February 24th, 2008

Nader enters race

Nader said Sunday he will mount another presidential run.
Nader said Sunday he will mount another presidential run.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Ralph Nader announced Sunday he is entering the presidential race as an Independent.

In an interview with NBC's "Meet the Press," the consumer advocate said great changes in U.S. history have come "through little parties that never won any national election."

"Dissent is the mother of ascent," he said. "And in that context I've decided to run for president."

Nader, who turns 74 this week, complained of the "paralysis of the government," which he said is under the control of corporate executives and lobbyists.

It marks his fourth straight White House bid - fifth if his 1992 write-in campaign is included.

Nader's entry into the race did not come as a surprise to political watchers.

On Sunday, Sen. Barack Obama criticized him. "My sense is that Mr. Nader is somebody who, if you don't listen and adopt all of his policies, thinks you're not substantive," Obama told reporters when asked about Nader's possible candidacy.

Full story

– CNN's Josh Levs

Filed under: Ralph Nader
  1. David

As an Obama supporter, this does not scare me. Unlike the previous two presidential elections, this time around Democrats have somebody they WANT to vote for, not somebody they will settle for.

February 24, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  2. Brian Erickson

Ralph Nader's website is censoring any negative comments about him or his campaign. This troubles me.

February 24, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  3. Aaron

Shame on Ralph Nader.

While the man may of accomplished some change in his time, his continued selfishness on the presidential landscape has repeatedly handed elections to the Republicans, and I fear that in this, quite possibly the most important election of our life time, he will again be responsible from stealing the election from the Democrats and dooming our country to follow the same path.

This is sickening.

February 24, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  4. Andrea

Honestly Nader if the last seven years weren't bad enough. Please take a hint and get over yourself. It seems you are a bitter gentleman. Grandfathers are normally nice guys, don't be a spoiler.

February 24, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  5. bbr

Vote for Nader, vote for a TRUE CHANGE!!!

February 24, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  6. Jessica

Thank God! I'll be switching my vote from Obama to Nader, a man who truly wants change.

February 24, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  7. Joe

Nader please, get out. We don't more of the 2000s and 2004s.

This man makes wanna puke

February 24, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  8. Hal

Nader is a distraction he put Dubya in the Whitehouse in 2000 and now he needs to just go away. Somebody buy him a subscription to Consumer Reports to keep him busy.

February 24, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  9. remy white

if obama manages to take the nomination? myself and probably most of sen clintons supporters will vote for ralph nader in nov.......im glad nader entered the race,at least voters will have an alternative. but lets not rule sen clinton out just yet...... tues night in ohio hopefully sen clinton will finally address all of obamas tactical, sneaky and false tv ads obama has been spraying all over the country about sen clinton,hopefully when hillary does respond,she wont be attacked by the media,obama always seems to always escape having to explain all of his evil deeds in this campaign.

February 24, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  10. Marty

EWWWW! He is so gross!

February 24, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  11. George from Minneapolis

I wonder how much money the republicans are paying nader to enter the race.

what a quack, you would think he would learn his lesson from 2000 when he prevented gore from winning the election.

its amazing that anyone would vote for this bozo. he is only going to take votes away from obama. he is just wasting everyones time.

i dont want to listen to this fool during the debates between obama and mccain. i was looking forward to obama destroying mccain in the debates and now they are going to give this fool air time. GEEZ

February 24, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  12. SA Hicks

Ralph Nader claims to be for the everyday person. By entering the race, I'm convinced that he is simply an ego hog and a closet Republican by entering the race. I'm sure Al Gore is trembling somewhere!

February 24, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  13. Julie, Binghamton, NY

Nader called Obama substantive and then Obama says Nader says he's not. Lame.

February 24, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  14. Unknown

Ralph Nader, you are too old to be president. Why don't you mind your own business and get sit in a rocking chair and take care of yourself and final years of life. We don't want you or need you!!! STOP THINKING OF YOURSELF AND THINK OF WHAT'S BEST FOR THE COUNTRY! YOU ARE NOT THE ANSWER! WE WANT SOMEBODY NEW YOU ARE NOT IT! YOUR FIVE MINUTES OF FAME IS OVER! GO OBAMA 08!

February 24, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  15. K. Street,Washington

At least hes not in sheeps clothing like you Obama and Hillary.

February 24, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  16. Ray

Thanks for giving us G.W.B. in 2000. Only an idiot who is in love with himself can think he is helping.
    Everything you did do is long gone so you will have nothing to take with to the rocking chair Hope you fall out of that trance you have been in for 8 years

February 24, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  17. piper

Would think the man would feel bad enough for entering a race he knew in 2000 he could not win now 7 years later with the blood of the Iraq war on his hands he wants to try again. Say good-bye to the White House Dems and hello to another 4 years of war. I believe he is being paid by teh republicans to run.

February 24, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  18. John, Racine, WI

Go Ralph!

I support you!

Already you have the Affirmative Action Candidate, Obama attacking you; you KNOW you must be doing something very, very RIGHT!

February 24, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  19. MB

why is he entering? CNN, stop blocking my comments!

February 24, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  20. Rod

I think I speak for the entire planet when I say: Go away Ralph. Just go away.

February 24, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  21. lin

This is a free country. case close. Mr. Nader has some good arguments and should not be discriminated against running

February 24, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  22. Neelix

I admit it. I voted for him once. A protest vote against the fools the Dems and Repubs had put forth. It was a choice that pissed off my friends to the right and left of me. I was "throwing away" my vote or I was "voting for Bush". It was a vote on principle.

Fortunately a vote for Nader is not even a remote consideration this time. Unless Hillary slimes her way into the nomination, that is.

February 24, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  23. Joe

What an egomaniac. Go away, Ralph Nader! I hold you partially responsible for the mess that this country is in. You are not a hero.

February 24, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  24. jp/michigan

I was hoping it would have been Bloomberg, but at least I have some one else besides McCain if Obama is the nominee. Since, the media will not check out Obama's past and present before they hand our future to him. This American has done her homework regarding Obama. 1. Chuck Hagel was in the Senate and was the only person who not only didn't vote for the was but has been consistent in the Senate with his choice. 2. Obama was against dumb wars, but supported Kerry/Edwards who voted for the war. When ask by the New Times what he (Obama) would have voted if in the Senate at the time stated. "I don't know". Does that look like consistency to you?

February 24, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  25. Tristin Wood

I can't belive Ralph Nader is doing it again. What a creep. I don't believe he will do what he did in 2004. This makes me so angry and I hope the independents and others who helped sway the votes in 2004 will at least wake up and realize we have an opportunity with either Clinton or Obama to change our system. If you care about our country do not vote for this guy.

February 24, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |