

I am an 81 year old life-time Republican, but I am rooting for Barak Obama. He's the closest person to Abe Lincoln we've had in all my years of voting.
    He will heal our wounds, restore our dignity and help us to reach our goals of equality for all. He won't hand it to us, but he will help us attain it.
    Our politicians are greedy, self-serving and so far removed from mainstream America that we are all totally discouraged and frightened.
    We need someone we like and trust. I like this young man.

February 23, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  20. Indie in NY

I watched the interview and CNN misquoted Obama and finally got around to correcting it with this. CNN is to Clinton, what FOX is to Republicans. I laugh every time I see a Clinton supporter claiming CNN (Clinton News Network) is biased toward Obama as quite the opposite it true. They just got called out on this one and had to retract.

February 23, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  21. CJ

Obama hides........... hes phoney......... he likes the way the media kisses up to him

February 23, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  22. El Dorado

Laura is right. The Obama story makes money now, but wait it's not over yet. The media is waiting for the day and so am I.

February 23, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  23. Oh Please!

Pride goes before the fall, Mr Obama. Your arrogance is showing.
    Stupid comments like this and McCains about Castro will only help Hillary.

February 23, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  24. Andrew

yeah, right...don't ya just love how cnn changed the title of the article. hmmm...and who exactly is the media darling?

February 23, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  25. Mike

Obama you just lost my vote.....You are like all the politicians!!! going negative and playing Washington games. You have no idea about how to deal with foreign relations or you lied about the troops and using Taliban's weapons!!!

February 23, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |