February 24th, 2008

Nader enters race

Nader said Sunday he will mount another presidential run.
Nader said Sunday he will mount another presidential run.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Ralph Nader announced Sunday he is entering the presidential race as an Independent.

In an interview with NBC's "Meet the Press," the consumer advocate said great changes in U.S. history have come "through little parties that never won any national election."

"Dissent is the mother of ascent," he said. "And in that context I've decided to run for president."

Nader, who turns 74 this week, complained of the "paralysis of the government," which he said is under the control of corporate executives and lobbyists.

It marks his fourth straight White House bid - fifth if his 1992 write-in campaign is included.

Nader's entry into the race did not come as a surprise to political watchers.

On Sunday, Sen. Barack Obama criticized him. "My sense is that Mr. Nader is somebody who, if you don't listen and adopt all of his policies, thinks you're not substantive," Obama told reporters when asked about Nader's possible candidacy.

Full story

– CNN's Josh Levs

Filed under: Ralph Nader
  1. Scott

ralph, ralph, ralph. the best thing the republican ever had for a
    ace in the hole. are up the sleeve.
    ralph and the democrats make k-street and the republicans look good.
    looks like mccains a shoe in.

February 24, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. Sheri

WHY? What are Nadar's motives for getting into this race? Again, why?

February 24, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  3. amy

What a joke. I think a certain level of responsiblity for results of the 2000 election is on those who voted for Nader and we ended up losing crucial votes for Gore.

Hopefully he will fade into obscurity this time around.

February 24, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  4. Bill W.

Can Nader really continue to try and hide his monumental ego behind his "little man" ideals? Ralph is no longer running for the little man; he's running for Ralph.

February 24, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  5. Abdul Al-Rafai

Shame on you Barack for criticizing one of our great American heros! Important pieces of legislation from the EPA to the OHSA. As Democrats we owe Nader our utmost respect and admiration. His record speaks for himself, Nader dedicated his entire life to further the issues that effect American people against greedy corporate agendas. While Obama has great potential, I don't think he can hold a candle next to Nader's record and accomplishments. I was an Obama supporter until I read this. Now I may just vote for Nader.

PS Nader has as much a right to run for President as anyone...in fact it is his duty as an American citizen if he feels that he is the best qualified for the job.

February 24, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  6. Tigga

I really don't understand what this man thinks he will accomplish by entering the race. He will not win and he might just be a spoiler for the democrats, especially for Obama who normally get most of the independents votes.
    He is a spoiler.

February 24, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  7. HP Boston

Hey the word is Hillary is the VP on the Nader ticket.

Can that be, can she run as a presidential and a VP at the same time?

I HOPE so that Will be CHANGE!

February 24, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  8. Candace

What a surprise!

February 24, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  9. Kay

Go Hillary!!!!!!!!

February 24, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  10. Juan Jimenez

If Democrats lose the election because voters throw away good votes for the sake of a FOUR TIME LOSER like Nader, and we wind up with yet another Republican in the White House because of this, I'm going to personally hunt down Nader and smack him senseless with the first large piece of seafood I can find.

February 24, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  11. Marina

Who is this guy and where did he come from? Whey is he trying to mix it up? Let hope he takes votes from McCain.

February 24, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  12. Bill, Streamwood, IL

Ralph Nader is a man whose time has come ... and gone at least ten years ago.

February 24, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  13. Pete

I think Nader is right. If the democrats cannot win this election, given the state of things and how people are feeling about Bush and his policies, they need to re-group and re-think what they are doing wrong.

The democrats have failed to have a good candidate for a while, that is why the past two elections, Bush won. Sorry, but Kerry hardly made a good candidate, and look at this year: the only good candidate, Edwards, dropped out! Democrats, wake up! Nader's voters would not necessarily vote for you.

February 24, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  14. Tim

No. Go away Nader. Its 2000 all over again.

February 24, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  15. Kevin Zelko

Democracy is great! He will help to liberalize the issues.

Remember he never took votes from any party. Many of the people who vote for Nader are people who wouldnt vote otherwise.

Remember that Gore won that election..but failed to claim it.

Realize how Gore has been influenced by Nader

Nader running is good for Obama.

February 24, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  16. Evan

Oh for goodness' sa...

GO AWAY NADER.

February 24, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  17. Steveda

This is unfortunate. In a general election that is expected to be hotly contested, this will undoubtedly pull votes form the democratic nominee and help the republican candidate – the one least likely to have any policies that nader would want to see pressed. I just don't understand this guy's decision.

February 24, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  18. Krissy

Nader just looks feeble. You time has come and gone, sir.

February 24, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  19. Evan

Really – Ralph Nader is coming off as that little annoying kid who keeps on bugging you for more.

"oh pleeeeeze america vote for me I'll be your best friend foreeeeever!"

Perhaps we can convince him to campaign in the San Francisco Zoo Tiger Enclosure.

At least that would be slightly entertaining.

February 24, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  20. hellooooo....

The difference between Nader and Obama is that Obama wants to be president more than he really wants to change things and Nader wants to change things more than he really wants to be president. Nader's viabilty is without question as far as the green vote is concerned. He offers the authenticity of hope rather than the premised 'audacity of hope'.

February 24, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  21. crystalsuelindell

what the crap? really? he's going to run AGAIN? you'd think he would have moved on to something more realistic. like becoming kind of canada. or starting his own country.

February 24, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  22. deanne

I have one comment: If Obama wins the Democratic nomination, NADER IS MY MAN.

February 24, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  23. Kmp;

While I think Nader has some great ideas and his intentions are in the right place, I feel that this mans ego needs to be checked.

I also feel that instead of jumping into the race now at this point he should have been campaining along side those he says aren't bring the message home. He should have to compete in the primaries and see how well his message is recieved.

I am in no way against a thrid party entering into this race. I actually welcome the fact that it could help bring many issues to light. But in this day and age there just isn't enough support there for any 3rd party to actually win and his running does steal support from the front running canidates.

February 24, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  24. deanne

Let me edit my comment about voting for Nader if Obama wins the nom: If he (Obama) puts Hillary on the ticket with him, then I will vote for him.

February 24, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  25. Greg, San Francisco, CA

I think I speak for most Americans when I say "Shut up already".

February 24, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |