February 24th, 2008

Potential V.P. picks stay mum

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, rumored to be on John McCain's shortlist for the number 2 spot, said Sunday he likes his current job.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Republican and Democratic conventions are still months away, but speculation on possible vice presidential candidates is running rampant.

The V.P. subject is just too enticing for most reporters, especially as the field continues to dwindle. But when the question is raised, potential running-mates from both parties almost always answer the same way: complete denial of any interest in the position.

Sunday was no different.

Governor Tim Pawlenty, R-Minnesota, spoke about the 2008 race with John King on CNN’s Late Edition. When asked about last week's Washington Post article that had Pawlenty on the short-list for John McCain's running-mate, the governor replied, "I don’t need a day job. I have one. I’m focused on being governor."

On Fox News Sunday, Governor Tim Kaine, D-Virginia, rejected the idea that he’s interested in Barack Obama's number two post. "I do have a very important job at hand, which is governing Virginia. I want to do everything I can to help Barack win Virginia, and I think I can do that as governor."

And Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson, R-Texas, was even more straightforward on ABC’s “This Week.” In response to Steve Forbes' comment that she is the "frontrunner" for McCain’s V.P. pick, Hutchinson said “I think that Sen. McCain has a lot of options, I think he has to look at a lot of different factors. I don’t want to be vice president."

Perhaps the most expected V.P. dismissal came from Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Nebraska, who also appeared on Late Edition. For months, rumors have surfaced of Hagel joining up with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York for a potential independent ticket. To that suggestion, he responded, “Chuck Hagel is out of the mix. I’m going to continue to focus on my job in the Senate, and do what I can to influence the direction of our country over the next year.”

– CNN's Peter Lanier

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Sylvia

I don't care if he picks the stay-puff marshmellow man for his VP...if OBAMA gets the nomination...McCain gets my vote
    Obama and his zombie followers scare the HELL out of me and look like Germany did with Hitler

February 24, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  2. Vig

John Edwards seems to be playing it cool. I find it curious he has not joined in the Obama hysteria and endorsed him. You would think that would have happened by now. Maybe he knows something the rest of us have yet to find out.

February 24, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  3. Raenah

Obama is the EVIL". He has nothing to offer besides empty words of a change that he is not equipt to bring. Every candidate who runs in this election offers a different type of change. Do you really know who you are voting for? Or are you a someone who votes for a certain candidate only on the basis of what others feel and think? 'Think about it. It comes to the old saying that if everyone else jumps off the bridge will you also.

NO for Obama 2008"'

February 24, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  4. Bayou Joe

Bayou Joe for VP. A Southern Democrat turned Republican because of the Left Wing Democrats controlling the Party. Hillary and Obama have set the Democratic Party back at least 50 years with their agenda. Go John keep America Safe.

February 24, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  5. Seamus

Obama-Richardson '08, Change+Experience

February 24, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  6. Iowan for HILLARY

CLINTON/EDWARDS or

CLINTON/RICHARDSON!

February 24, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  7. Juan Grain

Barack & Joe Biden

February 24, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  8. Albert Brake, St. Albert, Alberta, Canada

Hello Again everyone

Well lets get through the primaries first and then lets start talking about the running mates.

I believe that by now Sen. Hillary Clinton–has Gov. Billy in here head as her VP. I would have to say that Sen. Obama is going to go with Hillary Clinton, and As for Sen. Macain, it does not matter who he picks as long as he keeps in mind that the person he picks will more then likely run in the next election, or if he does win the general he has to keep in mind that he is not a young man of the greatest health so he sound go young for VP.

getting back to my point, Non of the above people are going to take my word for it, so why even think or write about who is going to play VP..that is letting them off easy, ask them a harder question.lol.

Have a great day and good luck Sen. Clinton.

Albert brake.

February 24, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  9. HD

In a few weeks, Hillary Clinton will need to consider other political positions and may be available for John McCain. He should reach across the isle and pick Hillary and Bill.

February 24, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  10. Steven

Obama/Edwards/Clinton '08. Any combo. They all win – just some more so than others (campaign politics/tactics aside, of course).

February 24, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  11. Charlotte

The VP is going to be more important then ever before. McCain needs a young qualified black man to be his running mate, then what will all the blacks do? They will have to choose substance over pretty words.

February 24, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  12. Bonnie, Virginia BORN AND RAISED

I am 53 years old and until Tim Kaine ran for Governor of Virginia, I had never openly campaigned for anyone. I proudly had my Kaine for Governor sign in the front yard of a predominantly Republican neighborhood because I saw him as someone DIFFERENT from all the years of same ol' same ol'. I now have that same feeling again and am PROUD to say my GOVERNOR TIM KAINE is helping SENATOR BARRACK OBAMA run for President. The thought of the only 2 people I have felt so much PRIDE for in my adult life, running on the same ticket................OUTSTANDING!!!!!

February 24, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  13. Ed K.

I live in Virginia and Tim Kaine has been a disappointment form the start and I hope he doesn't get on any ticket. If I know Tim Kaine he would jump at the chance because he want last long in Virginia.

February 24, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  14. Charle

I hope the democrats have a top qualified lady somewhere that is ready to join Obama. No, I don't mean HRC. that would be a complete disaster if you'd ask me. Perhaps the governor of Kansas? Forgot her name. she seems to have a working brain (which I cannot say about HRC). Hope he gives the VP position to woman undder the condition that she is up for the job andnot simply because she's a woman.

February 24, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  15. Charlotte

Maybe Obama can pick another insurgent to be his running mate if he is the nominee? That's what he calls himself an insurgent. That is someone who revolts, a rebel. Isn't that what we are fighting in Iraq?

February 24, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  16. Randy Hurst San Francisco, California 94121

I have had a vision that Tucker Carlson will be McCain's running mate.

February 24, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  17. Charlotte

Obama called himself an insurgent in the piece regarding his quiting if he were as far behind as Cinton. Which at one time he was way behind, did he drop out, NO?

February 24, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  18. Russell

I think it is not right that Ralph Nader is in the race due to half the contest are over and he shouldn't be alllowed to enter the race. It also should be a rule for anyone to enter the race before the first caucus or primary is even start. A far as I am concerned it is unfair to the candidates that have fought in the caucuses and the primaries. Nader should earn it like everyone else.

February 24, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  19. look byond

WHY IS SUSAN MALVO CUTTING OFF SENATOR OBAMA'S SPEECH
    FOR HILARY CLINTON'S SPEECH.
    IS CNN PART OF THE HILARY CAMPAIGN ALSO.

WE ARE NOT SEEING EQUAL MEDIA COVERAGE HERE.
    RATHER A BIAS CNN COVERAGE.

February 24, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  20. JOHN

IF OBAMA IS THE DEM'S CHOICE, MCCAIN WILL PICK CONDI RICE AS HIS RUNNING MATE. OBAMA/CLINTON OBAMA/POWELL
    MCCAIN/POWELL CLINTON/CLINTON WHO KNOWS.

February 24, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  21. JOHN

MCCAIN/POWELL CLINTON/CLINTON WHO KNOWS.

February 24, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  22. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Jeb Bush is in McCain's number 1 spot for V.P.

February 24, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  23. eyeingtenure

That's a shame. He'd make a great V.P., or at least less dangerous than Huckabee the religious ideologue.

February 24, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  24. Grif

No more comments from me! I'll just watch as the USA go back 40yrs.

You don't seem to ever learn. You have one person who can bring you out of the recession. But, it's a woman, and that just won't do.

So, 18 month'[s from you'll be straight back to Zero....

How can you keep making these mistake's .

Carry on regardless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 24, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  25. James

I think Joe Lieberman would make a great VP for McCain. My Grandson said, "I wouldn't mind being poor, if everyone else was poor. " So if a McCain/Lieberman ticket would win, it would make my Grandson's wish come true.

February 24, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |