February 25th, 2008

Polls: Clinton holds lead in Ohio

Clinton has a lead in Ohio, though it's smaller than it once was.
Clinton has a lead in Ohio, though it's smaller than it once was.

(CNN) Hillary Clinton holds a clear lead over rival Barack Obama in Ohio according to three new polls out Monday, though the Illinois senator is gaining ground in the crucial March 4 primary state.

New surveys conducted by Quinnipiac University, the University of Cincinnati, and the American Research Group all show Clinton with roughly a 10 point lead over Obama, with eight days to go until Ohioans head to the polls.

In the Quinnipiac University poll, Clinton leads Obama by 11 points (51- 40 percent). She holds an 8 point lead in the University of Cincinnati poll (47 percent to 39 percent), and a 10 point lead in the American Research Group poll (49 – 39 percent).

While Clinton still holds a lead in Ohio, a Quinnipiac poll released on February 12 showed Clinton with a 21-point lead over Obama, and a Columbus Dispatch Poll released late last month had Clinton up 23 percent there.

After 11 straight Obama wins, the Clinton campaign has said that victories in Ohio and Texas are crucial to the New York senator's White House hopes.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. jess

I am driving across state lines to canvas for Obama. So are a lot of people. These polls have only just started to move.

YES WE CAN!!!

February 25, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  2. Ken

H.Clinton is too sarcastic for her own good. I was born in Ohio and now live in Texas. Both states have proud people and won't be bullied by the Clinton crowd.

A real "Texan" doesn't want the government taking money out of their checks for health care, if they don't want it.

We have had: Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush, no more Bush and no more Clintons. Many people living today have never seen a President except a Clinton and a Bush. So sad........................

February 25, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  3. Wayne

Her lead has shrunk by 10 points. That's the story of this poll!

February 25, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  4. Dennis in IA

These polls mean nothing! It shows that she is losing her base as she did in the 25 states that preceed March 4. She needs to win by 25+% or more to even begin to make up the ground. The antics over the weekend are going to be pusing those voters on the fence over to Barack, why should we continue to do "business as usual". Barck will win those states and finally end the might Clinton machine. Barack 08!

February 25, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  5. Byron in CA

Go to Nader's home page and look for info on Obama if you really want info on him that no one in mainstream media seems willing to expose.

February 25, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  6. Joe (Wayland, NY)

I support Obama and a message of hope. I "hope" all of Ohio and Texas do too. Hillary mocks Obama's message of hope – but isn't it hope that built this country? Someone had to believe the impossible to voyage across the seas and settle this country. A group of colonists had to hope that they could succeed in a struggle against the might of England. Nelson Mandella and Ghandi had hope to perservere in their struggle. If we can't buy in to a message of hope, then where does that leave us? At least with Obama, we have hope. What do we have with Clinton? More of the same – political infighting – backbiting – and posturing. When will we (as a people) get fed up of it all? (We expect better behavior from our preschool children!)

February 25, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  7. Kimberly in Texas

I hope Hillary goes down in flames...that SHE loses ALL 4 states on March 4th by double digits!!!

February 25, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  8. Dee, Plano Texas

IF YOU WAN'T SEE THAT SEN OBAMA IS "READY ON DAY ONE", LOOK AT THE WAY HE HAS MANAGED HIS CAMPAIGN.
    -$140 MILLION OF "OUR CONTRIBUTION" HAVE PRODUCES 25 STATE WINS.NO MEMBER OF HIS CAMPAIGN STAFF HAS BEEN FIRED.
    -THE RESIGNATIONS AND FISCAL MISMANAGEMENT IN SEN CLINTON'S CAMPAINS HAVE BEEN COVERED EXTENSIVELY BY THE MEDIA.
    THIS "EXPERIENCE" THING IS IMMATERIAL.
    AL GORE ( SERVED IN VIETNAM, CONGRESSMAN, SENATOR AND VP FOR 8 YEARS) LOST TO G.W BUSH (ONE AND A HALF-TERM GOVERNOR WITH NO FOREIGN POLICY EXPERIENCE.). DON'T BLAME RALPH NADER-LAZY DEMCRATS SHOULD HAVE TURNED UP AND VOTED OVERWHEMINGLY-ALSO, GORE COULD NOT EVEN WIN IN HIS HOME STATE(TN) AND BILL CLINTON'S HOME STATE(AR).
    -THE CLINTONS SHOULD JUST GO AWAY.–

February 25, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  9. Donald, Buxton ME

Ohio has had enough talk do you really want to listen to a preaching session for the next 4-8 years? ,Hopefully Ohio's ready for action get em girl get em!

I want fighter , let the Republicans drool over her it shows them for what they are... Drive the wedge till their party breaks apart as they would gleefully do to us. Break them into religous woohoo's / racists / convservatives / libertarians/ independants fractions we can win over the libertarians and independants. And since we are now the conservative party in comparison to this freak'n budget we can pick up a few of them as well.

Go BILLARY! 2 is better then one! and anyway they have to put the letter W back on the keyboards hahaha.

February 25, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  10. BenInOhio

To the likes of G. Lars, I wonder what "specifics" you people are talking about. Why can't you guys be specific about these "specifics" and see if Obama has an answer or not? You just chose to ignore his plans and policies and instead focus on the part of his speeches where he sought to inspire.

These two candidates have debated 19 times already and Obama has held his ground and shown he knows as much as Clinton if not more. if Clinton can't challenge and floor Obama on these so-called "specifics", then we Ohioans will specifically reject Clinton, just like 23 of the 35 states that have voted.

February 25, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  11. Lowell Copeland

I am not convinced that the Obama campaign has locked up a win. I think it is possible that Senator Clinton might well win Ohio and Texas. The pollsters have been wrong several times this year, and I am really unsure as to where this is going.

I expect to see a much more aggressive attitude by Hillary Clinton at the MSNBC debate tomorrow night. I would expect her to attack Obama on several fronts. It will be fun to watch.

I support Senator Obama, but we are a long way from home in this campaign.

Lowell

February 25, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  12. IA. Democrat

Hillary is finished-
    We have one week to close the Ohio gap and then it's over.

Look at the current Texas polling numbers-

It's obvious looking at Hillary's latest smear tactics that her campaign is far beyond ridiculous and this will surely come back to haunt her. She has no shame .

February 25, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  13. Dee, Plano Texas

if Obama gets the nomination, he may well pick retired General

Tony Zinni as his V.P.
    You could not design nor build a better choice for Obama!
    Zinni is a Marine's Marine, a guy that under different circumstances, was as much a hero in Vietnam as McCain.
    He had a brilliant career in the Corps, at times putting his career on the line in order to do the right thing instead of what

his superiors wanted.
    Zinni served in the Gulf War, and served as CENTCOM afterwards.
    He attempted to tell the Bush administration that the intelligence they were giving the public was totally wrong, but was

told his advice wasn't wanted.
    Zinni would be a crushing blow to the McCain campaign. He has far more national defense and foreign affairs expertise,

and, can articulate it much better. His selection would instantly wipe out the McCain gameplan to try and exploit

Obama's lack of military service and lack of experience in foreign diplomacy.
    He has great respect among many important people in the middle east, and has a history of being able to get things

done working with them.

February 25, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  14. Michelle

It's a little scary how Americans can be easily fooled by a smooth talker.

Obama is getting a free ride, and I'm afraid it will be all the way to the White House, but it will be too late then and America will be no better than it is today.

That Kool-Aide is going to be the death of us all, even for those who know better and vote for some one else. I so hope we are all smarter this time around, but I'm afraid we have been fooled again.

Obama is not the right choice. Do your homework, read up on all the candidates, open your minds and pick with your heads not for who people tell you to pick, or who you think has the most movie star qualities, that does not make for a good president.

I live here too and I'm so worried that another inexperienced person will be in charge again, he's going to fail he's not ready and we are all going to be screwed.

February 25, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  15. AOS

I'm a Republican, and don't have a stake in the Hillary – Obama showdown (though I will watch the debate tomorrow night with a bowl of popcorn in my lap), but one thing should be clear to everyone. Hilliary is in it for Hillary and Hillary alone. Her only ambition is to become the first woman president and will say / do whatever it takes to get elected. If I were Obama, I wouldn't turn my back on her for a nanosecond.

February 25, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  16. Nelson-Monfort

In all i blame the Democratic Party authorities in which because of the so call very popular but biased Ex-president Bill Clinton happens to be part of that is creating this very tense moments within the party that will favour the Republicans. Both Hillary and Obama are tearing themselves with nonsence issues and digging deep in their own back yard which in return the Republicans will use against the Democratic nominee simply because the Democratic establishment was very sure Mummy Hillary was going to make a walk through the primaries and caucuses to be the party's nominee. But in my view the Hillary campaign, including her husband have been critising and even insulting Obama and his personality. I think that should stop if the Democrats wants to be the next occupants of the FIRST HOUSE of the country. And to end i have this feeling that SHE just want to be COMMANDER-IN CHIEF, the OVAL OFFICE as she has been saying in most of her campaign speeches.

February 25, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  17. janeinoh

Yes, Go Hillary! We have failth in you! We will fight with you all the way to the White House!

February 25, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  18. Anna, IL

When was this poll taken? Wait a few days. With the latest smear campaign tactics by Hillary, she is finished.

February 25, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  19. Karim

This is unbelievable, one day Clinton is saying shame on you Obama, and the next she is smearing him. What I do not understand is with all the support for Obama, which is obvious just by looking around the comments left the vast majority is for Obama, so how can this race be so close?

Obama '08!!!!

February 25, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  20. Nicholas Nigeria

All Obama supporters who believe in Obama and in change should please stop the name calling and criticism and go to the field to get voters for Obama. At moment he is loosing in polls and your vote is what he needs and not your critics. I regret I am not there because I would have played my own part. All same I have donated but dont stop at that, get 2 registered voters each to give him the lead. Please I beg all Obama fans to act now or regret later.

Nicholas Nigeria

February 25, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  21. Jan, Knoxville, TN

Hillary's outrageous comments against Obama this past weekend caused me to lose any respect for her that I had left, especially in light of her saying the previous Tuesday night "she was so proud to be there with Barack Obama" (e.g., in the debate).

I sure wouldn't want someone that changeable to be in charge of American foreign policy.

Go Obama!

February 25, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  22. Rom

cool, we will see, be patient
    In Wisconsin it was the same !!!
    LOL !!

February 25, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  23. Branch

I support Barack but feel like I can objectively see both candidates for who they are. I thought Hillary could be a good president but the last week has really changed my opinion. I really hate that she lets her emotions get the best of her sometimes. Did you notice when she had her "shame on you" news conference, she came out smiling until she stepped up to the mic? That to me says that it was all tactics and acting. If you are upset, you are not going to be smiling at folks and turn on your anger!! C'mon. With that said, I think that both candidates should be focusing on the issues. But that is hard to do when Hillary continues her attack trying to force Oboma to react the same way he did when they tried it the first time. Stay above the frey Barack. Please, both of you, just the issues!!

February 25, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  24. Annamica, OH

Yes, in Ohio we will be voting for change...change Senator Clinton can accomplish. The majority will not buy into that preacher nonsense.

February 25, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  25. Kate

Hillary supporters have no educated response to any of these articles.

February 25, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |