February 25th, 2008
2 months ago

Clinton gets sarcastic, mocks Obama

CNN

Watch Clinton campaign in Rhode Island Sunday and make light of Obama's message (starting at 0:40).

(CNN) – A day after Hillary Clinton angrily called on Barack Obama to stop mailing campaign literature she said misrepresented her positions, the New York senator adopted a more sarcastic tone toward her rival on a campaign swing through Rhode Island Sunday.

Speaking to a crowd at Rhode Island College, Clinton said, "None of the problems we face will be easily solved," and then went on to mock Obama's message of unity.

“Now, I could stand up here and say, ‘Let’s just get everybody together. Let’s get unified,'" Clinton said to laughter of the crowd.

"The skies will open, the light will come down, celestial choirs will be singing and everyone will know we should do the right thing and the world will be perfect,” she said dryly as the crowd erupted.

“Maybe I’ve just lived a little long, but I have no illusions about how hard this is going to be," Clinton continued. "You are not going to wave a magic wand to make special interests disappear."

Clinton spent much of Sunday in Rhode Island, a state that has long supported both Clintons and votes on March 4, along with Texas, Ohio, and Vermont. With polls showing tight races in Ohio and Texas, and an overwhelming lead for Obama in Vermont, Clinton is hoping for a big win there.

“This little state has a big voice on March 4 to help choose the next president,” she added.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Law School Student

wowwww Hillary. I'm not usually one to jump on the bandwagon of Clinton critique unless truly necessary...but this seems a little childish. Mockery though? How in the world is that reflective of a mature candidate? Simply distinguish yourself with your stance on issues Hillary, there is no need to go the childish route. Out of all the things that Hillary has been accused of, I think this is the first time I agree that she has acted uncharacteristically immature. Don't lose your support by doing such things Hillary.

February 25, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  2. Rick

How can someone who calls people names and makes untruths mock someone other than herself, all I hear from the Clintons is let me Dictate to you and Give Me Your Money.....

February 25, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  3. Mimi

Hillary is smart & funny. I love you!
    Go hillary!

February 25, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  4. Felicia

Mocking Obama!!! isn't that a tad bit childish?????

February 25, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  5. Svanbasten, Atlanta

This is the type of mockery we really don't want to see from a President. It's borderline childish especially coming a couple fo days when Hillary said she was honored to be in the race with Barack.

The writing is on the wall and she can read it loud & clear. Do the honorable thing and bow out after getting knocked out on March 4th. Then you could save some face for a VP slot which I think you'd be a very deserving and able candidate.

February 25, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  6. Ilse Leiker

Hillary, you're getting petty...

February 25, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  7. PGB

LOVE IT!
    Go Hillary!

February 25, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  8. Tim

Are you kidding me? Is this how a president should act? One day being loud and obnoxious, yelling at someone and chastising them, the next day being smarmy and sarcastic? Imagine if she did this to the leaders of Iran, Pakistan, Korea, etc...

Is this how the President of the United States should act?

February 25, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  9. Sean, Detroit

Hillary knows you can't just "wave a magic wand to make special interests disappear" because she's in the pockets of special interests.

February 25, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  10. Peggy Brown

And Joe Scarborough thinks this is great... Sounds like she is having a few hormonal issues. Unfortunately, as a female, most men will find this to be an issue w/any female running for the highest office in the land.

February 25, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  11. Jane

Now Hillary Clinton could just nasally say to her voters, "We want action, not words," but attacking an opponent with her grating voice is not going to just magically win the nomination.

Nice try, but she comes across really ugly as usual.

February 25, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  12. jp/michigan

Cry baby Obama! It was fine when he had things to say about Hillary. He is trying the same poor me, picked upon by the Clinton that he did in South Carolina. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander? He treats his "Fairy Tale " campaign ( Pipe Piper) as if he were the second coming. His supporters follow him down a hollow path, filled with cloud-like platitudes. Hope and change are words , excellent word but you need substance and integrity to make it happen. Obama hasn't always made the right choices either.

February 25, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  13. Ray - NJ

Go Hillary!!! Funny How Obama does this all the time but CNN dosen't post about that. She is true. Obama is full of False hope. Im not blinded to it as his cult members are.

February 25, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  14. Vince

Talk about a flip-flopper! In the debate Hillary praises Barack and says what an honor it is to sit next to him. Then the next day she starts the most mean-spirited attacks of the campaign yet.

No wonder she's losing, no consistency, she plays to what ever crowd she's standing in front of on any given day.

I don't expect miracles from Obama, but I do believe that his non-divisive approach to politics gives our nation a far better chance of progress than the Clinton's divide and conquer approach.

February 25, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  15. Terry

Hillary's Positions
    1) Served on the Board of UNION HATING Wal-Mart but she states she is for supporting of unions

2) Voted for the war in Iraq even though most Americans feel this was is unsanctioned by George bush

3) Voted for Kyle-Lieberman to extend the war to Iran, but she states she will bring the soldiers home in 60 days.

4) Will provide universal health insurance which will force you to buy it to boost insurance company's profits.

5) Supported NAFTA, but now we know it has caused the lost of millions of jobs.

6) She states she is a strong woman and a fighter, but cries and complains when she doesn’t win.

7) She says she can stand the republican heat but she cannot stand the Democratic heat

8) She states she is vetted and experienced, but has no clue how to run a presidential campaign.

9) She states she hates bush, but t copies his politics of fear and division

10) She states she will be fine because she is on both sides of the issues, but the question is will we be fine?

Thank you Jordan Fitzpatrick for these great insights to Hillary Clinton

February 25, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  16. priscilla

Her true "VOICE" is really coming out loud and clear and I know for sure I dont want to hear that "VOICE" for 4 years.... Call Obama what you want but I will be supporting him all the way!!!

February 25, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  17. HD

Clinton is correct. You are not going to wave a magic wand and have special interest disappear. And if we vote her into office, we are going to feed the system that is dominated by corporate lobbyists and special interest groups. We need to go beyond what we have done during the past 28 years and elect someone besides a Bush or a Clinton to the White House.

I felt she was doing better when she was going for sympothy points. Maybe with her recent Bipolar nature, we will see her wanting sympathy closer to election day for Texas and Ohio. I predict she will have a TEAR or two in the days preceeding the voting.

February 25, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  18. California Independent

I know I'm going in to moderation for this one.....

The video was the funniest thing. But then I find Sir Hopeless who lives in Castle Changie Changie in the land of Disunity to be very mockalicious.

If Obama gets elected, MY broken soul will heal and the WORLD will sing a song. If Obama gets elected gumdrops are going to fall from the sky and everyone gets a pony. I want my pony. I'm going to name it "Cupcake."

February 25, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  19. democrat_2008

For all those thinking "why does Hillary not give up" ... remember Gore, had he pressed on for the Florida votes ... what a different world we'd be in right now.

February 25, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  20. Roy P

It is very hard to mock the Pied Piper. It will be even harder to mock Chicken Little if she wins. We need long range plans, not imature high school popularity.

February 25, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  21. J. in PA

Hillary's new campaign theme: "Give up. The special interests that fund my campaign will continue to sleep in the Lincoln Bedroom when I'm President. Even if I lose the popular vote, I will do all I can to wheel, deal, and pull the levers of power in the Democratic Party to steal this election, fair and square. There is no hope for you. All of you with college and graduate degrees that are supporting Obama are just plain dumb. Those educations are worthless."

February 25, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  22. Jim

What an ARROGANT thing to say. Of course Obama knows that it will be difficult. This comment of hers really makes me turn off to her politics.

February 25, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  23. GIVE AMERICA A BREAK

Oh my God... you vile and vindictive shrew! America is tired of this kind of nasty politicking. Get off the stage!

Clinton '08: Abandon hope, all ye who enter here!

February 25, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  24. Charle

Excuse me, but is this the same woman who last thursday was saying how honoured she was to share the stage with BO? this is the same person who said "I agree with senator Obama" so many times that it appeared asif she was applying for a VP position in his staff? She probably really thinks that about half of the USA has really gone mad as they obiovously minlessly follow a charlatan.
    Is there anybodyleft in the USA,otherthan Bill perhaps, who takes Mrs Clinton seriously? whoever they are, if yourfalling for this B-movie you really need professional help

February 25, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  25. Justin

What a terrific way to unite the party for the general election. This has moved me toward changing my mind about Hillary receiving my vote should she mount a comeback in this primary campaign. I've no interest in supporting someone who would openly mock my views and question my intelligence. This is a message of "vote for me because I might be jaded and pragmatic enough to be the president."

Between this and her overblown reaction to mailers which basically did the exact same thing her campaign has done in previous months (stretch the truth), I'm getting tired of chameleon routine. But hey, whatever it takes to win right? Who needs integrity?

February 25, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |