February 26th, 2008

Clinton: I always get the first question

Clinton and Obama squared off Tuesday night.
Clinton and Obama squared off Tuesday night.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton appeared to suggest Barack Obama has consistently received favorable treatment at recent Democratic debates, saying Tuesday night she is often the first one to field questions from the debate moderators.

"Can I just point out in the last several debates, I seem to get the first question all the time?" Clint said during the second question of Tuesday's debate. "And I don't mind, I'll be happy to field them. I just find it curious that I keep getting the first question on all the issues."

Referencing a recent Saturday Night Live skit that portrayed the press as overwhelmingly in favor of Obama, Clinton also joked, "Maybe we should ask Barack if he's comfortable and needs another pillow.”

Clinton's comments echoed those of her communications director, Howard Wolfson, who on Tuesday sharply criticized the press coverage of the Democratic race.

“I think it is true that every time the Obama campaign in this campaign has attacked Sen. Clinton in the worst kind of personal ways, attacked her veracity, attacked her credibility, said that she would say or do anything to get elected, the press has largely applauded him," he said.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Dan

Hillary is being bullied, especially by Russert. I can't believe it. Obama is rude. He keeps raising his hand, talking through her statements, and making faces. It's just rude.

February 26, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  2. Teresa in Kansas

A coin toss determined who got the 1st question in the last debate...SHAME ON YOU COIN!!!

February 26, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  3. Finn

She is a horrible candidate. She can't handle the pressure of a primary and keep her cool now, how will she do in the regular election, or more importantly, foreign affairs. If its between her and McCain, I will be truly dissapointed in our country's inability to see through a candidate with self interests over the interests of its own citizens who need help... yet again.

February 26, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  4. Pat

Hillary,

Do you want some cheese with your "whine"

February 26, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  5. Sue

This primary election season has been a sham. CNN and other news media have completely lost my respect. I feel like I am living with a state controlled media which tells us what to think and whom to vote for. I've never seen anything like this.

It's not your job CNN to slant the news to make your candidate Barack Obama more attractive so that you can convince people to vote for him. It is also not your job to make Hillary look bad so that they will view her in a negative light. You have a responsibility to provide accurate information so that the people can make an intelligent decision on their own.

There are more people than you know who are so disgusted by your election coverage and will no longer watch CNN. I'm one of them.

February 26, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  6. Shane

If tonight REALLY is Hillary's last stand .... Congratulations on the bid Obama!!!

February 26, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  7. Andy

I certainly noticed and agree with Hillary. She is always asked the questions first and then Obama plays off her response duplicating most and maybe adding a little. Wonder if he could think of his own answers. It has been without a doubt that the media really is pushing Obama out front even when this is not the case. Watch the tapes on the last debate. Hillary stated on one question about immigration she would help Mexico strengthen their own economy in Mexico and create jobs. Then Obama came in with "me2". The next day the reports stated that Obama stated this and not a word about Hillary having stated it first or even at all. She has every right to be upset.

February 26, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  8. Katie

ARGH. I almost can't watch her. It's too uncomfortable.

February 26, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  9. john williams san diego, ca.

another broken promise..i will release my tax returns..(unless i get the nomination and then it will depend on the definition of release)

February 26, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  10. TJ

It's great to watch her lose.

February 26, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  11. Maureen

Give me a break-OMG-Boo-hoo, poor Hillary-NOT!!!
    Good for Sen. Obama for not stooping to her level.

February 26, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  12. catmom

I find it interesting that the media has tooted all of Obama's endorsements but didn't say a word about Louis Farrakan endorsing him. Oh well, since he just renounced and rejected the support, I guess it doesn't matter.

CNN, does this comment have a chance to be posted?

February 26, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  13. John, from Las Vegas, NV

Wow, NOW he's an anti-Semite according to her?

Chalk another one up for Clinton race-baiting.

Utterly reprehensible.

February 26, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  14. JC

You know canidates are getting desperate when they refer to SNL in a national debate, which was emphasized when you heard crickets responding. Getting to that "leave gracefully" period, isn't it?

February 26, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  15. Jdona

Gee, debate the issues anyone? How about Obama chairing a NATO

February 26, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  16. ds

I don't think I could stand to listen to that voice of Hillary's for 4 yrs. (if she SHOULD be elected president)! If she can't take the heat here in the U.S., how could she take criticisn from other countries, and you better believe she would receive plenty of it. She is certainly not prepared to lead our nation.

February 26, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  17. Lee

She is absolutely right – She tells a great answer then Obama just says I agree with Hillary

He has so gotten a free ride in this nomination from the press – it is ridiculous. If he wins the nomination I will vote for McCain. He is too arrogant for his own good and has the experience of a 1st grader. At least John Mc Cain has some experience and knows where Pakistan is actually located. Has Obama even been outta the country except to visit Muslim Kenya?

February 26, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  18. Dan-Milwaukee

My fav's:
    “If any of you have seen SNL, we should ask Barack if he is comfortable and needs another pillow.”

“Well Tim, it isn’t reality: you are making a lot of hy
    “I was trying to have a little fun, it’s hard to find time to have a little fun out there on the campaign trail.” [In regards to her comments about celestial lights and Barracks’ supposed Messianic speeches.]

February 26, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  19. Curtis

As an interesting note:

MSNBC is not accepting live audience comments. This is very annoying. I would much prefer to have CNN run, at least the web part, of this debate. Just my opinion.

February 26, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  20. phdiva

Make up your minds!!! The last debate had Hilary supporters saying that he just agreed with everything that she said. If that is the case, then why complain...doesn't it make her look smarter? NOT!!

February 26, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  21. Jane Robertson

Why aren't people noticing that Obama doesn't salute the US flag and he won't wear a US flag lapel pin??????? Why? Is this who we want running our country???????

February 26, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  22. Right on Day1

Whiner in Chief.

LMAO.

All that knowledge, but no people skills.

February 26, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  23. Hannah Christman

I am thirteen years old. I may not be completely aware of every action or quote of either of our candidates, but from this debate I would say that Brrack Obama has gained my favor after cleverly outwitting Hillary for her obnoxious and irrelevent outbursts which were extremely annoying. So, although I am not allowed to ever vote for him this time, I hope someone will cast a vote for me.

February 26, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  24. Ryan

Gosh I wish the best political team on television were responding live to this debate. I know its on another network, but why hold back your opinions and commentary? I'd rather be reading that than the commentary string from the inner-partisan folks online at home.

February 26, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  25. Truth seeker

Barack cannot be dissuaded.
    He is on a mission. Unstoppable!

February 26, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |