February 25th, 2008

Poll: It's all tied up for Dems in Texas

Obama and Clinton are deadlocked in Texas, a new poll shows.
Obama and Clinton are deadlocked in Texas, a new poll shows.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are in a statistical dead heat in Texas, according to a poll released eight days before the state's crucial presidential primary.

In the CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey released Monday, 50 percent of likely Democratic primary voters said Obama is their choice for the party's nominee, while 46 percent backed Clinton.

But taking into account the poll's sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points for Democratic respondents, the race is a virtual tie.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Texas
  1. Gavin

THE "SO-CALLED" TIE (that the In-The-Tank-Media) WANTS TO GIVE OBAMA

will be broken....

WHEN SENATOR CLINTON WINS

La Nuestra, Hillary 2008 – VIVA TEXAS !

February 25, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  2. D S

Hillary 08!!!! If Obama wins the nomination, John McCain will rip him apart. To all the states from March 4th and onward , you need to wise up and help Hillary win out the remaining elections. She is the only one who can take on McCain and win the Whitehouse in November. Stop listening to feel good speeches and wise up to action with experience because Hillary Clinton is the one. Go HILLARY 08!!!!

February 25, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  3. JohnB

Hillary has little record of public service. She was a corporate lawyer. Then she was First Lady for some years. Bill threw her the health care issue which was a total failure. For Hillary to speak of 35 years of service is a fabrication. She has less than Obama with only a few years in the senate where she showed no leadership and enabled Bush in his disastrous foreign policy debacle. Her mismanagement of her campaign is another example of her incompetence.
    The curtain is going down on you Hillary.
    Vote for Obama!

February 25, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  4. Chris Ot

Jay February 25th, 2008 4:52 pm ET

Many posters state that if their candidate does not win, they will abandon the party and vote for the other team. When I see arguments like this I laugh, that is like taking your basketball home because you didn't win. The disturbing part of all this is that when we establish a permanent Military presence in Iraq, and Iran, under McCain, and many American's lose their homes and jobs. Many of these same posters will rail against John McCain and how could America not see what was going to happen. But they will need to look no further than the mirror because their fanaticism for one candidate caused them to take their eyes off the prize.

Just want to let you know that I DO appreciate your comment. I voted for Sen.Obama in our state & hope that he will win a nomination. However, if Sen.Clinton is a nominee, I wouldn't hesitate to vote for her. Too many issues are at stake to play this childish game of "I'm voting for McCain if my candidate doesn't win" BS from so called "True Dem".

February 25, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  5. Terry For Texas

Our family received a call from some polling agency. They asked several questions which of course the main one including who would I vote for as president? I caught myself as I was just about to say Obama, change my response to Hillary Clinton. My family which consists of 4 voters this year are all voting Obama, I am sure there is a lot who are silent Obama supporters. Personally I can't stand Hillary, I don't understand why she is self-destructing? I thought she was doing fine just by sticking to what her plans are for the American people. Word of caution to Obama, be prepared for the debate it my gut tells me it is going to be ugly

February 25, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  6. Sherry

You all should look up the article titled
    Bamboozling the American electorate again

February 25, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  7. angela

You rock HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!
    Keep the faith. Florida is behind you all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 25, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  8. Frank

Lou dobbs

you are the only one who talks about the real issues notb like you coleagues on cnn22. Neither one of the dems are really talking about issues that are on the minds of america. real health care for all.They are just trying to fake us out. I am turning indipendant after 60 years of dems.

February 25, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  9. Chooch

As I read these comments I ask myself, did some of these people even go to school? My 2 year old Grandduaghter has a better grasp on the English language than people writing in like they know what they are talking about.

February 25, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  10. Keith

Obama was way down in Cali by double digits and that stayed true to form.

All I see here posting is paid bloggers by all the campaigns. Most of these people aren't real either way.

Another nice tactic.

February 25, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  11. Lynn

Which Hillary will show up tomorrow at the debate?? Too many changeovers...doovers...changed tactis...accusations...temper tantrums..

February 25, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  12. prakash chand for HILLARY

CNN stop lying to A merican people,mostly to people of Texas.

CNNs poll in California showed a dead heat (tied) Hillary won by 10 points.

Stop lying to to American people CNN ,you have bunch of alcholics who do your polling.

February 25, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  13. Evan

AJ- The comment you left towards the beginning of this post was absolutely stupid. This is what you are saying. If my candidate doesn't win then lets vote for the other guy because the other guy beat my candidate. Doesn't that sound similar to a child. I mean wake up man you are basing your future and your children's future (if you have any and i hope to god you don't) on a childish and super immature feeling on resentment. Get over it and stop acting like a 5 year old. This is one of the reasons why America is like it is. A true man would swallow his pride but i don't know if the "true man" really exists anymore.

February 25, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  14. richard

A meaningless exercise in the reddest of red states. Florida and Michigan have a better chance to go blue in November, but who's counting?

February 25, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  15. Jon

Hillary, you got my vote!

February 25, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  16. Michael Mee

I sincerely hope all of you Clinton supporters DO leave the demcoratic party for the Republican party.

Even if that makes Obama lose the national election, at least we will start crafting a party of sane, educated people in national politics. As it stand, the base of each party are like three year olds watching a toy commercial, not to mention absolutely NO clue about politics, and views that are well beyond the thresh-hold of delusionality.

Internet generation independents / educated / rational people will finally take over the Democratic party. McCain can come to, so he can stop pandering to the delusional religious right, and speak his mind. Obama / McCain 08 :)

February 25, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  17. Liz from Victoria, BC

YES of course you CAN – this is America for God's sake ( at least the parts China's not holding the paper on). But Pleeeze don't.

As I recall, you and a few chads voted Hope over Experience in 2000 and saddled the world with George Bush Sr's son?!

But in the greatest triumph of Hope over Eperience it's been my misfortune to watch, in 2004 you actually re-elected the Dubya!!

Don't get swept away this time by Style dressed up as Hope instead of the Substantive Experience we sorely need for rebuilding the US. Yes, I'll be voting by absentee ballot.

February 25, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  18. Texan Luv

" If he wins the nomination I will vote for McCain and republicans for the first time in my life." That is what Rahul said and likewise for other Hillary Supporters. Well, so am I and there is not way I'll let a naother "Bush" administration rule this country. Are you not true Democrats and will while like children if our candidate does not succeed the nomination? When I keep seeing these tactics, it makes me want quit this campaign.

February 25, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  19. Gary in CT

Turn out the lights, the party's over.
    They say that all good things must end.
    Let's call it a night, the party's over.
    And tomorrow starts the same old thing again. – Willie Nelson

February 25, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  20. MK

Just something to note. Do you think it is a lot easier to oppose something, lead a rally and speak out without responsibility. Ok, thats a little general, but supporting a vote to invade Iraq, based on the given information – when you know that any mistake would cost the country dearly – should be a greater decision than just going out and opposing it – well given that you did not even have a vote and you were just throwing in your 2 cents.

Well, lets say that was past – how do you propose to correct it. Well, not really any proposals coming out there, are they? Its easy to be an opposing voice than to be a constructive one. Well, I hope whoever gets into the WH, I hope its not someone who does not acknowledge that the war is going wrong, gets making amends and give up their negative/opposing mentality. This should apply to all the dems, since they are the oppositon till now and should stop thinking like one, should they win. To much time in the opposition makes you dull.

And, please grow up and stop calling someone fat, or ugly, or the worst ... If you should, may be you should hit the beauty pageants. And also, what is with this "she should resign" blurb. Its a race, and you go till the end or until you feel you cant win anymore. The race is still close, and mind you I have been hearing these "stand down calls for some time now. May be you are just afraid of the 19-0h N0 jinx!

February 25, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  21. Lilarose in Oregon

I will be glad when March 4 comes and goes.

If Hillary loses that day, I become a Ralph Nader Democrat.

I will never vote for the unvetted Obama.

February 25, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  22. jimhenry

you jealous women supporting Obama Osama Bin Laden shame on you. This would have been your time for a woman president but your being jealous would not allow you SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hillary 2008

February 25, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  23. Everett Springer

By now it is obvious that Americans are motivated to vote for change in this upcoming national election. America cannot stand any more of this radical right wing politics and we will vote for the Democratic party for change . I as an Independent cannot wait till November to see John McCain get whipped in a Landslide. Now it is time for Hillary to get out of this race and support the vote of the majority of the voters . And that is Barack Obama. Go Barack Obama because America needs you.

February 25, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  24. Liam

Remember the polls can be misleading. They showed Senator Obama ahead by only four points in Wisconsin and trounced Hillary. He may be ahead in Texas 12 to 15 points. Just thought that I would point that out, since others keep claiming that the polls being off would only favor Hillary. They did not in Wisconsin, and Senator Obama is the proven closer, where as Hillery is the proven folder.

February 25, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  25. HD

I hope Texas votes in favor of Obama and delivers more delegates to him.

The polls are manipulative. There is a +/- 4% margin of error, so lets say 8% error. 10% of people are undecided and about 10% say they can change their minds before next week. So a total of 28% can change. So it can go either way. Clinton is the favorite to "win" the state and lose to the total number of delegates. She needs to win by large margins (20% plus) to stay alive.

February 25, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |