February 26th, 2008

Clinton: I always get the first question

Clinton and Obama squared off Tuesday night.
Clinton and Obama squared off Tuesday night.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton appeared to suggest Barack Obama has consistently received favorable treatment at recent Democratic debates, saying Tuesday night she is often the first one to field questions from the debate moderators.

"Can I just point out in the last several debates, I seem to get the first question all the time?" Clint said during the second question of Tuesday's debate. "And I don't mind, I'll be happy to field them. I just find it curious that I keep getting the first question on all the issues."

Referencing a recent Saturday Night Live skit that portrayed the press as overwhelmingly in favor of Obama, Clinton also joked, "Maybe we should ask Barack if he's comfortable and needs another pillow.”

Clinton's comments echoed those of her communications director, Howard Wolfson, who on Tuesday sharply criticized the press coverage of the Democratic race.

“I think it is true that every time the Obama campaign in this campaign has attacked Sen. Clinton in the worst kind of personal ways, attacked her veracity, attacked her credibility, said that she would say or do anything to get elected, the press has largely applauded him," he said.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. John

Let me get this straight. Hillary is ready to lead from day one, but she's upset over getting most of the first questions? Always the victim, never her fault. She's in it but she ain't gonna win it. Get over it!!!

February 27, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  2. Sandy

I often wondered why she always got the first question. I think it always allowed Obama to listen to whatt she said and then he could answer using her ideas. Also gave him time to think instead of off the cuff.

February 27, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  3. j larry

Hey Billary,

I am counting down the seconds until your political career is finished!!!!
    Millions of us will rejoice and scream for joy that your petty, conniving, divisive, triangulating, whiny attitude will be out of the national political picture.

your mismanagement of this campaign is a telling sign that you couldn't manage a lemonade stand and are not presidential material.

February 27, 2008 01:58 am at 1:58 am |
  4. Whuzi

I'm sitting here laughing so hard at some of these Clinton supporter comments. I know for a fact that it's some of her campaign workers posting some of these things because they sound so fake. She did horrible and that pillow joke was...lame! Not a single person in the audience got what she was saying, not even a chuckle. If it was a joke, it fell super flat. So you expect me to think that some of you guys commenting on how hilarious it was are actually normal blog users. How much does she pay you to blog?

February 27, 2008 02:07 am at 2:07 am |
  5. w

Hillary doesnt mind getting asked first but its just an observation that proves how unfair the questioning process was to her.. She can surely answer the questions directly and smartly and confidently; unlike Obama's "I agree with Hilary".. Go Hilary!!!

February 27, 2008 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  6. A fresh perspective from Fresno, CA

In response to Noella's comment, I would like to offer the following: Senator Obama is very presidential in his demeanor. Any revelation of change will develop upon accepting the nomination. In other words, time is of the essence. Patience is a virtue and Senator Obama is very virtuous. We are so fortunate to witness his monumental candidacy.

Mary A.
    West Fresno, California

February 27, 2008 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  7. paul

Maybe Hillary can host Saturday Night Live after she drops out of the race next week.

February 27, 2008 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  8. zhang

I noticed that Hillary always got the first question. I believe that the commentators were afraid that Obama would got stucked if he was the first to answer the Q.

February 27, 2008 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  9. Bill

The media is so biased against Clinton, it's obvious. If Barack gets this nomination I am going to laugh at how hard the Republican party attacks him. It's going to be ugly.

February 27, 2008 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  10. Beacon

Has anyone noticed how many republican supporters are here making comments against Hillary, stirring up anger without our party.

If we unite as a party, we will win as a party. Go DNC, it's time for a full take over.

Maybe we should all cross over and vote for Mike Huckabee.

Democrats all the way. Take the presidency, the house, and hold on to the senate.

February 27, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  11. Ruth

Hillary was always asked first so that Barack could agree. Hillary's answers were always concise while Barack was redundant and not at all straight to the point. I don't think he knew who Putin's successor was.

February 27, 2008 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  12. Think Critically

None of you Shrillary Supporters stop to think - I know, it must be difficult in between the bologna-sandwich making for soccer practice - WHY everyone hates her? Hint: its not because she's a woman.

February 27, 2008 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  13. Ana U

How many of the people that are Hillary haters have accomplisments like hers? Let me guess... none... So shut up and keep your advices for yourself and your friend Obama!! I cannot believe that the democrats have to wait another four years to get the White House!!! We can get it now, but of course this is what we do the best: shoot ourselfs in the foot!!!!

February 27, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  14. Anonymous

I think if her campaign media person did not come out yesterday complaining about the media maybe it would be different. Instead of her talking about herself she just attacks. Also to the people that think the NAFTA thing is not fair because she was only First Lady, remember she is trying to say she has more experiance because she was First Lady. You can't have it both ways.

February 27, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  15. Candace Candor

To all bloggers who imply the media is endearing to Senator Obama, I offer this: The media coverage regarding Senator Obama's opponent is not flattering ( I agree) but this is because the cameras continually capture Obama's opponent throwing tantrums (i.e. "I always get the first question...") If Senator Obama's "opponent" wishes to be shown in a more complimentray light, then may I recommend she conduct herself professionally while the tape is rolling? The footage doesn't lie. It is what it is. She's not professional. She's not presidential.

February 27, 2008 02:32 am at 2:32 am |
  16. True Million

OBAMARAMA!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to our next Prez. Obama.
    Clinton cant stop the Obama wave, neither Macain.
    Did i say I am an Obamamaniac!!!!!!!!!

February 27, 2008 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  17. frank rhone

gotta love the clinton robots shouting in all caps here.

February 27, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  18. Paul

How come no one sees that Clinton already tried to get Universal Healthcare and had 8 years to do it and failed. What makes it any different this time. Let someone new give it a try. Clinton had her chance.

February 27, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  19. Bernice

Hillary,
    What was you words? "Meet Me In Ohio!"
    Well Hillary as the old people used to say "You wrote a check your behind couldn't cash."

Obama met and conqued you in Ohio!!!!!

Obama,
    Once again you represented yourself very Presidential!!!

Hillary,
    Don't pester him with any more of these useless debates. Why are you trying to give those NASTY REPUBLICANS ammunition by nic picking Obama? Leave him alone! You are not turning people off from him, but it only backfires in your face every time!

February 27, 2008 02:41 am at 2:41 am |