February 25th, 2008

Clinton gets sarcastic, mocks Obama

CNN

Watch Clinton campaign in Rhode Island Sunday and make light of Obama's message (starting at 0:40).

(CNN) – A day after Hillary Clinton angrily called on Barack Obama to stop mailing campaign literature she said misrepresented her positions, the New York senator adopted a more sarcastic tone toward her rival on a campaign swing through Rhode Island Sunday.

Speaking to a crowd at Rhode Island College, Clinton said, "None of the problems we face will be easily solved," and then went on to mock Obama's message of unity.

“Now, I could stand up here and say, ‘Let’s just get everybody together. Let’s get unified,'" Clinton said to laughter of the crowd.

"The skies will open, the light will come down, celestial choirs will be singing and everyone will know we should do the right thing and the world will be perfect,” she said dryly as the crowd erupted.

“Maybe I’ve just lived a little long, but I have no illusions about how hard this is going to be," Clinton continued. "You are not going to wave a magic wand to make special interests disappear."

Clinton spent much of Sunday in Rhode Island, a state that has long supported both Clintons and votes on March 4, along with Texas, Ohio, and Vermont. With polls showing tight races in Ohio and Texas, and an overwhelming lead for Obama in Vermont, Clinton is hoping for a big win there.

“This little state has a big voice on March 4 to help choose the next president,” she added.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Jether J.

Oh my gosh, I can't believe how badly her true colors are showing. She has the nerves to mock Barack Obama, while he has united voters across the country.

Her somtime-ish actions are the exact reason why I'm not voting for her. Just last week she had negative ads in Wisconsin and before Super Tuesday she had negative fliers as well. She also said she was so honored to debate with Barack Obama now she's spitting venom at him...shame on you Hillary!

February 25, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  2. Jonathan

Despite the fact that Obama has a good chance of being the Democratic nominee, Clinton appears to be upping the personal attacks. It's ironic that she acts so immature in a statement where she emphasizes the wisdom of age. Does she care one bit whether she hurts Democratic chances in November?

February 25, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  3. Dem in PA

Wow she loves that yellow blazer!
    I'm officially now voting for Obama on April 22nd. Thanks Hillary for ending my indecision all on your own.

February 25, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  4. Janice

Hillary is VERY IIMMATURE, has temper tantrums all the time, she also is a bully and a sore loser, that's why she is LOSING..

Obama all the way, Hillary your days of being elected and nominated to the highest office in our land is going down the tubes, through no fault of anyone elses but your own!

Obama all the way!

February 25, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  5. Gadren

Senator Clinton, you disgust me. First of all, if you ever bothered to actually listen to Senator Obama's speeches, you'll notice how much he emphasizes how difficult the road ahead will be. But all you care about it lying to grab votes, and not just lying but demeaning the people's desire for real change in America. You deceived America about your support of NAFTA, you deceived America about Obama's message of hope and change, and now you're using out-of-context pictures of Obama in foreign traditional dress to deceive America again.

February 25, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  6. strong

Poor Hillary, no matter what she says or does, she will get criticized. Most of it unfairly. Obama can do no wrong, he is the golden-haired boy of the media. Such a bias against Senator Clinton. Sigh.

Let's see if cnn prints my post here, all the others I wrote had been deleted. Cnn is losing credibilty. The best name in news, they say of themselves. Ha.

Hillary 08 - you can do it doll. You are the best.

February 25, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  7. AZ

I don't think "sarcastic" will endear her to the voters in a way that she wasn't by the previous 23 personalities she's tried.

You know, whenever people called her "Shrillery" or complained about her grating voice, I just dismissed it as latent sexism. But I swear, the way she sounded in that mocking rant really just set my teeth on edge, despite my best efforts.

February 25, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  8. Cyrus Martin, Euless Texas

That was not good. I feel bad for her actually.
    Yeeesh. Hillary please try to take the high road... or at least a higher road. Thanks.

February 25, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  9. Tim

As if Barack needed to convince the American people that Hillary would be "more of the same..."

She just took care of that issue all by herself.

I hope the good people of Texas, Ohio, Rhode Island and Pennsylvania put an end of the Clinton nonsense and her candidacy.

February 25, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  10. Expat American

If Clinton gets the nomination there is no way I will ever vote for such an unstable person to lead the country. She speaks of bringing solutions, but this is only pouring oil on the fire. Clinton and McCain both represent the status quo, which is why the large group of Washington elite, media and multinationals are afraid... their party needs to end.

Obama!

February 25, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  11. Josh

I never thought I'd say this, but Clinton Is Right! A quiver just went up my spine as I typed this... but it's true.

February 25, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  12. jeanette bomberg

She is acting like a spoiled brat. This kind of behavior is not what
    a future President should be protraying. Shame on her,
    I would never vote for her after this and I am a woman who serves
    in public service.

February 25, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  13. Stacy Clarks, Texas

does anyone else think its funny that all of a sudden, the "little" states count....when Obama was winning them, it did not matter.

No matter what, I wish BOTH candidates the best, and I wish the democratic party the best

with that said, GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!

February 25, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  14. Burt

It seems like this man can do no wrong and she can do no right. Soata reminds me of jonestown, they will follow him anywhere

February 25, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  15. west palm beach, Hawk

In stead of mocking Obama. Maybe she should plagiarize some of his speeches and ideas. Only then will she fare better on election day. How can you mock someone who beats you by an average of 33% points on election day. Hillary the jokes is on you babe.

February 25, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  16. Alex - Austin

This is just as much of an attack on the people supporting Obama as much as one on Obama himself.

What a way to shoot yourself in the foot and divide the democrats than by calling half of them idealistic fools. It's not like Obama hasn't said time and time again in his speeches how much work it'll take.

She's going negative in order to stop his momentum, and we've seen it not work before, and it looks like it'll happen again.

Will this be her Howard Dean moment?

February 25, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  17. caywen

This is obviously all Obama's fault. He's making Hillary crazy with his message of unity and change, and *forcing* her to resort to sarcasm and mockery. You can't hold Hillary accountable for the things that she does on the campaign trail. That would be un-American.

Her tirade is over now and we should all forget about it and move on! Nothing to see here.

February 25, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  18. Lance McKay

HIllary is correct. It's too bad the rest of you have been completed fooled by a motivational speaker. If Obama gets into office it will be a disaster, and the Republicans will regain control for another decade. This Hillary supporter will NEVER cast a vote for Obama in November.

February 25, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  19. Donna

Hillary is for specifics, not empty slogans

February 25, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  20. Al C.

I'm hoping someone asks the question at the next debate about Hillary using lines from her husbands speech, John Edwards speech and of all places from a Saturday Night Live sketch!! If she's going call Obama out on using lines from speeches, at least have enough sense to not do it yourself!!!

February 25, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  21. John - CA

This is childish. How can she unite the party after having basically called all of Obama's supporters delusional? Outbursts like this can only hurt her more. She's like a child....

February 25, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  22. JustinA

Hillary seems to suffer from multiple personality disorder. One day she pretends to be empathic and honored. The next day, she is nasty lier. In the process, she managed to insult the majority of the voters. She is continously undermining any chance the democrates have to reclaim the white house.

February 25, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  23. Denise

So Obama can be sarcastic but Hillary can't? Grow up people...

February 25, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  24. Allison LeGhee

This is an unfortunate turn of events. Sen. Clinton... I blocked walked for you, made calls on your behalf, and stumped privately for you in my inner circle. This is a disgrace! Now I suppose I am seeing the "light" on what kind of leader you would truly be. I am highly disappointed and you no longer have my vote.

February 25, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  25. Veronica

If Hillary had been president in 1960:

"I hear a lot of nonsense, crazy talk about mounting a manned mission to the moon. Let's get real. The moon is too far away. The technological challenges are insurmountable. The costs are too high. There is simply no way we can seriously consider manned space flight to the moon."

February 25, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |