February 23rd, 2008

Obama: I'd get different treatment if I lost as much as Clinton

Obama said Saturday there would be more pressure on him to drop out if he had lost as many contests as Clinton.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton's campaign says it remains upbeat about the New York senator's White House chances, but rival Barack Obama said Saturday he would likely be treated differently if his campaign had suffered a similar string of losses as her's.

Asked in Ohio by a reporter if he would be treated differently had he lost as many contests as Clinton, Obama said, "Yes."

But Obama said he understands why the treatment is different, saying it would require a knockout blow for Clinton to quit because she's "part of the Democratic network in Washington."

"Look, I'm the challenger, I'm the upstart," he said. "I'm the insurgent - she's, she's the champ. She's part of the Democratic network in Washington and, you know, if you're the title holder then you don't lose it on points. You got to be knocked out."

After essentially tying Obama in the string of states that voted February 5, Clinton has suffered 11 straight losses to the Illinois senator, most recently in the Democrats abroad contest earlier this week.

In a conference call with reporters earlier Saturday, Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson denied reports some Clinton backers feel Obama has all but locked up the nomination, and said voters in the March 4 primary contests won't base their vote on his string of victories.

"The mood is upbeat, Sen. Clinton is working hard everyday," he said. "Momentum is a media storyline, but that is not an issue on which voters vote."

UPDATE: An earlier version of this report incorrectly stated Obama said he would quit if he had lost as many contests as Clinton.

– CNN's Alexander Mooney

1. Anthony

OBAMA: "Change for the better." Mud slinging is not the solution to the crtical issues that affect our country. "A house (country) divided against itself, will fall." I want a leader who can bring our country together so that we can be self-sufficient on energy, national security, the economy, education & healthcare issues. The solution is not abroad, but within our borders. OBAMA!

February 23, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  2. 2bzy4foolishness

One word for CNN – Obamabias

One word for Obama – Arrogant

February 23, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  3. Amy

with all due respect to you guys....

I have to say, it cracks me up how all the Obama supporters cry foul on CNN for being too kind to Clinton, and all the Clinton supporters claim CNN has a crush on Obama.

Meanwhile, McCain supporters sit back and laugh at you guys ripping your party apart.

February 23, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  4. Vinnie

OH, boo hoo. Whatever dude. You're just as "slick" as any politician out there so stop being all about the people...it's insulting.

February 23, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  5. Tina ny, ny

please give me a break. CNN stopped posting anti-obama remarks for black state union. They do it so that other don't read what viewers actually think

February 23, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  6. Jeremy

CNN, I hope Hillary wins the presidency and I hope she never forgets how you made it so much harder for her to get there. I watch Fox more and more now because it's obvious Obamamania has also infected CNN.

February 23, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  7. Marie

I do not know in what to believe. It is amazing! You already changed the story? That is not the kind of change that we are looking for.
    I hope that Obama will disagree with you in this one. I do not want this change. Too quick.

February 23, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  8. changing times

You guys obviously DID NOT SEE the press conference! I did and the first story as I said during the first story was WRONG!!! This one is correct, the picture caption is still wrong. Again I repeat I watched the press conference and he was not asked if he would quit. He was asked if he would have been pressured to quit by the party if he had lost 11 straight, his answer was yes. End of Story!

February 23, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  9. Sam- Hershey, PA

I THINK CNN SHOULD BE APPLAUDED FOR CORRECTING THE ENTRY.

WE HONESTLY SHOULDN'T EXPECT ANYTHING LESS FROM THEM THAN TRUTHFUL & ACCURATE REPORTING.

THE TRUTH IS: Obama NEVER stated that he would "quit if he lost like Hillary"...and that is the honest to God's truth!

I, too, was alarmed to see the manner in which the first two ticker entries were reported..it came off as sensational and inflammatory.

I saw Obama's live press conference on CNN, and NEVER EVER did he utter the words, "I'd Quit If I Lost Like Clinton"....the authors of this post took some journalistic liberty in the worst way.

He simply answered, YES, to the question of "If you had lost 11 contests in a row, do you think people would be pressuring you to quit"...nothing more, and nothing less.

CONGRATULATIONS to CNN for doing the right thing and making the correction

-Sam in PA

February 23, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  10. Amparo

Scott Struble writes....One thing remains true for young voters; anyone under the age of 42 has only seen a Clinton or a Bush on the ballot for President in each general election since they were old enough to vote. Perhaps the country is ready for a real change of leadership.

Or perhaps we LOVE the Clinton years in between and that is why we want for Hillary to be the president.

Does you inspirational leader of hope and change inspires you to be rude to those 40 and older??? you are going to get there too, you know. So let's HOPE that when you CHANGE to become 42 people will treat you with more kidness.

February 23, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  11. CNN Obama lover

I thought this kind of thing will happen only in PRChina`s forums.

CNN, shame on you.

February 23, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  12. Mike

Diamond, he needs 2025, he is not even close. So why should leave now. I hate to tell you but without all Democrats coming together, he will never win the white house.

February 23, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  13. Ann

Obama says: she's "part of the Democratic network in Washington."

I can't believe it! You are coming from Washington too and look who supports you. When Ted Kennedy is your supporter and master, how do you dare to say you are the 'challenger, the upstart'?

And yes, CNN is biased. I heard the arrogant Obama on TV. This kind of attitude pushed away good candidates. Yeah, making history with Obama. Do not forget Hillary is supported by half of the people who voted so far, and this woman is a fighter.

February 23, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  14. Klaus H. Bricke

Obama got special treatment from the media from the beginning , especially from NBC / MSNBC and until today we don't know why ??
    Why did an entire network change into anti Clinton mode ? This has been unprecedentent in political reporting . When even Fox News is more even-handed and fair something is wrong and something is definitely suspicius there ! We will probably never know !

February 23, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  15. bk

He is so arrogant. He reminds me of George Bush more everyday. I think I will go vote over a hundred times present and see if people think I can make decisions. I will also go smoke, use drugs and see if they think I have good judgement. Oh yea and he didn't vote on the war,did he? So we are suppose to believe he would have and its ok that John Kerry voted for the war and Obama asked him to support him. Oh and he's for Change so he begs Ted Kennedy to support him. People please wake up.

February 23, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  16. Rebecca - Fresno, CA

Well...my original response was not included here....maybe CNN will include this one....... Thank you CNN for changing the headline. I watched the entire press conference and found that the headline appeared to be envoking controversy where there wasn't any. His tone was not at all arrogant and most people that actually saw it in its entirety would know that. Thorough and objective reporting is the best way to go...Lay out the facts and let the readers decide. Thanks again!

February 23, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  17. Joe

Obamaniacs, just let people vote, wouldn't you? We all know that the Clintons have done nothing except helping people all their lives. Hillary started since 14. How old was Obama when he started?

February 23, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  18. onaje

why did cnn change the title to the story? wasn't it different earlier?

February 23, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  19. dave

If you vote Hillary, are you in fact voting Bill back into office?
    What's their motives to get back into the White House ?

February 23, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  20. 15Cruise

On Super Tuesday, CNN analysts were surprised by the number of wins that Barack Obama had among the primaries. At one point, I think Blitzer was going to choke on the results.
    I do believe that the media and all the Hillary Clinton supporters would be calling for him to drop out of the race already. Because of her "history in politics", the media has taken it easy on her. When you think about it, they didn't have to say anything about her dropping out, HER OWN HUSBAND DID THAT.

February 23, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  21. CNN Obama lover

This should the NO1 NEWS for all other news programs--CNN endorses OBAMA by Changing wind direction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 23, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  22. Marina

She is the MASTER at using the Karl Rove playbook because its all she's been doing from the beginning! Senator Obama isn't good at playing games...........he tells the truth and she accuses him?........The fact is Hillary, THE TRUTH HURTS DOESN'T IT and thats why she sees RED.

February 23, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  23. Woodgate

He's totally right on what he said! Think about it, he would have had alot more pressure to drop out. Go Hillary, maybe vice-prez?

Oh and if Hillary wins she will take the Gov of Ohio on the Ticket and leave Obama in the cold...

February 23, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  24. Pamela

OBAMA AN OPPORTUNIST???? Hiliary's picture is next to the definition of the the word. Pick up your Webster and look ! Hilary was so certain of a coronation based on her husband's legacy that she shined up her crown and rehearsed how she'd crown herself while her loyal simpletons watched. Enough of the dynasty families at the helm of this nation. We are smarter than that and we deserve better.

February 23, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  25. Forest for the Trees

I hope the news picks up on this mishap and shows all about it. That Obama made a major PR blunder....the public jumped on his ARROGANT BASH, and than, in a matter of minutes, CNN pulled the story.

There's the true story.

Hey CNN does Obama have you in his back pockets, what happened to "were keeping them honest."

This is such Bullocks.