February 26th, 2008

Clinton: I always get the first question

Clinton and Obama squared off Tuesday night.
Clinton and Obama squared off Tuesday night.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton appeared to suggest Barack Obama has consistently received favorable treatment at recent Democratic debates, saying Tuesday night she is often the first one to field questions from the debate moderators.

"Can I just point out in the last several debates, I seem to get the first question all the time?" Clint said during the second question of Tuesday's debate. "And I don't mind, I'll be happy to field them. I just find it curious that I keep getting the first question on all the issues."

Referencing a recent Saturday Night Live skit that portrayed the press as overwhelmingly in favor of Obama, Clinton also joked, "Maybe we should ask Barack if he's comfortable and needs another pillow.”

Clinton's comments echoed those of her communications director, Howard Wolfson, who on Tuesday sharply criticized the press coverage of the Democratic race.

“I think it is true that every time the Obama campaign in this campaign has attacked Sen. Clinton in the worst kind of personal ways, attacked her veracity, attacked her credibility, said that she would say or do anything to get elected, the press has largely applauded him," he said.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Adam Orlando Florida

Well pointed out.

February 26, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  2. Donna

Whiner.

February 26, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  3. Deb IL

I don't blame her, I had already noticed that. They keep cutting her off too! These debates are such a joke...this kind of treatment just further encourages me to not vote for Obama if he does get the nomination.

February 26, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  4. Frantz

If your whining about that, you shouldnt be running for president!!!
    Stop whining Hillary!

February 26, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  5. Anon

She's really grasping at straws here.

February 26, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  6. John, from Las Vegas, NV

I thought she WANTED to be treated like a frontrunner.

Got anything else to whine about?

February 26, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  7. Charles

GOOD FOR YOU HILLARY! STAND UP TELL 'EM LIKE IT IS AND AND IF THE PEOPLE STILL DENY YOU THE DEMOCRATIC NOD....STAND TALL AND RUN AS AN INDEPENDENT! I WILL CONTINUE TO CONTRIBUTE TO YOUR CAUSE...BECAUSE YOU AR THE ONE TO LEAD US!

February 26, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  8. David

She's petulant, Senator Clinton. It smacks of polished foot-stomping, unbecoming a candidate for the Presidency.

February 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  9. Hillary 08

She's completely right. And Russert is so much ruder to her than to Obama. His tone is much more bitting and the questions are sharper. Give me a break!

February 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  10. smokey73

LOL She really does. It kind of bites. Obama has been given more time to talk and explain his platform.
    Hillary step it up and get your point across.

February 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  11. Monica

Shark jumping moment.....

February 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  12. Kelly Anne

Very petty and childish.

Hillary is looking crabby and whiny tonight.

Not a good night.

February 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  13. Matt in IA

Wow.......Going down in a blaze of disgust. This is exactly why I will NEVER vote for her.

PS Did anyone else catch it when she said that Barack looks like the likely nominee to face McCain? Did she just give up completely on winning?

February 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  14. Mike Denis

She is getting ridiculous using an SNL skit in a National debate...wow

February 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  15. Dee

It actually was not funny. It sounded rather petty and silly. And she sounded bitter and angry. I am unimpressed

February 26, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  16. Wendy

Wow, that was awful! This is just as bad as the Xerox comment. What a clunker!!

The pundits will be talking about this tomorrow!

February 26, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  17. Grace

My felow Americans and my freinds in Ohio If you have a chance to look at the debate Hillary is sounding angry, defensive and just not presidential,. This is sad. She is not doing well. In contrast Barack Obama is relax, cool and colective. This is a good night for Barack Obama, in Ohio. I urge all to now go out and support Borack Obama. Hillary did supported NAFTA tonight she daid it her self.

February 26, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  18. Daniel

Let the blame game begin. I think Hillary can call it quit now. She is not looking presidential at all. Obama appears more composed, presidentional, in control of the issues.
    I think Obama did very well and won.

February 26, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  19. James

Ouch. That was an uncomfortable moment. Very cringy.

This is worse than that awful Xerox comment the other night.

February 26, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  20. Mike

So now she has replaced the vast right-wing conspiracy with the vast media conspiracy.

February 26, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  21. JD

Meltdown by any standards. She is debating Tim Russert. All Obama had to do was get out of the way.

February 26, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  22. Janet

I'm glad she pointed out. At a debate each person is suppose to take a turn at getting to answer the question first, because the person who answers second has an advantage. It looks like it worked because they are now making Obama answer questions first. Fair is fair. The media seems to be bending over backwards for Obama. They need to make it fair.

February 26, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  23. Avis C, Richton Park,IL

It was like my children arguing over who gets the first slice of pizza.

This is ridiculous, she's showing desperation. Sad, just sad.

GO OBAMA!!!!!!

February 26, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  24. pd4hillary

Yeah, it's true and it's a shame that it took SNL to put a mirror in the face of the media. We've all seen it!!

February 26, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  25. jacqueline

somebody! quick, get Hilary a tissue!!! poor thing getting picked on by everyone:-( I feel so bad for her....

February 26, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |