February 26th, 2008

Bush earns Democrat's praise on Africa policy

WASHINGTON (CNN) – It’s not often that a Democrat compliments President George W. Bush, but at an event on African policy Tuesday, former Democratic Congressman and Atlanta mayor Andrew Young had glowing praise for President Bush on the issue of Africa.

Before Bush arrived to deliver his remarks on African policy, Young, former Ambassador to the United Nations during the Carter administration, praised the President and his wife Laura for their work in Africa.

“They have been encouraging democracy and development, trade and still not neglecting the needs of AIDS and malaria and education on the African continent,” Young told the audience.

Following the president’s speech, Young told President Bush “I think your policies [in Africa] are paying off for America in many other ways.”

During his speech, President Bush said that his recent trip to Africa was “without a doubt…the most exciting, exhilarating, uplifting trip I've taken since I've been the President. It was an unbelievable experience.”

Bush’s six-day, five-nation tour of Africa last week was his second trip to the continent and Laura Bush’s fifth. While on the trip, the president announced numerous African initiatives including funds for tropical disease research, the distribution of over 5 million free bed nets to prevent malaria, and he encouraged Congress to increase funding for HIV/AIDS relief.

–CNN White House Producer Xuan Thai

Filed under: President Bush
  1. mark

Obama can do more......

February 26, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  2. A proud Texan

It's too bad that Bush Derangement Syndrome is so epidemic in this country that no other Democrat or liberal in this country can find anything good about W. - let's see how many hateful comments appear from our "enlightened" liberal friends on this article! At least Andrew Young (never heard of him until now) has some guts to give praise when warranted instead of joining the playground name-calling typical of his fellow Democrats.

It's no secret that he's made many mistakes in his presidency, but I for one believe he is a patriotic American trying to do what's right in these crazy times.

February 26, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  3. Joe

I'm certainly no fan of W, but I have to agree with Andrew Young here. With the exception of his insistence on abstinence education as opposed to what I feel is a more realistic approach of safe-sex education to dispel a lot of the myths that are prevalent in certain African cultures, he has done a good job of committing to the advancement of the continent. Maybe its his penance for abandoning the gulf coast post-katrina, who knows...but at least is getting done.

February 26, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  4. Shannon Shiflett

it's "not often" because bush has done almost nothing in 7 years to warrant praise. in fact, he needs to be impeached and convicted, or god will never forgive us. the media may have a brief institutional memory, but i will never forget how many people have died because of the war criminal. don't let the media think for you.

February 26, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  5. PDC

Such a shame.

Bush had so much potential to do great things but he chose the route of money and greed. Squandering the good will toward the US after 9/11 on a fruitless venture (Iraq).

President Bush – Spend the final year of your Presidency doing good at home and around the world. At least attempt to salvage some of your legacy. Tune out the NeoCons and lead from the heart. You won't have anyone to answer to after Jan. '09 except yourself.

February 26, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  6. Dave C - N.J.

Bush should get priase for his recent efforts in Africa, as well as meeting with the Saudi oil companies recently.

I'm not too upset about that tax package either. I won't be buying any Made In China items with it :)

February 26, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  7. eyeingtenure

The man isn't all bad, and his Africa policy is pretty sound. It's the Iraq policy sensible Democrats have trouble with.

February 26, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  8. Randy - Denver

Actually I support Mr. Bush in his African policies, I support his Immigration policies, I support his Afganistan policy (what there is of it), I DO NOT support his American policies (His wanton destruction of the constitution and his paranoid direction and corporate pandering and his attempts to force his religion down my throat) I DO NOT support his policy in Iraq it was wrong from the start and has seen no improvement over time, yes fewer are dying but NONE should have died. He had some potential but lost it when he started listening to the voice in his head (God speaking to him.. his words not mine) instead of the voice of the people.
    I have the greatest respect for Mr. Young (and yes I remember him) and hope to see more of him in the future and happen to agree with him on this statement (although I have disagreed with some of his ideas)

February 26, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  9. wait a minute

I wonder if those 5 million bed nets were made in China.
    Why don't we have them made in Africa and help them both ways?

If we can diversify even 1% of our trade deficit to China to Africa and other poor countries in the world, we can help many more people live a better life in this century.

February 26, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  10. to Shannon

The irony of your statement is the media is very LIBERAL, and you are implying this libearl media has helped defend a tyrant. I find that hilarious because I doubt you have any idea what you are talking about on this matter.

Furthremore, God won't forgive us? If that is the case, then He won't forgive any leader and it's people in any form of human history, but I can bet good money that you were all for The Crusades when you read about it in history books as a kid.

I'm done; this is too easy.

Carl

February 26, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  11. to Shannon

I'm done; this is too easy.

Carl

February 26, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  12. Kristy

I'm sorry, but what about Darfur? Since when is genocide treated as an aside? While Bush isn't the only one to ignore the disaster, imagine what he could do if he threw some attention there?

February 26, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  13. Darth Vadik, CA

WHAT?

HE HAS CUT THE FUNDING FOR AFRICA AIDS HELP BY HALF FROM WHAT THE SENATE AND HOUSE WANTED/

HE HAS LET A GENOCIDE HAPPEN (GRANTED HOW MUCH US SHOULD HAVE BEEN INVOLVED TO BEGIN WITH), BUT HE DID NOTHING

HE FINALLY WENT THERE 7 YEARS INTO HIS PRESIDENCY, A LITTLE TO LATE.

GIVE ME A BREAK.

DEMOCRATS GO TO HELL TOO.

February 26, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  14. Bayou Joe

Praise for Andrew Young and you had the audacity not to post it!!!!!!
    Shame on you CNN.

February 26, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  15. Democrat with a Brain

Please don't confuse liberals with Obama supporters. I have issues with many things this administration has done, but there are several things they have improved. This policy is one.

Heck, if Obama gets the nomination, I'm voting for McCain. So please don't disparage all of us.

February 26, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  16. Darth Vadik, CA

A proud Texan,

YOU CAN TAKE BUSH AND GO TO HELL TO,

MADE MISTAKES,
    EVERYTHING HE DID WAS DELIBERATE

February 26, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  17. Xavier, Washington, DC

Anything Andrew Young has to say isn't worth listening to. Andy, here's a stick, go fetch it. SMH.

February 26, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |