February 25th, 2008

Polls: Clinton holds lead in Ohio

Clinton has a lead in Ohio, though it's smaller than it once was.
Clinton has a lead in Ohio, though it's smaller than it once was.

(CNN) Hillary Clinton holds a clear lead over rival Barack Obama in Ohio according to three new polls out Monday, though the Illinois senator is gaining ground in the crucial March 4 primary state.

New surveys conducted by Quinnipiac University, the University of Cincinnati, and the American Research Group all show Clinton with roughly a 10 point lead over Obama, with eight days to go until Ohioans head to the polls.

In the Quinnipiac University poll, Clinton leads Obama by 11 points (51- 40 percent). She holds an 8 point lead in the University of Cincinnati poll (47 percent to 39 percent), and a 10 point lead in the American Research Group poll (49 – 39 percent).

While Clinton still holds a lead in Ohio, a Quinnipiac poll released on February 12 showed Clinton with a 21-point lead over Obama, and a Columbus Dispatch Poll released late last month had Clinton up 23 percent there.

After 11 straight Obama wins, the Clinton campaign has said that victories in Ohio and Texas are crucial to the New York senator's White House hopes.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Carrie OR

Richey, the trouble is, the more you really listen to Obama, the more you realize his message lacks substance (when he gives details, they are "borrowed" from Hillary) and his political career is lackluster at best. Simply being a "community organizer" is not a huge accomplishment and certainly not enough to suggest he's ready for the presidency.

February 25, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. BV GA

Obama is a good candidate for change and the white house, Hillary we are tried of the name calling, and picking at a person like a child, get to the issues.

February 25, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  3. Nell

Obama is known as a newcomer celebrity in modern American politic.Do not be too obsessed with his good speeches and words.We need a real leader to lead this great nation facing many challenges ahead.We can't efford for on-job-training commander-in-chief in this critical moment.

Wake up, People of Ohio,Texas & PA!! Save Obama for the next 8 years.

Vote for Hillary to save the America!!

February 25, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  4. Jeff from California

My mother, a Midwest retired teacher and housewife in her late 60's I use as the bell weather average American feeling....and she HATES Hillary. Can't stand to see her speak, or even look at her face. She finds her abrasive, and polarizing. If I can agree with my mother then something is afoot.

February 25, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  5. Brian Austin, TX

Obama can afford to lose by a small margin in Ohio. He will win Texas by an equally small margin thus signaling the end of the Clinton campaign. I would have voted for her if she wasn't so two-faced and would have abandoned her "I deserve to be President, its my turn!" attitude. Those two things cost her my support and my money.

Proud Obama early voter in Texas

February 25, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  6. James

The Clinton camp are resorted to negative adds and personal attachs,but nothing,nothing will save them from being history except History itself.

February 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  7. Jeanie Washington

I truly think what is going on with mrs Clinton is awful. i guess they will do anything to win. I hope people can see this.

February 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  8. NewYorkLady

Why is CNN concentrating their covergage on Ohio.

Remember Texas where Hillary MUST WIN!

February 25, 2008 – Texas Primary Preferences
    Texas
    Democrats Feb 13-14... Feb 23-24

Clinton 42% .....................42%
    Obama 48% ....................50%
    Someone else 3% 2%
    Undecided 7% .................6%

Look out Hillary "The Eyes of Texas are Upon You!

As of today Hillary is down 8 points! After you campain staff's racial attack on Sen. Obama this morning my guess is you will lose by 12% .

Don't let the polls in Ohio fool you either. Hillary is aware that the people of OHIO know who ruined their job base with support for NAFTA! Bill and Hillary! That's who.

February 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  9. Kerry Rottenstein, Toledo, OH

I'm here in Ohio and I'm for Obama. I don't know anyone who isn't so that causes me to wonder who they are polling.

February 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  10. jp

Dear God help us all if Obama wins

February 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  11. Pfunk

This can be done!!!!! OBAMA 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 25, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  12. think

he was closing the gap in california too, then after the debate she whooped him.

February 25, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  13. Franky

I'm telling you, I think Hillary is the favorite in Texas and Ohio. I mean, that's what we got over here. Based on what other people think is not the same as ours. I'm telling you, Hillary SHOULD do good in those states..............NO EXCUSES!

February 25, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  14. James

Obama is a fine presidential candidate, but his plans seem actually be modified versions of plans put forward by Edwards or Clinton first. I think the bottom line is really this, however, we dems have two candidates that are extremely similar and yet we are voting for the one with less experience? Republicans picked the guy they "liked" the most last time, instead of (McCain) the guy who we know reaches across the aisle. Obama is more liberal than Clinton, and I guess I like my presidential candidates to be closer to the middle – like the rest of us!

February 25, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  15. Jenny, Rio Vista, CA

I am keeping my fingers crossed Ohio that you will come out and vote for Barack Obama. Let's make Obama the democratic nominee now so that he can concentrate on beating McCain in November.

I've had enough of the Hilary mud-slinging. It's amazing how "nice" she is when he is sitting beside her, but when he is out of sight she starts slamming him. Hilary, if you don't have the backbone to lie to Barack's face, then don't lie at all.

February 25, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  16. JoAnne Allen

Can I tell you how turned off I am by Hillary Clinton. I was a little frightened last week at the end of the debate, when she actually put on a loving face. I thought oh no.....what if that works? Because her mean, negative face was sending her down a road that I don't think she expected. But, fear not, she has done it again, and it will be followed up with Obama's 11th and 12th wins in a row....mark my words.

February 25, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  17. Chiman

Ohioans and Texans – do we really know Obama? A lot of things coming up lately about him and his wife are a little concerning and should not be ignored. Given the current economic conditions, can we really afford 'experimentation' ? With Hillary or McCain we at least know what we are singing up for. With Obama there are too many unknowns.
    Think and vote!

February 25, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  18. SAM

Ohio like all the remaining states should put their states in the winning columns on the map. Lets stand up for Hope and Change!

February 25, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  19. Shirley

Wrong........ Ohio Loves Hillary. Wait and Witness !

February 25, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  20. trisha2

this ohian is voting for HILLARY. barack is speaking at my school in 20 minutes, and i couldn't care less. i saw hillary over the weekend and it solidified my position.

February 25, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  21. Johnson

Considering that Obama hasn't even started campaigning very much in Ohio..and he is closing in already. We'll see what happens when the voting really starts. I think Hillary is grabbing at straws right now mocking Obama, trying to make fun of his appearence, and things of that nature. Its the last gasp of her campaign cause obviously she can't argue any issues against Obama. She has lost it.

February 25, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  22. Bill Jay

obama does not have the needed respect to become our President.

He refuses to wear the AMERICAN FLAG lapel pin.

During the National Anthem, he refused to place his hand over his heart.

This is offensive to me, because what other liberal things does he really think of in his dark sided inner most thoughts.

obama if you want to help out, then go back to the senate and you and ted kennedy can come of with some gem things.

February 25, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  23. Jordan

I have, on this site, urged people to tone down their responses. It seems like people too often are getting caught up in their emotional reaction to these campaigns. But I'm a NY democrat, and after what's been happening this week, I will never cast another vote for Hillary Clinton ever again. How's that for hyperbole?

February 25, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  24. NOBAMA

Hillary is the most qualified candidate for President, and people in Ohio know it!

Don't listen to the hot air! Vote for a TRUE LEADER!
    !
    HILLARY CLINTON 200

February 25, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  25. Darth Vadik, CA

We'll see at this rate Obama will probably win by 11 points.

February 25, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |