February 26th, 2008

Clinton: I always get the first question

Clinton and Obama squared off Tuesday night.
Clinton and Obama squared off Tuesday night.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton appeared to suggest Barack Obama has consistently received favorable treatment at recent Democratic debates, saying Tuesday night she is often the first one to field questions from the debate moderators.

"Can I just point out in the last several debates, I seem to get the first question all the time?" Clint said during the second question of Tuesday's debate. "And I don't mind, I'll be happy to field them. I just find it curious that I keep getting the first question on all the issues."

Referencing a recent Saturday Night Live skit that portrayed the press as overwhelmingly in favor of Obama, Clinton also joked, "Maybe we should ask Barack if he's comfortable and needs another pillow.”

Clinton's comments echoed those of her communications director, Howard Wolfson, who on Tuesday sharply criticized the press coverage of the Democratic race.

“I think it is true that every time the Obama campaign in this campaign has attacked Sen. Clinton in the worst kind of personal ways, attacked her veracity, attacked her credibility, said that she would say or do anything to get elected, the press has largely applauded him," he said.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Guma

Hillary was right!

February 26, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  2. matt greenberg

How can she be ready on day one if she cannot answer a question when she is called first. There is a bit of irony in that.

February 26, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  3. catmom

My fellow Americans and Buckeyes, listen to the debate with an opem mind and no preconcieved notions as many of these post are doing. Hillary is doing just fine

February 26, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  4. fornswerth for OBAMA

I JUST WANTED TO TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO REJECT AND DENOUNCE HILLARY AND BILL

February 26, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  5. pretty

I think Senator Hillary Clinton is being very desperate with these minor complaints. First, she demanded to have this debate and many more and now she is questioning who gets the first question. Surely there is more she can come up with.

February 26, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  6. laterg

I remember in the last debate that they mentioned the first question was chosen by the flip of a coin. I sure hope nothing unlucky happens to President Hillary. That would just be unfair.

February 26, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  7. Sue

SHe is not desperate she is RIGHT!!!! The press jumps on every negative word she says. If Obama says something negative it barely gets any press. CNN and all reporters should be ashamed!!! WHat if Hillary was a man? THe coverage would be very different. Stop and think about what is best for our country! Change or Change with solutions and experience? For those of ou that are so quick to judge Hillary because she speaks her mind what about Obamas wife and her statement...little press coverage and I am sure many of you will justify her statement so lets get past the negative remarks and not act as politicians but join together and do what is best for America. The press is biased we all know that and Hillary has a right to speak her mind so I say GO HILLARY and look at the issues and solutions and not vote according to reactions to our emotions.

February 26, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  8. Jane

Hellary keeps thinking if she goes into attack mode toward Obama in these debates that this will somehow garner her more votes and support and sympathy. She is just proving how ultimately eternally negative she is. I hope by early next month and shortly after this debate she is out for good. Once she is out, she will probably again complain she wasn't "treated fairly." It all goes back to Iowa and her turning on the water works for NH voters. It's almost over and she's almost GONE. Hallelujah!!

February 26, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  9. julie

Let's get serious...Hilary would complain if she was asked questions second. She constantly whines...we are getting tired of her!

February 26, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  10. Anna from Illinois

What she says is true.The press praises Obama for smearing Hilary and turns against Hilary when she tries to call him on it or show his polices.So,American people who vote him in shouldn't whine when it doesn't come out all sunshine.

February 26, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  11. JOHN

sssssssssssssssssa, hillarys about to put her foot in her mouth.

February 26, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  12. Sleepless in Charlotte

As an Obama supporter and a female, I still had respect for Hilary Clinton. Tonight, I am shocked and disappointed. It's as if she has given up. She is debating the commentator and her demeanor is worse than my 2 yr old when she doesn't get her way. I simply cannot see how she would be able to meet with ANY world leader to resolve ANY conflict when she allows her emotions to take over so easily. II think she would lead us into the next cold war. This is hard to watch.

February 26, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  13. Schroeder

Quite accurate. I also find it curious that "objective" CNN proudly displays Opray.com on their main web page. No slant here.

February 26, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  14. OBAMA 08

Stop asking for debates and maybe you won't have to answer any questions :)

February 26, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  15. Van

Prior to the writer's strike SNL did a skit that portrayed the media favoring Hillary Clinton and this was an acurate portrayal of what was happening in the real world. They even had Brian Williams (I think) appear as the commentator and he showed preference to Hillary as the front runner. He took her out of the room and gave her the questions prior to the mock debate and left all the other contenders in the room. This aired prior to any actual primary election when the media was hyping Hillary as the front runner and showing her preference.

Her problem is that she was not ready for a real Primary race. She thought that she had it in the bag and would have the race won by Super Tuesday. Didn't work out that way and now she's mad.

I'm in Ohio and I'll be voting for Barack next Tuesday.

February 26, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  16. Richard from Detroit and Dearborn

Yup!!!!!! Knuckle sandwiches and possibly {more}? at the Democratic Convention this summer.Sad Historic Moment for our Country,getting laughs from many of my relatives in Europe over this election specially on these two.Glad I,m not a member of the Democratic Party.

February 26, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  17. Lisa-Missouri

ZING! Ouch. She cannot outsmart Barak Obama, no matter how badly she wants to or how smart/manipulative she thinks she is. Hill should have left the Louis F. issue alone; she set Obama up for a beautiful score. The man is brilliant, and she is simply a rude, spoiled and bitter wife riding on her husband's coat tails.

February 26, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  18. Victoria Coates

Didn't see the debate, don't have to. We already know that Obama was wonderful and Clinton was despicable. Just waiting for CNN to confirm that and then we can go to bed.

February 26, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  19. sk

He regurgitates her stance on everything.

February 26, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  20. doris

RE: Clinton,
    Voters, remember...
    first time...oops!
    second time...stupid!

Haven't we already had enough of the Clinton dynasty?

February 26, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  21. Anne

Honestly now... does American REALLY need a President that is going t complain because she is asked things FIRST and things are UNFAIR... come on now....she CHOSE to run.....DEAL WITH IT!!!

February 26, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  22. sarra

This is ridiculs all my message are not going to be print strange is that because I am not pro Obama

February 26, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  23. P.

"In contrast Barack Obama is relax, cool and colective."

Of course, with a sympathetic media... who isn't relaxed and cool?

February 26, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  24. Anonymous

Why do you continue to read cnn and follow their coverage if you think it is so biased? Go to Fox for God's sake? Stop wasting blog space whining like your weak candidate!

February 26, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  25. Becky in Indiana

Sure doesn't look good for Hillary...

February 26, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |