February 26th, 2008

Dodd describes 'not comfortable' conversation with Clinton

CLEVELAND, Ohio (CNN) - Former presidential candidate and Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd endorsed the candidacy of Barack Obama today with a call for the party "to come together," warning Democrats were in "danger" of damaging the party with a divisive campaign.

At a Cleveland press conference with Obama, Dodd denied he was implying Sen. Hillary Clinton should drop out, but merely suggesting that both campaigns watch their tone over the next week leading up to the critical Ohio and Texas contests.

Dodd said he informed Clinton last night of his decision to endorse Obama, adding that it was "not a comfortable" discussion.

– CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley

Filed under: Chris Dodd
  1. Just a Citizen

Right, so... if Hillary loses, are all her devoted supporters going to accept another four (or god-forbid eight) years of a Republican calling the shots? I don't think that will happen in liberal states. People better not forget who has the majority in the House right now and if a Republican gets the nod, then absolutely nothing will get done to improve this country.

Stop acting like children. Temper tantrums won't solve anything.

February 26, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  2. LeftyLoosey

The Clintons should gracefully ride that donkey out of town now before we run them out of town strapped to it's back on March 4th..

February 26, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  3. Charles

If Hilary gets the nod, I will do something that I never done since I started voting, I will vote republican for president. I'm not thrilled with McCain but I think he would be a better alternative to Hilary.

February 26, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  4. Matt in Odessa

To Susan in Texas.: Your ignorance shows no bounds. Obama is half white so what's the big deal if they darkened the skin of an actor. It was nothing like the black-face of yesterday. Should a black actor haved played him and we whitened up his skin a bit? Or maybe a light skinned black? Let's keep talking race....

February 26, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  5. Mary

Go McCain!!!
    Just practicing for when Obama gets the nomination. This HRC supporter can't believe how everyone is jumping on a train with no foundation. For those of you who say HRC is dividing the democratic party, there are HRC supporters who believe BO is dividing the party. What he's running on his experience – 100 no present votes in the Illinois State Senate and this is the new and fresh face of politics. Sounds pretty old school to me.

February 26, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  6. Vic

Yeah, who is Chris Dodd?
    General Wesley Clark, presidential candidate, supports Hillary!
    Mention that CNN!!

February 26, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  7. concerned

Mr. Dodd couldn't get any support while trying to run for president. Who cares who he supports. His endorsement is from the old men's club. I thought Obama was for change. HA HA

Go Hilliary

February 26, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  8. mc

I'll never vote obama and I am avid democrat, I am tired of the media bullying up on hillary, I am tired of the Barack supporters; I will continue to fund Hillary – she won NY, CA and many large states; and will probably win TX and OH also.

The Barack supporters are dividers and they will take the ship down, it's hillary or McCain for me – A True wm liberal....

February 26, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  9. Timo Garcia

THE CLINTONS ARE DIVIDING THE PARTY???!?!! if it werent for the clintons, the democrats wouldnt even be relevant today.

but of course, you obama folk dont really care to think things through, do you?

February 26, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  10. JWAZ

The damage is done – my Democratic vote will never go to Barack (can I say his middle name?) Hussein Obama. It doesn't matter what Dodd – big endorsement by the way, HUGE – or any other obscure senator says. It started with "If you can't runs your own house, then you can't runs the White House", then went to the tactless Obama supporters who booed Clinton in New Hampshire – before she won the primary, then on to the personal insults all over the blogs. Really tactless. Forget it. You're on you own – and by the way – John Sidney McCain will fillet Obama in the general.

February 26, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  11. NW Bill

Mr. Dodd is seeing Hillary's behavior for what it is, divisive and fuel for the Republicans. Don't think that her recent rants will not be shown over and over by the right as they paint her as unstable and overly emotional. If anyone should be shameful, it's Hillary for her arrogant attacks on Obama. How can anyone support a woman who mocks the American desire for hope and change?

February 26, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  12. Upstate NY

HRC supports will NEVER vote for Obama and their voice will be loud and go down in history!!

February 26, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  13. Veronica

Attention All Democrats:

We will have a Republican in the White House named John McCain. Cindy McCain will be first lady and will showcase the White House Christmas tree in 2009. Republicans and Independents have tainted the Democratic Primary process and voted for the weaker and less qualified Barack Obama to knock Hillary Clinton out of the race. Once this process is completed, which it should be by March 4, these same cross-over voters will return to support John McCain and Barack Obama will carry 10 states if he's lucky. Wow, what a tactic... and Democrats were fooled by it and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. This one won't even be close in November and Ralph Nader will not help Obama one bit. I guess John Paul Stevens and Ruth Bader Ginsburg will be replaced by Scalia-Alito type Justices. Talk about political suicide by the Democrats.... lost 8 out of 11 presidential elections since 1968.

February 26, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  14. Keith

As a British citizen living in Canada, I started looking at this race as a Clinton supporter. The thing that annoys me about Hillary isn't Hillary, it is her supporters who are so narrow minded that they fail to see the positive energy being poured into the many states of the US by the Obama campaign, I switched pretty early on and I believe that the hopes and dreams of the US people can and will be fullfilled by a new face in Washington. I just hope that Hillary's supporters have the decency to vote for Obama IF he gets the nomination. Given the choice, I would Vote for Hillary over any Republican.
    Shame I can't vote though isn't it...

February 26, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  15. Souza

We all know BIG Corporations own the media and it looks like they will have their say in who is the President. They seem to want someone who has only 3 years experience as a Junior Senator. Obama has done NOTHING to date to support his claim to Change. Obama has never done anything on his own while serving in the Senate to be famous for. WHERE HAS THE CHANGE BEEN FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS AS A SENATOR. Break out the Koolaid for the Obama supporters.
    Dodd is a DUD who cares what he thinks

February 26, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  16. saidenuf

everybody being brain washed by the republican machine Obamo is an easy kill come this Nov

February 26, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  17. JT

I am glad to see that people in the states that have not voted yet do not matter and we should simply accept the will of the privileged few in the other states and annoit their candidate. Maybe Chris Dodd shoould let everyone vote and have a say before he asks us to unite behind a candidate.

February 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  18. Blaise

Wow its funny that the longer this goes on the more fanatical the Obamamaniacs get. Comments like its time for Hillary to set aside when the votes haven't even been cast yet. Kinda gives the impresion that the Obamanutjobs are scared. Hillary stepping aside will be handing the nomination to Obama and thats not right, if he wants this he'll have to earn it. He has yet to say ANYTHING to sway my vote, nobody sees this man for who and what he is. And who is this Dodd person any way? I've never heard of the guy, doesn't matter any way. Obama is going to have to work harder if he wants the win.

February 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  19. jp/michigan

First Dodd, then Richardson and then Edwards will back Obama. The democratic party at work. After all they need a token democratic president in the oval office. That's the only way the democratic agends will get through the White House. They don't want an intelligent women there. It's the good old boys club.

February 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  20. Miguel Gomez

Duh !! It's like riding a train to certain destination: One with all the sparkles, fireworks, new paint, new seats and the word CHANGE on front. The other one, no so new, no so shiny........but guess what? the old train driver does have a map of how to get there, the other one has no clue ... but at least it looks good to those with an IQ below 120. Go Hillary, HISPANICS, IF OBAMA WINS, LET'S VOTE 4 MCCAIN.

February 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  21. Dre Atlanta

American people are finding the true side of Hillary, I would not vote for Hillary if she win the nonimee she maken the Demoncrate party look bad I wish she would drop out. Everytime I turn tv on her picture is on the tv with negative remarks. American people want someone who can put our country together. Hillary is the type person would talk about nonsense government issue. I am so happy Dodd endorse obama watch and see more Demoncrate going to support Obama everyday you seeing someone leaving Hillary campaign and now they supporting Obama

February 26, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |