February 25th, 2008

Poll: It's all tied up for Dems in Texas

Obama and Clinton are deadlocked in Texas, a new poll shows.
Obama and Clinton are deadlocked in Texas, a new poll shows.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are in a statistical dead heat in Texas, according to a poll released eight days before the state's crucial presidential primary.

In the CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey released Monday, 50 percent of likely Democratic primary voters said Obama is their choice for the party's nominee, while 46 percent backed Clinton.

But taking into account the poll's sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points for Democratic respondents, the race is a virtual tie.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Texas
  1. AR

Hillary mocks Obama's eloquence (reminded me of school days), sends a photo of him in a Muslim costume to the media (can anybody think of more than one motivation?), and throws a mock tirade about pamphlets that have been out for weeks, and in essence since Iowa. All bluster, pretense and false bravado. Never mind Texas or Ohio, I don’t understand why anyone is still voting for her.

February 25, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  2. Julie

Does CNN poll Spanish speaking people?

February 25, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  3. Lorna

What is with the media? If you are going to put down one person you should also give fair time to the other. Tell us what OBAMA is about, not what Hillary is not. This is getting old CNN

February 25, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  4. Hillary, do you care? America's Family are dying

Sons, Daughter's, Father's and Mother's share the lost of you decision not just the War in IRAQ but Also, your Husband NAFTA, and the Back door deals that he tried to make with Dubai Port World, Yes, I can see the Clinton really has look out for the American People. Just how much money did the Dubai Port world give or contribute to the Clinton's I have it at more than $ 1.5 Million Dollars have you sold us out?

February 25, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  5. Glenn Doty, Columbia, SC

So let's see: of those who WATCHED the debate, Obama is winning overwhelmingly; However, of those who merely followed the news about the debate, it's a tie... And those that didn't watch the debate, Clinton is winning...

Shouldn't that indicate that Obama very clearly won the debate, but the news media has been reporting it as a draw (which it wasn't), and the less people pay attention the more likely they are to simply vote for Clinton – who has the better name recognition?

The poll results are a clear rebuttal to the Clinton campaign nonsense of "media bias"... The media is not reporting THIS DEBATE in a manner that is consistant with the opinions of those that watched it.

February 25, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  6. citizen

AR,

Because she is for real and Obama...Omama...Osama is a fake.

February 25, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  7. Kirby Alexander Lafayette LA

Dont believe everything the polls indicate. Obama supporters are keeping really silent untill they get into the voting booth. Watch the numbers March 4.

February 25, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  8. Kimberly in Texas

I hope Hillary goes down in flames…that SHE loses ALL 4 states on March 4th by double digits!!!

February 25, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  9. Ron, NJ

All tied up, but really the story is how close things are. Hillary needs to win Texas and Ohio by margins like Obama beat Hillary in Wisconsin.
    According to polls that is just not going to happen even if she won both.

February 25, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  10. nick

a virtual tie would be within the margin of error. it looks like mr. obama has a small lead.

February 25, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  11. anonymous

Why Is cnn mum about the nearly two hour speech by Farakhan praising Obama this past Sunday February 24, 2008. He guarded himself from coming right out and giving Obama his endorsement. This happened before a group of close to 20,000.

Cnn has become such a blatantly biased media medium. Why is it that no one has yet to write about this story. I am sure that the American public would like to voice their views and sentiments regarding this topic.

February 25, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  12. Teresa

Hey if the shoe fits wear it.. Hillary, HILLARY Will win

February 25, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  13. Columbus Ohio

I am a confused dem. I really think Hillary is the one who should run our country going forward, based on the choices we have. Where is Obama gaining all this "hype." His speaches although warm and charming, they do not have substance. I do not hear solutions, but more about issues that need solutions. Hillary on the other hand consistently details a plan of what she would do. I am afraid that if Hillary is not the Dem nomination then I will choose to go with McCain, a somewhat liberal option within the republican party. I know I would not vote for Obama. Anyone has to be better than Bush.

Columbus, OH

February 25, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  14. Dennis

This shouldn't be surprising. The closer the primary or caucus gets, the better Obama does in these polls. I am surprised about the results of those that watched the debate. I expected it to be split about evenly.

February 25, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  15. Sonya

I am not going to vote for Obama. I do not think he is competent. He wants to sit down with dictators without precondition; his health care plan is more expensive per person and does not cover everyone; he supports liquid coal technology. I will vote Clinton in the primary in North Carolina. But if she loses, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE will I vote for Obama.

February 25, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  16. Vote2008

Hillary Clinton has a choice: she can lose the nomination gracefully or she can lose it ignominiously. She saw that being graceful did not deliver the knock-out she wanted during the last debate. Now she is going to try attack-dog, froth at the mouth, pull out all the stops mode. Will the voters of Texas and Ohio respond well to this? I think they're good,hard-working decent people and will vote for the better candidate.

February 25, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  17. independent voter

Hillary is everything that is bad about American politics. Time to go. Please, for the sake of the country, if not for your own dignity, Hillary.

February 25, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  18. bibi henna

ombama Hussion and cnn are traders

February 25, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  19. Anselm

Experience at this current dispensation is not a pivotal attribute which has showed ( i.e. Mc Cain ) whilst don` t really matter,what`s significant, is what attribute(s) is bestowed in an individual with a can-do-spirit which can create a guaranted change and thus take this country from its doldrums to a more healthy and unitied country and the only Canditate i see having this qualities is Obama.

February 25, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  20. Heather, New Zealand

Its not a Muslim costume, its Somali. Some of you Americans should get out more – travel, see the world, experience other cultures. Are you that insecure that everything and everyone is a threat? Sometimes I do despair.

February 25, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  21. Laurence "Keeping it real"

She's tried everything else so childish rants should be of no surprise. Hillary Clinton is engaging in shamless politics and her desperation is clearly showing. Her choice is perfectly clear. Leave with grace, or leave in disgrace. What's left to see is which will she choose. Odds have it in favor of the latter.

February 25, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  22. sm

My honest opinion is that Hillary is malleable and will do anything to get elected, but the state of her campaign has become juvenile and airing a sense of whiny entitlement. I hope that the statistics on March 4 bear a larger tip towards Obama.

February 25, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  23. Elizabeth

My husband and I just voted early in Dallas for Barack Obama and will caucus on March 4th.

We have supported him from the beginning. My husband is an Iraq war vet and I am a social services caseworker. We need his leadership. We need a wise candidate and not one that changes with the wind.

February 25, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  24. Mischelle from Illinois

So why the heck is Cafferty's question today asking if viewers feel Hillary shoud drop out of the race? Loaded...(full of something)

If you believe in real democracy, you would support the completion of the primary cycle – let the rest of the states have a say. Do you wonder why FL and MI might have wanted to push up their primaries instead of waiting to see what other states decide for them... I don't blame them a bit and I think the DNC will eventually be forced to count those votes wether CNN likes it or not. Disenfrancisement is un-democratic and un-American!

February 25, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  25. Jackie

Barack Obama needs to show ME why he is the best choice for President. To this day he has yet to show me anything, his track record is bleak and it appears that he can't commit on any issues. Whats the deal Obama? Enough with the retoric! Start talking about the issues..What are you going to do about our economy? How about Michigan? Any why has nobody spoken about our most precious natural resource..WATER, wake up we are a country headed for turmoil and you have yet to tell me what you are going to do about it. TODAY, my vote is for Hillary!

February 25, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |