February 25th, 2008

Poll: It's all tied up for Dems in Texas

Obama and Clinton are deadlocked in Texas, a new poll shows.
Obama and Clinton are deadlocked in Texas, a new poll shows.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are in a statistical dead heat in Texas, according to a poll released eight days before the state's crucial presidential primary.

In the CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey released Monday, 50 percent of likely Democratic primary voters said Obama is their choice for the party's nominee, while 46 percent backed Clinton.

But taking into account the poll's sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points for Democratic respondents, the race is a virtual tie.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Texas
  1. Cris in Texas

polls they never asked me here in Texas.
    My and my familys, friends,neighbors are voting and have voted for HILLARY!!!!
    Polls??Please....

February 25, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  2. Bryce K. Dixon

Lies, lies, lies, the mentioned pictures have been on Google for months now... How did Hillary have anything to do with that?

Yeah beat up on the Clintons, no lie is to big and or small to accuse her of.... wow

Just remember the same tricks Obama is using came from the Republicans, that should tell you something about the kind of person he is. The Obama Cultist are like all other cults so beware of what is to come.......

February 25, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  3. Felly

Hillary is a loser. She is eating up her own words: "tell him to meet me in Texas." Hillary please meet us in Texas.

February 25, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  4. jow

Hillary is doomed.....absolutely doomed. I was really excited about Hillary but the way she has ran this campaign has been a disaster. I am now pulling for Obama and think of Hillary as a total failure.

February 25, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  5. Bob

Hillary clearly doesn't have what it takes.

February 25, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  6. Ida

Poor Clinton lost her voice, because she doesn't speak from the heart for example Senator Obama, he speaks from the heart, he reached millions of people we believe in him, he is the man for the present and future of our children. Clinton only wants to make history on the account of the future of our kids, very selfish.

February 25, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  7. Nowhere Man

To -> krk, MN February 25th, 2008 4:53 pm ET

Texas is a RED state and Dems are not going to win in Texas. So win in this state does not mean anything…

Krk : Uh, it means he gets delegates. That's what all this nonsense is all about ....

Obama '08!

February 25, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  8. Jason

Clinton/Obama or Obama/ Clinton, I Don't think it really matters who wins texas i think that they will both end up running on the same ticket if hillary cant be the president i think she will still want to be vice president. The same with obama because i think they both know that this is a history making presidential race no matter who wins.

February 25, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  9. Hillary2008

I am a Democrat. I am not proud of that fact right now. The way these two fight. It reminds me of High School.
    They BOTH have done really nasty things. I have supported Hillary from the start, but I will vote for McCain or Nader over Obama. I don't think Obama is an evil person or a bad guy. His healthcare plan killed it for me. I don't believe in the hype.
    Maybe in 8 years I could support him, but for now I am sticking with Hillary.

February 25, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  10. Ray - NJ

Obama will loose if he is the nomination. LOOSE!!! I will vote for McCain before I vote for Nobama!!!

February 25, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  11. Clintoite

Texas will rise for you HIllary...Especially the Latinos that the republicans try to discount through gerrymandering...WE WANT HILLARY...90% of us do around the state...Forget OBAMA

February 25, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  12. Stevie Z

Hey Hillary: How is the slime machine workin' for you now?

Hillary Clinton is a disgrace to the party. I hope Obama wins and she's forced out of her Senate seat at the first possible instant. Bill Clinton was a huge success as a president, but I can't say anything good about his shrew of a wife.

Go ahead Hillary keep pulling out dirty tricks until Obama buries you in all of the remaining states!

February 25, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  13. Tyler in Raleigh

Hillary sounds more and more not like a President with "35 years of experience" but a whining child. She changes her opinion and mood every few hours, either she has a mental disorder, a bad campaign strategy or every stupid joke about women not being able to hold office are true.

She is damaging not only the Democratic Party but the reputation of women in politics and business. Her constant mood swings from nice, to crying, to "shame on you", to "honored", to sending out racist photos, to firing the people putting out emails, to innocent.... its tired. I thought you found your voice in NH??

February 25, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  14. JM

Say Obama wins the nomination and goes on to win the presidency. Who will he put first - his family, or his nation? Think about it. Is this any way to bring up your children? They will forever be followed and scrutinized. Think of the things they will learn about their father, true or not. What if he is ever faced with a choice where he would have to choose between family and nation? He can't make up his mind now, what will he do as president? I SO don't want to know.

HILLARY '08!! Dedicated, smart, strong.

February 25, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  15. Darth Vadik, CA

Please prove me wrong Texas, and I will take back every single bad thing I have said about Texas, and forgive you for beating my USC team in the Rose Bowl.

Go Obama.

February 25, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  16. Darth Vadik, CA

citizen,

Have you realized that all you have on Obama is his "funny" name.
    You have a very lame comment.

February 25, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  17. jad

Obama is a atrue leader for the next generation. Interesting that those who are "educated" on the issues and actually watched the debate strongly favor Obama. What does it say that Hillary's supporters are LESS informed on the issues? Obama is the right choice!

February 25, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  18. Franky

It has begun...................Mortal Kombat!!!!!! Na'h, na'h I'm just playing. It'll be a good matchup on Tuesday.......LOL!!!

February 25, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  19. Florida voter

Remember the polls can be misleading. Remember California? Vote HILLARY 08!

February 25, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  20. Alice

OBAMA released the photo by himself to play the victim and wanted to expain his background in a victim way. At the same time, he also attacks Hillary again!

Hillary, you got my vote!

February 25, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  21. MR. B.

America Is Ready
    Obama 08

February 25, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  22. T

This politics is sickening. What happened to debate the issues? Clinton came out swing because he disagreed with politics in a flyer? The flyer is true. She does have a mandate the purchase of healthcare if it is determined that you can afford. Well who gets to say that I can afford it? Why should the government be able to determine what I do with my money? She did support NAFTA. So now she is upset that he Obama is pointing out the negative effects that NAFTA has had on the job market, esp in OHIO. She wants show where they disagree on the issues but when he does she scolds him??

He is doing just what she said she wanted done, and she can't take the heat.

February 25, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  23. Neb, Fairfax, VA

The point is not lost on anyone that experience counts; and that getting things done is not as easy as Obama makes it out to be. The plain fact is however, that we have the first African American 'electable' candidate and that should count for a lot. In addition to that, his ideas on foreign policy make sense, and his approach to politics is refreshing.

Hilary is truly a polarizing figure and she like McCain, is running because she believes she is entitled to be President. She may know a lot of secret hand shakes to get things done, but she will not make Government transparent.

In the end, we are the ones who will make our lives better. If the President sets a good tone, like Obama 'hopefully' will and Hilary Clinton will not (pitting one side against the other for political points), and makes the Government transparent and responsive to me, that's all I need.

February 25, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  24. LaLa in KCMO

Obama does well in these types of situations ... :)

Obama '08!

February 25, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  25. MICHAEL BURNETT L.I.N.Y.

I AM SO TIRED OF THIS , ONE MINUTE HILLARY IS THIS WAY , THE NEXT SHE IS THAT WAY, THE NEXT SHE IS CONFUSED!!!!! I THINK THAT HILLARY IS BI-POLAR, AND IF SHE IS NOT THEN THE ONLY THING THAT I CAN UP WITH FOR THE WAY SHE GOES ABOUT HER SELF IS THAT SHE IS JUST A PUPPET ON A STRING, A STRING THAT EVEN HER OWN CAMP CANT DECIDE WHICH WAY TO PULL THEM!!! HILLARY CAN I GET A TRY???

February 25, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |