February 25th, 2008
5 months ago

Clinton gets sarcastic, mocks Obama

CNN

Watch Clinton campaign in Rhode Island Sunday and make light of Obama's message (starting at 0:40).

(CNN) – A day after Hillary Clinton angrily called on Barack Obama to stop mailing campaign literature she said misrepresented her positions, the New York senator adopted a more sarcastic tone toward her rival on a campaign swing through Rhode Island Sunday.

Speaking to a crowd at Rhode Island College, Clinton said, "None of the problems we face will be easily solved," and then went on to mock Obama's message of unity.

“Now, I could stand up here and say, ‘Let’s just get everybody together. Let’s get unified,'" Clinton said to laughter of the crowd.

"The skies will open, the light will come down, celestial choirs will be singing and everyone will know we should do the right thing and the world will be perfect,” she said dryly as the crowd erupted.

“Maybe I’ve just lived a little long, but I have no illusions about how hard this is going to be," Clinton continued. "You are not going to wave a magic wand to make special interests disappear."

Clinton spent much of Sunday in Rhode Island, a state that has long supported both Clintons and votes on March 4, along with Texas, Ohio, and Vermont. With polls showing tight races in Ohio and Texas, and an overwhelming lead for Obama in Vermont, Clinton is hoping for a big win there.

“This little state has a big voice on March 4 to help choose the next president,” she added.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Jeff

Thanks Hillary – you have just alienated the voters going to Obama right now. If you were counting on them for the general election, you can forget it.

February 25, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  2. Peace

Hillary, you are making people laughing at you and not with you. Will you please do the Party a favour by just leaving.

February 25, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  3. ACFX

To me, all women are beautiful flowers. Sarcasm doesn't work for me coming from a woman.

February 25, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  4. BJE

What does Clinton know about the light?

Obama \ Warren Steed Jeffs '08 is the dream ticket

February 25, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  5. paforhillary

well, that is what obama thinks he can do. he thinks he is untouchable.. well america WAKE UP!!!!!why didn't he wait a few years. get some experience???someone without the blown out ego that obama has would have done that. the younger followers are behind him because they don't remember the good clinton years.

February 25, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  6. Steve

Yeah...and when Hillary waves her magic wand, the special interests just keep growing and growing.

February 25, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  7. BCNU purple state, usa

Yep, she hit the nail on the head citing that if she's in charge there won't be any unity. Of course she doesn't see it happening or believe it's possible since she lacks the ability to escape the US VS. THEM mentality that has pervaded so long in Washington.

Her paradigm doesn't contain doing anything together, simply ME, ME, ME. I want a president capable of thinking outside the box. Her whole campaign has been on the premise that she can fight the Republicans. Last time I checked, Republicans are Americans too!

Without the Republicans, things won't get done, something her vast experience should be telling her. What about the 1964 Civil Rights Act, who stepped up to the plate and made it possible? Repubs.

'Nuff said.

February 25, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  8. James

Has anybody been listening? Obama has been mocking Hillary for some time along with showing his arrogant side. Watch the debates when he has his nose up in the air while Hillary is talking. Kind of a I am better than all of you look.

February 25, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  9. TY

The last marble has finally rolled out of Hillary's head.

February 25, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  10. Vivacious

I think Hilary is envy of Obama's style, charisma and positive campaign. She should take notice and attempt to incorporate his appeal in her compaign. We are tired of the negative appeal Hiliary's campaign has displayed thus far in reference to Obama and would like an immediate change on her behalf. Vote for Obama! He's the better candidate in this race. His thoughts and advocation for positive change in America is what the American people seeks. Go Obama!

February 25, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  11. Tolu, Minneapolis, MN

While I like Obama and his message, I believe Hillary is right to question whether or not he has the stamina against entrenched and recalcitrant Washington bureaucracy.

February 25, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  12. Bernadine Platen

Hillary tries again to resurrect the politics of yesterday – cynicism, sarcasm, division, etc. The statement "Maybe I’ve just lived a little long..." is the truest thing she has said.

Hillary, the world has moved forward. Make room for the next generation.

B Platen
    a Democrat in Germany

February 25, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  13. Manuel TX

I think that I do hear celestial choirs when I see an Obama rally.

Funny stuff.

I absolutely do not like "cult of personality" politics. Maybe if I were 20 years old I would have bought into it...hmm....nope, not even when I was 20.

February 25, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  14. Dustin

Ok....I have been trying to find the excitement to support Hillary if she gets the nomination, but this is getting sad. Obama has made no illusions about uniting the country. He has siad ti will be hard. However, all Hillary has done is divide the republicans and democrats for as long as I can remember being involved in politics. Now she is doing it to her own party. WE ARE ALL DEMOCRATS! Please remember that Mrs. Clinton or you will never be President Clinton II or VP Clinton either. These sarcastic remarks are only proving the people that commended you on your "brilliant acting", during the final moments of the debate, right. Where is that " I care about the country and party" attitude now?I guess we will only get ugliness...

February 25, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  15. John Z.

Obama's belief that effecting change is as simple as just talking about it really is naive. Hillary found out how hard it was to accomplish when the insurance companies ganged up on her in her fight to implement universal health care in 1992. If you want change without the experience to accomplish it, vote for Obama. If you want change with the know-how in order to do it, vote for Hillary.

February 25, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  16. Dennis

Nice Hillary, very grown up. I see Clinton supporters bash Obama over the perceived snubs he gave her. They question if that is how Obama is going to treat foreign dignataries that he doesn't agree with. Fact is, he said he would negotiate with our enemies, quoting JFK. Now, we get Hillary mocking Obama. So, I ask you, Clinton supporters, is that how she is going to handle foreign dignataries and members of the Republican party that she disagrees with? Is she going to mock them to the general public? If she is so angry about "distorting the facts" then she would be wise to remember that Obama has said numerous times that he knows his plans will not be easy to realize, that it will take hard work. He isn't just about giving speeches, no matter how much Clinton wants to try and make you believe it.

February 25, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  17. June

She looks ridiculous, and appears to be mocking the heavens -not just Obama. So un-presidential, and un-Christian.

Can we please stick to the issues, and not the swiftboat? Obama's plans have become more specific (see his blueprint at barackobama.com); she is the one whose rhetoric is now glaring.

February 25, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  18. DP

Oh the sky will open all right and tell her "It is finished" That will be the end of the Clinton era.

February 25, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  19. Glenn

We know from the past her way doesn't work. She needs to stop beating the drum of her so called experience. Its true that many voters don't examine the facts. But enough of us do to know that she has failed as a leader many times. Just stop attacking Obama & start talking sense.

February 25, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  20. George in Chicago

Clearly this is the best campaign strategy Hillary and her advisers could come up with – mock, belittle the message of hope and unity.

Is that truly the best message Hillary is to put forward at this time?

The Clinton Campaign has thrown everything but the kitchen sink at the Obama Campaign's string of 11 primary and caucus victories. Nothing has worked. So Hillary has concluded running an even more disgusting campaign is the solution??

February 25, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  21. AJ, IL

It's official, the woman has lost it...My, my, my how things quickly change in the Clinton camp. On Thursday night, all the political pundits were drawn into Hillary's "great" debate-ending monologue in which is said she was "honored, simply honored" to sharing the stage with Obama. Then by Saturday, Hillary was "yelling" at Obama in a press conference. Then on Sunday, Hillary is seen "mocking" Obama at her rally.

Hillary is the "say-anything and do-anything to win" candidate.

Obama in 08!

February 25, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  22. kim

Unbelievable... she has stooped to a level that is extremely unbecoming of a presidential candidate. Not only is she mocking Obama but all those individuals that voted for him and believe in hope and change. She disgusts me to no end.

February 25, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  23. Unbelievable

Talk about getting desperate.

February 25, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  24. Derrick in Rhode Island

GO HILLARY!

Obama is a fraud who is pushing a similar agenda that Bush had in 2000. We can only wonder what he and his staff have planned if they get in.

February 25, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  25. Heaven Should Be Off Limits

I hope it is not just me. But, I consider myself to be a Christian, and I was offended by Hillary's analogy of Obama's campaign to heaven. Her mockery of heaven with the skies opening up, the light shinning down, celestial choirs, and everything being perfect is just disgusting. She always talks about her faith sustaining her. Now she is even mocking that.

I'm sick of both Clintons. America would be much better off if they both leave politics forever.

February 25, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |