February 26th, 2008

Dodd describes 'not comfortable' conversation with Clinton

CLEVELAND, Ohio (CNN) - Former presidential candidate and Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd endorsed the candidacy of Barack Obama today with a call for the party "to come together," warning Democrats were in "danger" of damaging the party with a divisive campaign.

At a Cleveland press conference with Obama, Dodd denied he was implying Sen. Hillary Clinton should drop out, but merely suggesting that both campaigns watch their tone over the next week leading up to the critical Ohio and Texas contests.

Dodd said he informed Clinton last night of his decision to endorse Obama, adding that it was "not a comfortable" discussion.

– CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley

Filed under: Chris Dodd
  1. Jim Shimmer

Everyone is seeing the truth about Obama. People are not stupid or dumb to believe in this guy. He has a lot of foreign policy experience and more legislative experience than Hillary.

He is truly the one to beat McCain. Hillary is soo polarized and will lose the general election. Lets get Obama to win Texas and Ohio so he can focus on the general election. Hillary needs to chill. She is a mean lady who will go to any extent to win. She has really stooped low. I used to like her, not anymore, no way!

Obama '08!!

February 26, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  2. Ronald, American living abroad

I can't imagine someone telling HRC 'no' and it being uncomfortable! Did she shriek? Yell at Dodd to "meet her after school" so she could beat him up? Maybe Dodd is just making all this up . . . he's probably a plant for the Media. CNN, did you pay him to endorse Obama? LOL!

February 26, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  3. Jorge

HAHA I can imagine her.... "SHAME ON YOU CHRIS DODD"
    Please Hillary you are hurting the party!!! STEP DOWN NOW!!

February 26, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  4. Jean Alex

Thank you Mr. Dodd. It's time to Hillary to step aside, and give Democrats a chance to win the election in November.

CNN< please show my comments for ONCE!!!!

February 26, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  5. Darth Vadik, CA

Hillary has really turned creepy lately.

I have no idea who runs their campaign, but her campaign has turned into a sad creepy "thing" that resembles something hidden in Karl Rove's closet.

February 26, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  6. Susan in Texas

He's not the only one uncomfortable with Clinton.

And what the heck is with Saturday Night Live and its pro-Clinton, anti-Obama programming? And can we at least acknowledge the implied racism that SNL exhibited in making fun of Obama's heritage by having a white guy (with white ears and hands) in black face makeup?

February 26, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  7. Sylvia

Dodd,
    you are a pathetic coward willing to sell your soul and destroy your contry for a few minutes of "fame"
    How will you sleep tonight knowing what you did?

February 26, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  8. Russell

The Clintons should just ride off into the sunset.

February 26, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  9. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Dodd's endorsement of Obama should not have been a shock to Hillary. Hillary's constant attacks is something the democrat party does not need. If Hillary doesn't drop out, hopefully she will cool down for the sake of our party.

February 26, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  10. Hello!

This is just getting insane. Do I look to who's endorsed my candidiate to choose who I should vote for? No. I read, watch and research who I want to vote for, it is my right. This is just all just too stupid.

February 26, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  11. Brian

It comes as no surprise that Hillary would alienate a fellow senator during a phone call... and Sen. Dodd is a well respected fellow democrat! Anyone who claims she isn't divisive should take note of how she treats her political allies. Now tell me, you think she can get anything done as president working with republicans?!

I'm sure her supporters will complain that this is just more negative coverage. Well, this is all her own making!

Vote for change and the rebuilding of America, Texas, Ohio, Vermont and Rhode Island! Then we can all make it final together in November!

Obama '08!!!

February 26, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  12. Peter Canada Obama 08

Well done Dodd ,welldone!!

February 26, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  13. Patty Don't

Well i guess so can chalk Chris Dodd up as not mattering either, huh?

February 26, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  14. Tuesday

I bet she told him "shame on you" for not supporting me.....

February 26, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  15. Priscilla

Chris Dodd did the right thing in endorsing Barak Obama. Barak Obama can take America places that the Clintons can't possibly understand because the only politics they know is "dirty politics." Why don't Hillary just stop and listen as America reminds her and Bill of all the times they escaped prosecution for one thing or another. Shut up Hillary, you're a has been!!!

February 26, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  16. emmy

Talk of double speak........

February 26, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  17. E Fabian

Why are all of my comments being deleted???

The only reason must be because they are pro-Hillary and Anti-Obama.

My posts are not insulting or offensive. Why delete them?? This is getting tiresome and only fuels the allegations that CNN is biased towards Obama.

Also, Hillary Clinton has received a a lot of endoresments since last Tuesday, including congressman, a couple of newspapers and several army generals as well as 27 flag officers.

Why isn't this being reported by CNN but every single endorsement Obama gets makes headline.

I would respect CNN more if they just come out and endorse him already. This is beyond ridiculous and proves favoritism and sexism is alive and well. Shame on you.

Go Hillary

And I know this post will be deleted.

February 26, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  18. Charles

Another politician who doesn't have decency to stand up for their old friends. I can understand senate newcomers, but Dodd followed the path of AA community – to deny your old friends for the questionnable new benefits. Shame. I doubt though, that Dodd's endorsemnt will add anything besides his own superdelegate vote.

February 26, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  19. Dustin

What strikes me as more important than Dodd's endorsement, which I am rather happy about, is his call for unity. I have been concerned over the past few weeks with the tone the democrats are taking. Both Clinton and Obama supporters are at eachothers throats..this is tragic. We are all in this together. I don't like everything about Clinton, but I will support her...just like I hope Clinton supporters would do for Obama. This is no time to have the " I'm going home and taking my toys with me" attitude if our candidate does not win. We need a Dem in the White House...please people..remember that we all share similar beliefs...we must be united..as has been said beofr.."united we stand, divided we FALL"!

February 26, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  20. Joan

No surprise here:

The Clintons are bullies.

Good to see everyone tell them to shove it.

February 26, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  21. rael

I am glad you did what you had to do. Furthermore nobody is comfortable with the clintons right now with their tone of desperation over the weekend.

February 26, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  22. Waaaiit a minute

I would love to know why the discussion was not comfortable. Maybe Hillary pulled a "SHAME ON YOU" Chris Dodd. She seems to be all out these days.

February 26, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  23. HHH

Welcome...welcome...welcome.

Obama 08"

February 26, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  24. MBG

Great to hear that Dodd is cautioning both campaigns to watch their tone. Bravo!

February 26, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  25. Dems Divided

All the endorsements in the world are NOT going to unite this party. Despite the claims of the Obama supporters the split right now is close to 50-50 and Hillary supporters refuse to be brainwashed and strongarmed by the media into falling into line. This primary has been disgusting with hateful personal attacks on the Clintons.

Obama CANNOT win with only 50% of Democrats voting for him.

Anyone but Obama '08