February 26th, 2008

Clinton: I always get the first question

Clinton and Obama squared off Tuesday night.
Clinton and Obama squared off Tuesday night.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton appeared to suggest Barack Obama has consistently received favorable treatment at recent Democratic debates, saying Tuesday night she is often the first one to field questions from the debate moderators.

"Can I just point out in the last several debates, I seem to get the first question all the time?" Clint said during the second question of Tuesday's debate. "And I don't mind, I'll be happy to field them. I just find it curious that I keep getting the first question on all the issues."

Referencing a recent Saturday Night Live skit that portrayed the press as overwhelmingly in favor of Obama, Clinton also joked, "Maybe we should ask Barack if he's comfortable and needs another pillow.”

Clinton's comments echoed those of her communications director, Howard Wolfson, who on Tuesday sharply criticized the press coverage of the Democratic race.

“I think it is true that every time the Obama campaign in this campaign has attacked Sen. Clinton in the worst kind of personal ways, attacked her veracity, attacked her credibility, said that she would say or do anything to get elected, the press has largely applauded him," he said.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. MD Democrat

Obama a.k.a. Captain Xerox. He rides on all of Hillary's debate answers

February 27, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  2. Jeremy C.

First off, in the last ten debates Clinton has been asked the first question six of those times. Granted, that's just over 50% of the time, but it is no reason to complain about it. It's like they said on MSNBC tonight, don't you want the coin flip to go your way so you can get the kickoff?

Secondly, Obama handled himself very well tonight. Clinton came off as grasping at straws. Hopefully, if she loses Texas OR Ohio, she can bow out with what little grace she has left.

February 27, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  3. PA Voter

So if I read these comments correctly, it's really the owners of the media who's electing our next President and not us at all.... Just a thought!

February 27, 2008 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  4. Liam

If Hillary becomes President, will she never be able to hold press conferences, because that would mean she would always get asked the first question!

February 27, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  5. Frestien

You go Girl.......... answer the first question! Then veer off on health care for 16 minutes!

February 27, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  6. Anonymous

Obama 08

February 27, 2008 12:54 am at 12:54 am |
  7. issie

Are we sure Hillary is someone we want to run our White House? She is too argumentive and constantly interrupts. Did you notice her eyebrows didn't match her hair. Shame on her makeup person.

February 27, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  8. Trenton Sims, Los Angeles

Can we get some more cheese with that Whine??

February 27, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  9. aware

Hillary is right! Barack just copies her answer and embellishes a bit if she goes first. He needs to be put on the spot. Barack is such a loser but the media has crowned him king. Hopefully the American people will see through the scam. If not then McCain 08 :)

February 27, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  10. Obamacan!

Clinton is cry baby! Will she do the same when she is faced with foreign criticism? I'd rather not take my chances with her.

February 27, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  11. Try

If Obama wins, I am going to vote for a Republican even though I like to think of myself as a democrat. Many things that Obama said has been a variation of the leadership books that he had read when he wrote his book. I don't buy into his words.

February 27, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  12. independent

she just wanted to remind us how friggin hilarious saturday night live was this week :)

February 27, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  13. Oyin

Hillary – Just stop all the whinning.

February 27, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  14. Paul from Kissimmee

I didn't get to see the debate tonight. After seeing the others though, it seems like Saturday Night Live hit the nail on the head. I can't wait to see tonights debate. I wonder if they changed it up.

February 27, 2008 01:26 am at 1:26 am |
  15. Kate

Obamabots? Wow clever... how about unedcuated Clintonians?

February 27, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  16. NO_MO_CLINTONS in Tokyo

WELL DONE PRESIDENT OBAMA!

February 27, 2008 01:31 am at 1:31 am |
  17. Martina

Not only does Obama keep raising his hand and pointing while Hillary is answering, he grunts, smirks, snickers, shakes his head, nods to the moderator and mouths words to him. Does he know anything about debate behavior? Or how about courtesy, does he know anything about that? And don't mention him pulling out her chair in earlier debates; that was for effect when the lights were still on. When the stage darkened during breaks in those earlier debates, he leaped out of his chair and tore off the stage as if someone had yelled fire. After a second or so, Hillary stood up and groped her way off stage in an opposite direction.

February 27, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  18. Kevin

She is in command of all issues and all Obama does is to agree with her. He will be the VP at best.

February 27, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  19. angie

Several people have wrote "ladies first" as the reason that Clinton always gets asked the question first. That is such a sexist comment. No wonder you are voting for an empty suit over a smart, intelligent woman.

February 27, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  20. Concerned Christian In Bible Belt

CNN I just wanted to say that people all across our great nation have seen how biased your reporting has been for Obama. At this critical juncture in our country's history I thought you guys would have the professionalism and decency to give us fair and balanced reporting. You guys should be ashamed! I mean it's been TERRIBLE!

February 27, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  21. Jen

Hillary makes me feel very uncomfortable. She's just so emotional and seems very crazy! There's an evilness and sense of entitlement she exudes that makes me feel like she is very self centered and fake. I'm definitely voting for Obama and it will be the first time I vote for a Democrat but I'm confident in my decision. GO BARACK OBAMA!!!

February 27, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  22. independent

Hillary knows her stuff and how to stand up to every single issue. she is tough and straight to the point. she's not a poet...poets don't rule countries. the media is biased, people! wake up and smell the propaganda! tonight's debate was a perfect example. this is not American Idol or MTV anymore. this is real.

February 27, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  23. Jakey

Hilary is right.
    What has the Media brought itself down to? Do MSNBC and Co think they can actually influence the minds of voters as to who they should vote for?
    The more you bash her the more we love her.
    The media has lost all credibility.

February 27, 2008 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  24. Whuzi

ah, women...

they cry when you don't give them attention...then they argue when you give them too much. make up your mind...there is no pleasing this lady

February 27, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  25. Steve

Maybe she should change her name back to Rodham, or choose some other state to represent that will give her broader appeal to the rest of the country, or maybe she should tear up again. Mrs. Clinton does have more experience than Obama - more experience with deceiving, coniving and playing the game. If she wasn't so unlikeable, she could have been the media darling. Wait until Obama runs against McCain and then you will see the media and Hollywood really show favoritism

February 27, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |