February 24th, 2008

Nader enters race

Nader said Sunday he will mount another presidential run.
Nader said Sunday he will mount another presidential run.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Ralph Nader announced Sunday he is entering the presidential race as an Independent.

In an interview with NBC's "Meet the Press," the consumer advocate said great changes in U.S. history have come "through little parties that never won any national election."

"Dissent is the mother of ascent," he said. "And in that context I've decided to run for president."

Nader, who turns 74 this week, complained of the "paralysis of the government," which he said is under the control of corporate executives and lobbyists.

It marks his fourth straight White House bid - fifth if his 1992 write-in campaign is included.

Nader's entry into the race did not come as a surprise to political watchers.

On Sunday, Sen. Barack Obama criticized him. "My sense is that Mr. Nader is somebody who, if you don't listen and adopt all of his policies, thinks you're not substantive," Obama told reporters when asked about Nader's possible candidacy.

Full story

– CNN's Josh Levs

Filed under: Ralph Nader
  1. Dr Uvo Oghre-Ikanone

I know it your constitutional right to run for office Mr Nader. I implore you to stay away. For you have a way of distorting the destiny of my country with your pointless action . Even if you decide against my candid advice you will be wasting you time.
    Your entering the race is like seeing a one trick pony going to perform again and I on behalf all Americans are tired and bored of the same old trick.

February 24, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  2. Rooky

This is such a waste. The reasoning behind this is sickening. Why?

February 24, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  3. J

Nader you idiot.... get out of the race.... and stop... handing... elections... to... Republicans....

Obama has it exactly right, and Nader should do America a favor and get the heck out!

February 24, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  4. Sukie - Oregon

I am so happy Nader is going to join in the fray!

Obama is all fluff, Hillary is fading rapidly, I want the war to end so I can't vote for McCain.

And I like the idea of an Independent.

I was thinking who in heck I would vote for, now I have Nader!

He's BAAAAAACK!

February 24, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  5. Kevin Topeka, KS

"He seems to have a pretty high opinion of his own work."

Wow, Barack. If that isn't the Black calling the kettle pot.

February 24, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  6. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Another old man and it's time for them to find something else to do, like investigate the abuse in senior citizens homes. The country needs to move forward with bright new innovative ways, not backwards. They just don't get it.

February 24, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  7. ndr

Has he not done enough damage to this country? OMG, thank you Ralph for 8 years of the most destructive, incompetent presidency on record. He did so much good work as an advocate in the 60's and 70's, and I was inspired by him when he gave a speech at the University of Vermont in the early 80's, but how can he sleep with himself at night after so thoroughly botching up the thing in 2000?

February 24, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  8. chris24

What an idiot.

Looks like four more years of republican
    war-crimes.

February 24, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  9. Dayahka

Oh, good Lord, here we go again. Though senile in body and brain, 74 year old Nader can't let it go.

February 24, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  10. RO

General election prediction:

McCain 50% / Obama 45% / Nader 5%
    McCain wins because Obama loses independents to Nader

McCain 33% / Nader 30% / Clinton 37%
    Clinton wins because she carries the core Democratic base

February 24, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  11. lily

it's a little too little, it's a little too late!

February 24, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  12. Anonymous, Somewhere, MI

Before anyone screams to the heavens and proclaims the end of the world, it bears mention that 3rd parties in general have been on the downtick since 1992, where they went from getting 19% of the vote, to 10% in 1996, to Nader's 3% in 2000, to less than a percentage point of the vote in 2004. And this, of course, occurred during 4 election cycles where the public was generally dissatisfied with the choice of candidates. The liklihood is that in this election, where there is some real enthusiasm in the Democratic race and no real room for any centrist 3rd party candidate that Nader will have little effect on the race.

February 24, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  13. Sherry in Kentucky

If Barack wins the nomination, I will support Barack. If Hillary wins the nomination, I will support Nadar. I really think if Hillary wins the democratic nomination, it could be the year of the independent candidate.

February 24, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  14. Erik Johnson

Good! I hope he is allowed to participate in the national debates...

February 24, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  15. Johnny D

Nader is a pathetic, self-aggrandizing fool.

February 24, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  16. gene

Now if youObama supporters really want change, here's your chance and maybe he can give you a little "hope" too. If you are so lucky to win the nomination and as your mean,nasty and degrading anti Hillary hating remarks drains off votes in the general election and Nader maybe draining off a few more votes, McCain is going to clean your clock.

February 24, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  17. Jenny

Great. Now the election is thrown again. Thank you Ralph for coming back when we don't want you.

February 24, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  18. OBAMA 08

Any one who votes for this career looser should elect their local dog catcher for president. Beside he is almost a century old. He must have gone through more than a few asylums to gather those signature.

February 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  19. Matthew, Murfreesboro, TN

Here we go again.

February 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  20. JC

Yikes! Here goes another GOP White House. We (dems) never win when Nader runs.
    Can we say "Goodbye" to the big house!

February 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  21. Tony Amburgey

I just want to thank Meet the press for haveing Ralph on.I am a 54 year old man in Ohio.I am a veteran and I wish to say I was not drafted I inlisted I was ready to give my life for this beautiful country and to keep our freedom and freedoms.I regreat that in my younger life I paid no atention to election I guess I played to much and thought I would let some one elce worry about it. Then came Ragan,, Gorege Sr. , his war and I'll leave it at that.
    Then we have Bill. I can't say a hole lot bad about Bill. I don't know how he did it but he did get us out of the red and into the black. People were working and making money.Then us union guy's found out we were lied to when Bill wroungly brought NAFTA about and sold the unions out that stood behind him.I hate to say this but for some reason I feel he has or is going to be into big money over this, why elce would he put himself in a bad light to the people that thought he was great.?????
    Then we get Gorege Jr. I still can't beleave he won, but after seeing defferent show's about that election. I will keep my thoughts to that to myself , chads , Jebby boy, crap,crap and crap.Then his lie's to the peole. What about all the money that was donatted to Katrena and who really knows how much was given,but where is it ,where has it went why if each person could have gotten what was it like a million per house and what did they get ( the people). Where did the gold go that Husan had with him,anyway that was yesterday I'm thinging about tomorrow. I'm thinking about my kids and his kids and what I see ahead of them is nothing ,nothing and nothing,
    I here nothing about any problems that we face in a way to fix them all I here is change,change and change but nothing as to how.
    This is my thought if it means anything.
    John McCain –Gorege's yes man why does'nt some one ask Gorege Sr. why that he singed a bill saying the oil comp. didn't haft to pay tax's in what was it the YEAR 2006 (fish-y) and the repubilicans don't want the Bush man in there eather,but they wont say that will they.Myself I think Gorege Jr. and Chaney should be brought up on charge's for there wrongs to the people of the Uinted States.
    Mike Huckabee - unknown to me but to tell you the truth untill today even though I feel I am a democrat mostly I am voting for the future of the Kids of tomorrow and I feel Mike would do a good job ,or his best.
    Barack Obama - Sound s good say's the words people want to here but say's nothing on how ,you do here the word change all the time but nothing elce.When he gets to Ohio Iam going to try to see him when he's close. again one i've never heard of
    Hillary Clinton - another Bill although she say's no..I feel that sence Bill Lied to the people the union's about NAFTA and stuck it in us and Hillary saying she will TRY TO stop the NAFTA deal is ,,"CRAP"..I feel they are possed to mack a great deal of money off NAFTA and what about the people that are lossing there land because of it just for the NAFTA highway.Not to think about the jobs that will be affected the paid for them jobs thechance of someone comming through to cause us harm. I'm glad the teamsters didn't stand with her.OH Whit water remember..

Now we get Ralph Nader - he is real, he know whats going on and will do something about it for the people and the good of the United State's to bring things back to what they are supost to be, not the way of big buss. and the money mogers.
    I say it like this I hope you reporters for the big News channels will give him a chance THIS TIME. once again if the News will do him right and give him the time he should get and not LIKE BEFORE he will have a chance and a good chance because no one is saying anything so how do you vote for someone that says NOTHING. Don't let it come out again that the news channel didn't treat him right or would not even let him into the debats,using the state police and the news not say anything about it, maybe I shouldn't say anything about the news hiding things from the people. I will say this I like to watch Wolf and Lou big time I think Lou lays it on the line as much as he can. I can't hardly stand to watch fox news .
    I am going to close but before I go thanks for letting voice my thoughts and I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this way, everyone Iknow and talk to say the same thing no one is saying anything but the word change.
    If you are wondering about my thought to Dr. Ron Paul, I think he means very well, very well but I think he would try to change to much at one time and this would cause a problem.
    I feel Ralp Nader is the true honest one for the job,then all the people that think Obama has no exp. and Hillary because of NAFTA and McCain for ahundred years of war have a person they can vote for.
    At lease that is how I feel and if you wish to ask me how I feel in two months feel free.
    I will say this I was one of the people that have lost my job because of tax breaks for buss. to get paid our tax money to move out of this country and cost us all this problem of people out of work and the loss of the middle income .Thanks nickson,bush sr. and lets not forget ragan. We are in so much trouble i have a hard time beleaving it,we are almost owned by China and Japan.Help us let Ralph speak his words . I know he wont win but his words will get the others to speak and tell the people of this BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY how and what they are wanting to do and hold them to it and the only way for people to know is YOU YOU YOU,you are responsably the news channels are respoundsable for letting thenpeople know what our goverment is doing and to keep them in line ,with out you we are lost.
    I will say again its your job to keep the people informed of the truth about whats going on in our white house and it's people and if the United States falls to dispair it could be said that the news channels helped it to happen because of not informing the the people of what is going on.
    Thanks again for your time
    Tony Amburgey
    Ohio
    age- 54

February 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  22. Ted in Chicago

Is there a corvair that can drive this once important and valuable person to a a place of grace?

February 24, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  23. Cdub

RE: Ralph Nader

This election will be much too close as it is. Democrats who vote for Nader must have rocks in their heads.

But, if they want McCain for "for more wars" then, hey, vote for him. Or just vote for McCain and cut out the middleman.

February 24, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  24. VT Dem

Nadar is looking better and better!

February 24, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  25. Holly, Kansas City, MO

Raise your hand if you hate Ralph Nader. Stay home, fool. WE DON'T WANT YOU. Some people can't take a hint.

February 24, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |