February 25th, 2008

Polls: Clinton holds lead in Ohio

Clinton has a lead in Ohio, though it's smaller than it once was.
Clinton has a lead in Ohio, though it's smaller than it once was.

(CNN) Hillary Clinton holds a clear lead over rival Barack Obama in Ohio according to three new polls out Monday, though the Illinois senator is gaining ground in the crucial March 4 primary state.

New surveys conducted by Quinnipiac University, the University of Cincinnati, and the American Research Group all show Clinton with roughly a 10 point lead over Obama, with eight days to go until Ohioans head to the polls.

In the Quinnipiac University poll, Clinton leads Obama by 11 points (51- 40 percent). She holds an 8 point lead in the University of Cincinnati poll (47 percent to 39 percent), and a 10 point lead in the American Research Group poll (49 – 39 percent).

While Clinton still holds a lead in Ohio, a Quinnipiac poll released on February 12 showed Clinton with a 21-point lead over Obama, and a Columbus Dispatch Poll released late last month had Clinton up 23 percent there.

After 11 straight Obama wins, the Clinton campaign has said that victories in Ohio and Texas are crucial to the New York senator's White House hopes.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Kevin

If Obama wins I will vote Republican. The office of presidency is not for a novice.

February 25, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  2. Terry

what good is it for the U.S to be the richest country in the world in contribution to NAFTA, when 99% of Americans do not share in it's wealth. Vote Obama for president 2008.

February 25, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  3. rory

Go go go Hillary! Surveys says it all... You're No. 1 here in Ohio. We will not fail you coz we know you won't fails us.

February 25, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  4. Yuma

Good! He is closing the gap. When American people gets a chance to listen to Obama, they become aware of an alternative. It's so exciting that we have a choice now.

I won't be surprised if polls, after her outbreaks of emotions in the last few days, will show Obama has clear decisive lead.

February 25, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  5. Marty, Orlando Fl

We have time. Obama is closing in. Remember what happened in Iowa & Winsconsins. Obama will win Texas and Ohio and Hillary will have to drop out of this race.

February 25, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  6. NOBama

I too have been a staunch democrat my whole life. However, if Obama is the nominee, I too will vote McCain or just stay home. I refuse to be one that has to say I voted for him if he gets in. This guy scares me to death! It's too bad the American people wouldn't wake up before it's too late.

February 25, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  7. Texas4Obama

Texans are smart – we will be voting for Obama!

The polls are usually always wrong in this political season.

Texas will be a landslide for Senator Obama. We are organized, motivated, and informed down here.

Obama – our next President of the UNITED States of America!

February 25, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  8. TomD

He isnt going to DUPE the Ohioians. They know his line of BS is just that, BS>

February 25, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  9. ACFX

After the recent attempted smear, she'll be lucky to hold her Senate seat.

February 25, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  10. Bonnie

After watching the sickening fake sweetness of Hillary at the debate last turn into a raging maniac only a few days later...I am frightened by her bi-polar appearing personality. Now that's all we need for a leader!

February 25, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  11. mj

throughout this campaign obama has shown that he is actually tougher than clinton by sidestepping and brushing of every attack and negative ad. she's backed into a corner and it amazes me how she continues to alienate the rest of her supporters by acting like a spoiled child

February 25, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  12. mona

Forget the polls if you saw how Toledo Ohio received him. It would make you a believer. Yes we need HOPE and a fresh start. He is the person that can do it. So to the polls forget them have been wrong before. OHIO OBAMA!! OHIO OBAMA!!

February 25, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  13. bardha

Hillary, the best, I hope she wins, other way, better any dull republican.
    Go Hillary, not only America loves you, but people from Europe as well!

February 25, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  14. Mona

Who would have thought that CNN would be so biased towards the HRC's campaign.....I guess you have to look somewhere else to get objective (kind of) news coverage of the campaign

February 25, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  15. Charlotte

February 25th, 2008 2:06 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Hillary is the best person for the job. Obama is all hopes and dreams that are nice to have, but you can't sit around waiting to win the lottery. Reality, you have to go to work everyday. It takes a doer not a talker.

February 25, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  16. yvonne g. davis

Mr. Barack Obama thinks he's got the democratic nomination "made in the shade", but I would't bet any money on it! I guess your memory must be fading because former President Jimmy Carter, a great American and humanitarian, bless his soul, lost at least twenty states in his run for the presidency. And, guess what people, he became president of the United States. So, for Mr. Obama, to be so arrogant as to think that he is already the democratic nominee, is rather interesting. It's not over until it's over. He has already declared himself the president....... If he were to manage to win the democratic nod, then it will be very interesting to see him go up against a real man, John McCain. And, oh, guess what Mr. Ralph Nader has just jumped into the ring. Let's see Mr. Barack Obama go up against a well seasoned politician like Mr. Nader. It's going to quite a delight to see!

February 25, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  17. TERESA IN TEXAS

WAKE UP TEXAS, OBAMA SUPPORTERS, HE IS THE MOST LIBERAL SENATOR! I'M A DEMOCRAT, BUT I BELIEVE IN PEOPLE WORKING JUST AS HARD AS I DO TO MAKE A LIVING! VOTE HILLARY FOR A PROSPEROUS NEXT 4 YEARS! YOU NEED EXPERIENCE TO MAKE CHANGE!

February 25, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  18. Peter

It is silly to think that people who watch the debates are not the same people who see many sides of Hillary and I wonder who will vote for her!

February 25, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  19. Jackie

That percentage could change any time between now and March 4,08 look at the way Hillary and her camp conducting themselves,I hate durty politics and so most Americans , Keep it up Hillay you are only hurting yourself. By the way , you do not have my support.

February 25, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  20. Butch

Hillary, it's not the fall that hurts, but the sudden stop at the bottom. You'll hit the bottom of the shaft next Tuesday.

February 25, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  21. pat

What Hillary was going to change with the slogan real change is what Obama is going to change!

February 25, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  22. Eunice K

I wonder what Ohio residents think after the last 2 days of Clinton's tantrums, unprofessional and immature mockery of Obama's speeches in Ohio. These childish tactics of putting a photo online which is probably supposed to sway clear-thinking Americans that Obama is not fit to lead because he wore some traditional outfit. Hillary and her camp are starting to act like six year olds who have been denied candy. Grow up already Hillary, and learn to lose with dignity!!!

February 25, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  23. Me

Ohio sees what Hillary is about. It will be Obama winning Ohio!!!!

February 25, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  24. Ken

Hillary is hiding in Bills coat of presidency. I wonder if he will make all the decisions for her. I wouldn't like a president who can not take pressure. Obama has handled himself so well so far when he is down 20points or up 20points and that is what I am looking for. I can not afford to make another mistake. Not this time, not this year!

February 25, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  25. real

Obama is dangerous, and I hope Hillary takes off the gloves in this Ohio debate. Its time to shine some light on Obama and his weird combination of bed fellows. Everyone from Farakhan to his Wall Street buddies. Obama is an unamerican manchurian candidate and if he is the Democratic nominee I WILL vote for McCain. At least McCain is proud to be an American unlike the Obama and his arrogant wife.

February 25, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |