February 26th, 2008

Clinton: I always get the first question

Clinton and Obama squared off Tuesday night.
Clinton and Obama squared off Tuesday night.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton appeared to suggest Barack Obama has consistently received favorable treatment at recent Democratic debates, saying Tuesday night she is often the first one to field questions from the debate moderators.

"Can I just point out in the last several debates, I seem to get the first question all the time?" Clint said during the second question of Tuesday's debate. "And I don't mind, I'll be happy to field them. I just find it curious that I keep getting the first question on all the issues."

Referencing a recent Saturday Night Live skit that portrayed the press as overwhelmingly in favor of Obama, Clinton also joked, "Maybe we should ask Barack if he's comfortable and needs another pillow.”

Clinton's comments echoed those of her communications director, Howard Wolfson, who on Tuesday sharply criticized the press coverage of the Democratic race.

“I think it is true that every time the Obama campaign in this campaign has attacked Sen. Clinton in the worst kind of personal ways, attacked her veracity, attacked her credibility, said that she would say or do anything to get elected, the press has largely applauded him," he said.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Patricia Shavers

I wish they both would think of the good of the country in all their responses. If they did, we could be proud of our candidates. It's not about them.

February 26, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  2. Benjamin

Tougher questioning- better answers. THIS is why Hillary Clinton NEEDS to win this thing. Come on Texas and Ohio!

February 26, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  3. Louie Hendon

I think that, although this was said in jest, Senator Clinton was actually showing herself as defensive, emotional and snidely addressing her distaste for both Senator Obama and the media. I think it would was inappropriate and obviously full of emotional disdain! Bad Move Hillary, bad move!

February 26, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  4. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Okay, it's like Obama saying, Hillary you invited all us here, now what do you want to talk about. Hillary calls a "meeting" and then complains about being asked why. Obama doesn't have time to sit and listen to Hillary's complaints and we don't have time to listen. Hillary brings nothing new to the debates and her time is up. Vote Obama.

February 26, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  5. Paul in Peterborough

Ready on day one? A true leader would accept the challenge and not whine. Someone who had relevant experience would handles teh pressure with ease. She has neither.

February 26, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  6. connie

It doesn't matter if the questions come to Sen. Clinton first, last she still comes out as a winner. She just has the knowledge, the fight, and the concern for the american people. All respect to Sen. Obama, Sen. Clinton is the better person for President for the United States.
    She is simply amazing.

February 26, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  7. Cherie

I feel a bit sad. That she's using female wiles to win her campaign and that as usual women and men "feel sorry for her"
    Well stand in my shoes. Support a chronically ill child, work 50 hours a week. Lose a house, I don't cry in front of others, I don't blame the "media" for my losing streak, I don't sit and whip my opponent and display stupid pictures of him in garb. I merely focus on what I have to do to get thru the day and the rest of my life. Whining about external things never gets anyone anywheres.
    Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, stop being whiny. Just be yourself, If you can't do that, then you have lost the person you were meant to be. And therefore should not win this election.

February 26, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  8. Kayla

Crissy, you are right "Not all of us were born smart, confident and did I mention smart." Fortunately for us, both HIllary and Obama were so we can't lose in this deal...

February 26, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  9. Dan

Remember that this is the same channel that suspended a commentator that said they pimped their daughter. They also said that Clinton was "philandering." They've apologized to the Clintons for going too far several times.

She has every right to be suspicious of what they are doing, because they are the most transparent for their like of Obama.

Forget objective and fair reporting.

February 26, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  10. Paul in Peterborough

Ready on day one? A true leader would accept the challenge and not whine. Someone who had relevant experience would handles the pressure with ease. She has neither.

February 26, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  11. Jkan

I read all the blogs, especially of the Hillary-haters. Under the circumstances, none of them could speak, .let alone DEBATE. hating someone doesn't help anyone.

It makes me think, Obama probably, if nothing else, created a large population of HATERS. And that's very sad.

Hillary is going to win!! Just wait and see.

February 26, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  12. bob

I am still laughing myself silly over this!!!

ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS HILLARY

She ACTS all upset and then SAYS she isnt.

ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

your ACTIONS said you were upset about it, but then your words said you didnt mind.

Thank you for showing all the American people that you do INDEED act one way and speak another.

We wont even get into how many times hilarity clinton INSISTED on answering what she wants to answer rather than co operate with the moderators.

She's belligerent, obnoxious, abusive, and unreasonable.

What';s the difference between hilarity clinton and Al Queda? You can negotiate with Al Queda

February 26, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  13. Paul in Peterborough

Ready on day one? What a joke. A true leader would accept the challenge and not whine. Someone who had relevant experience would handle the pressure with ease. She has neither.

February 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  14. NO WAY

MY DOG ATE MY HOMEWORK

WAIT, I BROKE A NAIL

I SKATED OVER MY SHOELACE

WHY ISN'T ANYBODY VOTING FOR ME

MOM, HE'S PICKING ON ME.

TELL HIM TO QUIT IT

ITS NOT FAIR

February 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  15. Maurice, MI

It's funny how 6 to 8 weeks ago, when hillary had double digit leads in almost all the primary, there wasn't favortism now that Obama is in the lead there is favortism from the media??? If Hillary become President will she run her presidency like her campaign? Niether Candidate has been Mayor or Governor, niether has ran a business or company, so what experiance?

February 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  16. JOHN

OBAMA HAS SURPRISED ME HE KNOWS ABOUT FOREIGN POLICY. OBAMA JUST HAD A CLINTON MOMENT AT THE END OF THE DEBATE.

February 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  17. Dan

Is it just me, or did Obama just recycle Clinton's closing speech from the last debate?

Let's see if the press calls that a concession speech.

February 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  18. Hawkeye

In one week Hillary will be history. Why even pay attention to her, she is not even a good hasbeen. Lets' get on with our lives.

February 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  19. Jan in MI

Tim Russert is being extremely rude to her.

When he challenges Obama.....it's a whole different tone.

I think she did very well with these 3 ego maniacs.

go Hillary 08

February 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  20. Lana

Yes, the media, all organizations have clearly been biased toward obama. They're media are whimps. They gave bush a free ride in 2000, the iraq war a free ride in 2003 and now their favorite prince the pied piper. They allow themselves to be intimidated by the christian right, the neo cons, the coporate powers that be and now it is the african american community for fear of being labled as racist. What happened to fairness, objectivity in reporting news. I no longer watch any cnn, msnbc except for LOU DOBBS, DAN ABRAMS and sometimes Larry King. I am so disgusted disappointed insulted in our media. It's time to overhaul all of our media. Start over fresh...that's what they say about obama...he's fresh.

February 26, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  21. CJ Iraq War Vet

I think Hillary just realized Obama is qualified to run!

February 26, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  22. Ryan

People saying the mean comments about her are ridiculous. I can understand if you dont vote for her but why do you hate her? The kind of negative comments I see are immature and really sort of personal. If you really want people to not vote for her attack her politically, and back it up with facts. I think the press is trying to be tender towards his race because its a very personal thing for blacks and whites. In an effort to not seem racist I believe they gave him a better depiction in many ways. Not saying he is always portrayed as good but her negative press is and has been for a while more intense and more frequent.

February 26, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  23. DrC

She was absolutely correct. If Oprah's pet project is advocating freedom, let the media get real and offer balanced perspectives and opportunities for each candidate. That is freedom – freedom to make an informed decision.

February 26, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  24. skd

ladies first.......i bet she would complain too if she never gopt the questions first and why doesnt she complain when obama pulls her the seat??

February 26, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  25. Elizabeth

wwwaaaaa! sniff~~~sniff~~~sniffle. Stop crying Hillary. What in the world would you do as President? Billll.... They're picking on me......

February 26, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |