February 25th, 2008

Poll: It's all tied up for Dems in Texas

Obama and Clinton are deadlocked in Texas, a new poll shows.
Obama and Clinton are deadlocked in Texas, a new poll shows.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are in a statistical dead heat in Texas, according to a poll released eight days before the state's crucial presidential primary.

In the CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey released Monday, 50 percent of likely Democratic primary voters said Obama is their choice for the party's nominee, while 46 percent backed Clinton.

But taking into account the poll's sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points for Democratic respondents, the race is a virtual tie.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Texas
  1. SAM

Go Texas, pls fall in line Ohio, Vermont and Rhode Island... make your citizens pround and join the winners... YES WE CAN!

February 25, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  2. jp

CNN plus Obama, winning team, once Obama is the Pres. Cnn will no longer support him

February 25, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. b* is the new black

If Hillary wins the nomination, I will vote for her. If Obama wins I will vote McCain.

I have seen all three candidates in person, and I never thought I would be impressed with McCain. But I was. I have also been favorably impressed by HRC...the only exception was Obama, he was a let down.

February 25, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  4. mamady sylla (london)

After JFK, the world is witnessing the most phenomenal leader ever seen. Hillary can' t do ANYTHING about that. She needs a reality check and admit it.

February 25, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  5. Bhawandeep Singh

Is that all you got Hillary? Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional. Looks like you have everything is against you but bad options.

February 25, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  6. disgruntled in CA

ummmm....they forget to mention that the other polls that show a statistical tie actually show Clinton ahead. Of course though the only one that matters to them is the one that shows Obama ahead.

February 25, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  7. Kevin

Did you know Obama's middle name is Hossain which is a Moslim name CNN. Not only that, it roots from a Shii branch of Islam that Iran and Iraq practice. The republican machine will be all over this issue if Obama becomes the candidate. Watch out who you vote for. We don't know enough about Obama and his weaknesses.

February 25, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  8. Texas Voter

Obama's message of change is genuine in my eyes. Everytime he talks about change, he specifically talks about what he wants to change: Healthcare, immigration, you name it he has a stand on it. so i dont understand why everyone is confused about what he wants to change? he wants to change AMERICA. I support him through and through. Change is not taking steps back ( a.k.a. voting Clinton)

February 25, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  9. Reality check

Go Hillary! It's about time people are begining to see Obama, the Candy Man, for what he is. CNN needs to be fair and report some of the truth about Obama and lay off Hillary. And......... Where on earth do you do these polls? Everybody I know will vote Republican before they will vote for Obama. You must be conducting your polls where there is a total population of 10.

February 25, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  10. Audrey

I'm for Obama...Keep going Obama!!!!!!

February 25, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  11. Ed in AZ

Hillary is doing all the work for Obama. No wonder she can kiss Texas good-bye. Everytime Hillary launches another sleazy Clinton trick, I make another campaign contribution to Obama. Looks like I'm not alone. Good riddance to the Clintons and their self-congratulatory, arrogant attitudes.

February 25, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  12. OurTimeIsNow!

Columbus Ohio,

You make absolutely no sense. You won't vote for Obama because he beat Hillary. However, you will vote for John McCain who has emphatically stated, that he will keep the tax cuts for the rich and continue the war with no end in sit. However...you then say anyone is better than Bush. Have you listened to McCain? He is the very same as Bush. PLEASE use common sense!

Let's stay united as a Democratic party because we do not need another Republican president. We do not!

Obama 08'

February 25, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  13. Dennis

I'm not particularly worried about Clinton supporters. They continue with their mantra that Barrack is all talk and no substance to his proposals. In order to say that, they have to blatantly ignore him when he talks about his plans. Hillary used to tell you that they wouldn't work. Now she is saying that all he is is a collection of speeches. That just shows you that she knows it isn't true. Her prior attack didn't work, so she has changed it. Now it isn't working either.

So many Clinton supporters will tell you that Republicans are flooding Democratic primaries to give Obama a win. They warn us of some vast conspiracy. Then what is the next thing the Clinton supporters say? "I won't vote for Obama if he wins the Democrat nomination. I'll vote for McCain in November." Yeah. Obama's supporters are the ones we need to worry about in the Democrat party.

February 25, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  14. Brisida Key

If Hillary doesn't win I won't vote for Obama, he doesn't have the skills to lead a nation. We should not vote for a president because Muslim countries want us to. TEXAS make history. VOTE FOR HILLARY.

VIVA HILLARY

February 25, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  15. Obamamos

As a 35 year-old, proud Texas woman who supports Obama, let me tell you guys, we have been busting our behinds for him down here, working person by person, call by call. Watching these polls over the last couple of weeks has been very rewarding.

I don't dislike Hillary at all, and as many people have pointed out, these two are NOT far apart on their policies. I would vote for her happily if she won...and I'm an independent, not a Democrat. But, through no fault of her own, she's ended up running for president at a horrible time, carrying a polarized electorate.

No way he'll win Texas in the general election, but hey, give us our small moment of victory. :)

February 25, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  16. Clay from alabama

Dave,

CNN never said that Clinton was circulating the photo. They reported that Obama's campaign and/or that the Drudge Report said that she was circulating it....make sure you know the story before you start shouting slander.

February 25, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  17. Amy A. North Carolina

I cannot believe the main stream media (including CNN) is giving Obama a free ride!
    Nobody ever talk about what Michelle Obama said that she's never be so proud of being an American in her adult life until now.
    If Bill Clinton were to come out and say something like that, it would be an outrage across the wire days and nights!
    This is just sickening to see that the press already picked a side for our norminee!

February 25, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  18. Charlotte

I hope Hillary wins. I will never unite behind Obama, I'll write in Hillary even if it is a vote that dosen't count. Obama is a loud mouth crybaby. I will have a bumper sticker that says, don't blame me I voted for her.

February 25, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  19. I smell a Rat

There is something very disconcerting about the process of caucusing and registered republicans allowed to vote dem in primaries. This election is fixed.

February 25, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  20. A Democrat

Hillary needs to give it up. She has not won in 11 consecutive states. She is not going to win Texas, or Ohio. We want a President with no baggage.

February 25, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  21. john njau

Is clinton mentary stable ? she is acting strange. my six year old daughter thinks so.

February 25, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  22. Mary

I have to comment. I am for Hilliary. Hilliary is running not the Clintons. she is a find human being, and loves america. I am proud to be a part of her campaign. Win or lose, she a great lady and represents a great cause. If we could get some of the nnews media to be fair towards her it would be wonderful. She has my vote for a bigger, brighter and forward future. check Obama out hee's not waht he appears, and all of us will see that, if whens the Presidency. Sadly to say.

February 25, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  23. Ida

Mr. McCain U can’t convince me the war in Iraq a success, what it started with a lie will not succeed.

February 25, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  24. Clintoite

Clinton..You are the one for us...I live in South Texas–The Valley 90% Latin americans..WE love her because of her loyalty to us...YOu have 85.5% of the vote here...Keep fighting dirty poltics..Obama is done..

February 25, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  25. Don't Mess with Texas!

Who are you people? I've been a Democrat all my life. I'm in my 50's. The first president I voted for was McGovern in 1971 and I've been voting ever since! I swear I've never seen this type of hate for a candidate. Or a cult like atmosphere! What a bad name you give youth. But that goes to show how only life experience can mature you. Of course, some people never grow up.

One hates his ex-wife and mother-in-law so much that he hates Hillary too. And you support a candidate that "wants to unite the country." Where's all the "he inspires me, he wants change, etc. etc. Gee, you people are still keeping up with the past–hate and discrimination.

February 25, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |