February 26th, 2008

Clinton: I always get the first question

Clinton and Obama squared off Tuesday night.
Clinton and Obama squared off Tuesday night.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton appeared to suggest Barack Obama has consistently received favorable treatment at recent Democratic debates, saying Tuesday night she is often the first one to field questions from the debate moderators.

"Can I just point out in the last several debates, I seem to get the first question all the time?" Clint said during the second question of Tuesday's debate. "And I don't mind, I'll be happy to field them. I just find it curious that I keep getting the first question on all the issues."

Referencing a recent Saturday Night Live skit that portrayed the press as overwhelmingly in favor of Obama, Clinton also joked, "Maybe we should ask Barack if he's comfortable and needs another pillow.”

Clinton's comments echoed those of her communications director, Howard Wolfson, who on Tuesday sharply criticized the press coverage of the Democratic race.

“I think it is true that every time the Obama campaign in this campaign has attacked Sen. Clinton in the worst kind of personal ways, attacked her veracity, attacked her credibility, said that she would say or do anything to get elected, the press has largely applauded him," he said.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. robert from california

SHE IS WRIGHT TO HATE HOPE, BECAUSE SHE HAS NONE.

VOTE O B A MA

February 26, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  2. Anonymous

very..very..intresting.

February 26, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  3. don

I noticed in the last debate on CNN that she got the first question most of the time, but I thought that because the two candidates have such similar views and policies that this was a disadvantage for Obama because he looked like he was copying off of Clinton. I saw this as an advantage for Clinton because she got to get the fresh and unrepeated answer out first.

February 26, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  4. Carrie PA

Always the victim! Hillary is having a breakdown. It is over for her.

February 26, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  5. Pam

Why does Obama get unlimited time to speak, but when Hillary is asked a questions, they keep cutting her off as she is speaking. The media has already determined that they want Obama.

February 26, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  6. Neal

she's old Washington.

February 26, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  7. Bayou Joe

I am writing and watching the so called debate and totally agree with Hillary. Obama is being treated with kid gloves and afforded the opportunity to gauge what Hillary says and then piggyback on her comments. She was stopped in the middle of her comments by not only Barak, but also by the moderators. I have also noted that Barak is now backing off from hiscomments that he would withdraw all troops from Iraq from day one. It is obvious that he is trying to move to a more moderate positon just to gain votes from middle America.

I frankly don't buy this bull. He is what he is and he can't change that.
    God help this Country if either one of these socialist democrats were to win in November.

February 26, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  8. George Wood

The debate on MSNBC looks like a re-run of the skit on SNL! It is truly unbelievable and would be very funny if it were not so poorly done. Tim Russett really is over the top in attacking Hillary, he is a disgrace.

February 26, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  9. tom

hill gets the question first so barak can say i agree with hillary

February 26, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  10. jm24

Looking like the witch she is. Rude, rude, rude.

February 26, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  11. hoosier

That's when she bombed. It didn't take her long this time.

February 26, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  12. Michael

She's being bullied, especially by Russert. I can't believe it. Obama is rude. He keeps raising his hand, talking through her statements, and making faces. It's just rude.

February 26, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  13. Sue Marie, MI

If anyone is watching the debate on MSNBC tonight, you'll see the obvious media bias. Obama doesn't even need to be present. Tim Russert is attacking Clinton at every turn; you'd think this disgusting man is part of Obama's campaign. Additionally, he begs Obama to comment on whatever Clinton says so that he can have the last word, but Hillary is continually cut off.

February 26, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  14. Neshia

Hiliary is so full of it. She is sinking further and further! What a winer! She is so giving strong women a bad name! I have and will never vote for her! Go Obama!!

February 26, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  15. Summer

As a self proclaimed "fighter" she's coming across as a whiner who can't take the heat. Not a good night for the Clintons. True colors are shining through! I'm glad that Obama has taken the higher ground.

February 26, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  16. jamaicanproUSA4BO

From previous postings it is clear that I supports Senator Obama but I am watching the debate and do feel empahty for Senator Clinton not does she get the first questions but I am extremely disappointed with Tim and Brian whom I both have high regards for but it seems like they are ganging up on Mrs Clinton – it's like an organised attack and I'm waiting to see when they are going to ask my candidate some tough questions. She certainly holds her own among three men and I am a male but I have very little desire for male egoes gone wild, especailly one who was raised by a single mom! Come on guys this is shameless! And it seems that from the last debate that he won the toss but much preferred to go second so she might have a point ...another vast right-wing conspiracy.

February 26, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  17. Rob

Geese! With all of the substantive information provided by Hillary Clinton to answer the questions, CNN decides to point out this irrelavent comment. Why? Is it because she is calling the media on a possible bias? Hmmm.......

February 26, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  18. SJ Thornton

What a nasty woman. How can the world leaders take her seriously!!!???????

February 26, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  19. Kevin

ironic that cnn forgot the "n" in clinton, calling her clint in the blog talking about how the media ignores her lol

February 26, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  20. Ray

Oh!.......experienced candidates and those who can take in charge from day one are now avoiding the chance to impress people for given the first question? ..strange to me..... Looser!!

February 26, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  21. Monica

I completely agree with Hillary but what else would you expect from the media.

February 26, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  22. Ron

Sen. Clinton does make a good point about having to field the first question of these debates. It's not an easy role to fill to go out on a limb with a response, an idea, then sit back and have her opponents, in her case tonight of two male media representatives and a male candidate, deconstruct what she said and explain how it's flawed. If Sen. Obama were to field the first question, then he would have to go through the same disadvantage as Sen. Clinton. It should have been a standard with all the recent debates between the two that the opening questions alternate.

February 26, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  23. Gabby

If Hillary finds it hard to be asked a question first, who exactly would she expect to be answering first of the President? I see they keep cutting her off because she will not stop talking on her own. I see her also doing some back peddling. NAFTA and healtcare are good examples. It floors me that she thinks the good people of the U.S.A. don't know the difference. It's like watching a train wreck I can't look away. **shakes my head** Some times the old lion will not go down gracefully.

Obama 08 Yes We Can :)