February 25th, 2008

McCain seeks to retract 'I lose' statement

McCain sought to clarify he earlier remarks Monday.
McCain sought to clarify he earlier remarks Monday.

(CNN) – John McCain backtracked Monday from his earlier comment that he could lose the presidential race over the Iraq war.

On Monday morning, McCain had told reporters that if he can't convince the American people the United States is succeeding, "then I lose. I lose," according to the Associated Press.

"We quickly retracted that," McCain later said of the comment. "I was not allowed to retract it, obviously. I don't mean that I'll quote ‘lose.' I mean that it's an important issue in the judgment of the American voters.

"I hope that that clarifies, it's not often that I retract a comment. I retracted the finality of that statement. I think the issue of the war in Iraq we all know is important to the American people and will be a major factor in their determining who they are going to support in the election in November," he said.

McCain also told CNN's Dana Bash that "I think that clearly my fortunes have a lot to do with what's happening in Iraq. And I'm proud of that because Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama said we will not succeed militarily and we have."

– CNN's Carol Cratty Contributed to this report

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Mike

Is any major news provider looking into whether "the (marketing)surge" is really working as defined by all of the major benchmarks that were defined prior to "the (marketing) surge"? If "the surge" is "working", the logical follow-up question is what about "the surge" is "working?".

I think a skeptical (as she/he should be) and resourceful investigative reporter might want to look at the bank accounts and personal wealth of some key former insurgents/combatants. Wouldn't surprise me if the CIA wasn't doing more than a little bribery to bring about the desired behavior modifications prior to our November election.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is worth a look. I haven't heard anyone yet make a convincing case on what about "the surge" is "working".

February 25, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  2. You Yo

Bravo McCain! Flip Flopping at its best.

Retract your statement? Why? Do you not mean what you say?
    How can we stand by and believe anything else you have said?

February 25, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  3. Another Husein 08

February 25, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  4. curtis in WI

I can't vote for McCain because he stands for too many things I can't get behind – but I will give him props for living in the real world more than many politicians. If only he hadn't sold his soul to the neocons andf the right wing extremists during these past four years, I might be able to overlook some of our differences enough to actually consider voting for him.

February 25, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  5. TheLeftNut

Brian wrote "If you dems truly honored our troops you wouldnt pull out before the job was done..."

"MISSION ACCOMPLISHED"

Or did I misread the sign?

February 25, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  6. Rosa

Hey John, you ought to talk to Larry Craig about how to retract statements, and even actions.. Find out how he is doing on his retraction.

February 25, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  7. Jerry

I have gladly and honorable served our great country for 15 years and 23 days in the U.S. Navy. McCain needs to either find his memory and or get a grip! I think his true fear simply slipped out of his mouth. Rogan, there is no need for you to attempt to "explain it all away".

February 25, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  8. Brian

If you think either of the socialist candidates win the whitehouse,troops will be brought home immediately .If you do you are as dumb as you look.

February 25, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |