February 25th, 2008

Poll: It's all tied up for Dems in Texas

Obama and Clinton are deadlocked in Texas, a new poll shows.
Obama and Clinton are deadlocked in Texas, a new poll shows.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are in a statistical dead heat in Texas, according to a poll released eight days before the state's crucial presidential primary.

In the CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey released Monday, 50 percent of likely Democratic primary voters said Obama is their choice for the party's nominee, while 46 percent backed Clinton.

But taking into account the poll's sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points for Democratic respondents, the race is a virtual tie.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Texas
  1. B. Smart

Why is everyone blaming the media? Voters are suppose to be smart
    enough to listen to the candidates and then decide for themselves who
    is the best candidate. I doubt if anyone has decided on a candidate based on media coverage alone. Don't insult voters intelligence. Most
    voters don't like to be told what they are thinking and why.
    OBAMA 08.

February 25, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  2. Ken

Texas, Ohio, Rhode Island, and Vermont. Let's Rock the House! It's time to seal the deal, and get started on the Presidency. I've done my part, now it's your turn. Say it LOUD! YES WE CAN! OBAMA'08!

February 25, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  3. Tony

For all the people who believes "experience" is so important:

George W. Bush was surrounded by people with tons of experience and look at what happened.

Abraham Lincoln served one term in Congress before becoming President. George Washington did not serve political office prior to becoming the first president.

I am not saying experience does not matter, it is just not an indicator of greatness.

February 25, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  4. Jerry

I have voted Democratic for the last 46 years. If Hillery is the nominee I will vote for her, if she is not I will vote for McCain. This country does not need another learn as you go President. We've already had seven years of that.

February 25, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  5. Tony

Also, I would like the Hillary supporters to list actual examples when Obama attack Hillary. Not just broad statements or inneundos, actual attacks on her.

February 25, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  6. Against the Cult

CNN is the only poll that has Obama ahead of Clinton in Texas

February 25, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  7. Anonymous

hilarry isnot consistent. she is always changing what she says. today she is honored to be with obama tomorrow she is ashamed of him. which one are we to believe. i hope every one can see her true nature. she can't be a good president. we don't even know if she is going to do all the things she said she would do because she is so inconsistent.

February 25, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  8. Bridget

The "Clinton Empire" is not able to offer a DIPLOMATIC UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 25, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  9. Does It Matter?

Hey Hillary,

BUH-BYE!

February 25, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  10. Totel90

Now the question is whether Hillary can have enough dignity and moral fibre to gracefully bow out. Many would expect, including the media, that she would not. Many expect that she will continue to lie, manipulate, mudslinging, hiss , scream, mock, cry, smear, etc.

February 25, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  11. sunny g

Hey Texans and Ohioans... PLEASE END this chirade now. Someone who was billed as 'inevitable' is now acting like a spoiled child and the majority of educated, responsible citizens are sick of it. REMEMBER, THIS IS A DEMOCRACY, NOT AN OLIGARCHY... NO MORE DYNASTIES !!

OBAMA '08

February 25, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  12. Carol

CNN you need to start reporting and stop spinning! I dont need you to tell me who to vote for. All I expect from you and what I should be getting from you is real journalism. Shame on you CNN for being bias! For not doing your job! For thinking you have enough power to actually pick a president for the people of the United States. I have not decided who I am going to vote for yet, but I do know it will not be based on ANY information I get from you.

February 25, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  13. H

WE SHOULD START A CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE MEDIA FOR NOT REPORTING THE TRUTH. THEY HAVE BEEN AGAINST HILLARY THE WHOLE TIME.

I HAVE TWO SUGGESTIONS FOR ALL HILLARY SUPPORTERS:

1. BOYCOTT THE MEDIA. MAKE SIGNS IN PROTEST.

2. IF HILLARY DOES NOT WIN THE NOMINATION FORGET ABOUT BEING TRUE DEMOCRATICS. DO NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA , TURN YOUR HEAD. MAYBE START A WRITE IN CAMPAIGN FOR HILLARY. NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. THIS IS MY DREAM. IT'S TIME WE TAKE BACK OUR COUNTRY.

February 25, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  14. William

It may be tied for now but probably not for long.

Has anyone else noticed all the headlines about Hillary "lashing out" at the press, at Obama, at anyone she can hang one shred of blame on?

It won't be long before Hillary is lashing out at her own campaign staff – if she hasn't already.

Bill better duck. I'm sure he will be in the line of fire soon after.

Do we need or want this kind of person in the White House? I don't think so.

February 25, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  15. samuel

texas has a large number of hispanics voters and once again we will make a difference.....hillary will win texas and then ohio.
    GO HILLARY YOU ARE OUR HOPE

February 25, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  16. Georgia voter

Do Obama followers really know his stand on issues other than he wants "change". Change to what and how? (Or do they just want to reap the benefits of the taxes paid by America's "silent majority"?????)
    I bet CNN will not print this but will print the Obama supporters' comments.

February 25, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  17. Dumbies for Hillary

Hillary is still the best one for the job ! Go Hillary ! You are my hero !!!! Weeeeeeeeeeee !!!!

February 25, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  18. Carlos N

CNN you are a disgrace in the way you are manipulating information.
    Hillary is going to win in spite of your efforts.

Los Hispanos votan por Hillary.

Viva Hillay!

Would not be the first time CNN doesn't publish this.

February 25, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  19. Kim, Los Angeles, CA

Texas and Ohio: it is your chance to save the country. Obama is
    not ready, and his foreign policy positions are dangerous.
    Please do not put the power in his hands. If we do not elect Hillary for President, one day our children will look back on this election as the beginning of the end for America as the free world's leader. Can you say third world country? This is not a popularity youth contest: we are voters, not fans. Please VOTE FOR A BRILLIANT LEADER: HILLARY CLINTON.

February 25, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  20. CNN, Why hold my post

Day 1: "It is an honor .."
    Day 3: Shame on you..., meat me in Ohio."
    Day 4: Sarcasm...

Is this a multiple personality issue or a hormonal inbalance issue?
    Whatever it is, we need a stable Commander in Chief. Not someone who would push the red nuclear button when she is 'upset'

Sen Obama sure is cool under pressure.

I really have had it with Sen Clinton.

February 25, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  21. Ana

If Obama wins nomination. I will vote for Mccain.

I am registered democrat

February 25, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  22. THE voting game

DNC screwed this up starting with FL and MI. Next, the let the republican media propt up a JR Senator to only be taking out in the General election. So much for Superdelegates...
    Clinton/obama is the only ticket left.
    Obama alone, loses
    Clinton alone, may win in a close race with McCain.
    Most of Obama voters will migrate back to Hillary Clinton regardless what the press says.

February 25, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  23. Marina

Hillary, Dale Carneige is looking for a few more students and it looks like you'll have time to attend when you loose.

Go Barack!!

February 25, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  24. 4 Obama all the way

I strongly hope Obama take Texas bye some margin so Clinton can drop out gracefully.

February 25, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  25. susanne

Where is this myth originating that Hillary's speeches have all the substance while Obama's have little substance? Every single day I devote several hours to the news and all I get from Hillary are tears, self flattery and angry tirades. I am trying to picture this personality dealing in world politics....get the HOOK! Even as first lady she was tolerable at best! How soon some of us seem to have forgotten....

February 25, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |