February 26th, 2008

Dodd describes 'not comfortable' conversation with Clinton

CLEVELAND, Ohio (CNN) - Former presidential candidate and Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd endorsed the candidacy of Barack Obama today with a call for the party "to come together," warning Democrats were in "danger" of damaging the party with a divisive campaign.

At a Cleveland press conference with Obama, Dodd denied he was implying Sen. Hillary Clinton should drop out, but merely suggesting that both campaigns watch their tone over the next week leading up to the critical Ohio and Texas contests.

Dodd said he informed Clinton last night of his decision to endorse Obama, adding that it was "not a comfortable" discussion.

– CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley

Filed under: Chris Dodd
  1. BJE

It was on his road to Damascus the Dodd found Obama

Obama / Warren Steed Jeffs '08

February 26, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  2. mary

thanks to the slanted news we are getting, the democrates are in deep muddy waters...they have hyped obama to the point where we look like small minds afraid to question what really is beyond all the obvious of the net work???obama may suceed now but they will surely lose to the republicans in the general..obama and his wife will not be the ones that a great number of americans can feel represent them...the republicans will not be hesitant to ask all the questions you failed to ask and by then it will be too late.....let's see if you are balanced enough to print this side of the issue for a CHANGE!!!

February 26, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  3. John, Racine, WI

Being a TRAITOR to someone is NEVER a "Comfortable discussion."

I have lost all respect for you, Senator Dodd!

HILLARY FOREVER!

February 26, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  4. cc, Chicago

I'm an Obama supporter, and I do think Sen. Dodd's endorsement means something being that not only was he a presidential candidate, but also happens to be chairman of the senate foreign relations committee. It's a vote of confidence in Obama's foreign policy platform from an important member of the senate.

That being said, I don't think he should have said the conversation with Sen. Clinton was uncomfortable. That was unfair. He should have said he called her last night and left it at that.

February 26, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  5. alaji

I am sorry am nat a politician, but I don't believe "Shame on you" will bring Americans to ballot. like,Clinton and supporters like (E. Fabian) think.

February 26, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  6. Go Obama

Go Obama '08!!!!! America Unite!

February 26, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  7. Marina

Congratulations Barack Obama..........I'm very proud to call you my candidate!

February 26, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  8. Laura

Dodd is right, the tone of both campaigns is important. If you have paid attention, both campaigns have promoted negativity. The press have focused on Hillary. Hillary supporters are offended by all of the Hillary bashing. This shows a lack of respect for her supporters. Obama supporters complain about the negativitiy of the Clinton campaign, but perpetuate negativity with all of their hateful comments on so many of the blogs. This has no productive end in site because anyone who feels that all the Hillary supporters will automatically become Obama supporters, if he gets the nomination, are kidding themselves.

February 26, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  9. It's all politics

Yeah for Dodd! I can't wait until this is all over so we Democrats can come together united. I'm an Obama supporter. The divisiness between the two camps has to stop. Truth be told, they are very similar on policies and agree a lot with each other. Their similarities far outweigh the differences. Obama just has that "it" factor. I love how he is enlisting the American people to take an active role in their government. We want change. He wants to lead that change. He never said it'd be easy. He has said he will need our help. It is up to each of us to take responsibility and participate in making the change so many of us desperately want.

February 26, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  10. Dem08

I have read, each and everyone of the comments and I cannot believe how we Democrats are acting. Yes, I am for Obama, but that doesn't mean I will not support Clinton if she some how sneaks her way into becoming our Nominee. People need to quit spending so much time "hating" on the other democrat and save it for the General Election when we need to beat McCain. And for the folks who actually believe that McCain would be better than Obama, you were never a true democrat in the first place. If you were, you would know that there are very real differences between the two parties, it's not about who "seems" better. It's about someone who shares your beliefs and has the same committments. That person is Obama. Yes Clinton is a great lady and I think she has great ideas, but like everyone says, she is very polarizing. We will have the same politics as usual if she is our President.

February 26, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  11. Laurence "Keeping it real"

Lots of people are showing just how prejudice they are. Bill Cunningham speaking at a John McCain rally sounds like someone who we don't want to have a gun in his hand. The Clinton campaign with Hillary leading the way is beginning to sound alot like the Limbaugh's and other rigthwing pundits advancing this type of rhetoric. It is shameful and detestable to say the least. Thank you Chris Dodd for your candor and wisdom. After tonight's debate I am sure that the country will relize that any further backing of Hillary Clinton in this nomination process is futile and in showing of less then sound judgment. In stead of landing safely and gracefully, Hillary Clinton is opting for a crash and burn disgraceful return to earth. What a shame, what a shame.

February 26, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  12. francis

Hilary Clinton has lost the plot and she is becoming an embarressment to herself and her party. She is breaking up in front of our eyes. Bill, do her favour and whisper " it's all over, honey" in her ear.

February 26, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  13. laura

NO Jacquie! Hillary as Sec. of State? Too divisive...

The "dream team" cabinet for the next Pres (Obama)

Biden – Sec. of State
    Dodd – Sec. of Treasury
    Clinton – Sec. of Health & Human Svcs.
    Richardson – Sec. of Education
    Gore – Sec. of Energy
    Edwards – Atty. General

February 26, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  14. david

I hope you Obama supporters like McCain, because if he wins the nomination that is who your next president is going to be.

The press and Repubs (synonymous) are salivating to get there hands on him if they can. There's no trash to be found on Clinton. It's already been hashed over a 1,000 times and they know it.

I've never voted Republican. But I will ( or write in Hillary) if this inept person is nominated for the democrats.

February 26, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  15. JC

I second what Dems Divided says...Obama thinks he's going to get all of Hillary's voters if/when he wins the nom, but it's highly unlikely that will happen. There's too much at stake to be fooled by his rhetoric. It's not a matter of "taking your toys and goign home", it;s a mater of gettting the right person in the white house, and I'm afraid that is not Obama. He scare me more than McCain, and this is one Democrat who will do what's right come Nov, and not vote along party lines.

February 26, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  16. Midwestern Gal in the South

I don't think any call you made to someone saying "I'm gonna go with the other guy" would be comfortable. Though I prefer Obama, I don't think that necessarily means Hillary flew off the handle.

February 26, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  17. lugina

One more loser for OBAMA!!!!

February 26, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  18. voter in akr

Are you kidding me? Hillary or McCain?...

Hillary may as well run on the republican ticket next time... after reading many of the divisive posts, and seeing so many Hillary supporters stomping their feet saying they'd rather vote republican, I believe she just might win.

Why do ya'll claim democrat anyway?

February 26, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  19. LeftyLadig

Thank you Chris Dodd, for recognizing the "fierce urgency of now". Until the recent negativity by the Clinton campaign, I would have voted for her if she won the nomination, even though I support Obama. I am pretty sure that I am not the only 61 year old white feminist who would love to see a woman president. But Hillary is not the one. This country needs Barack Obama and we need him now.

February 26, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  20. Chiela

What is the big deal? So what! Dodd will not make a differance in this campaign. CNN is so against Hillary and it is very obvious. Why don't you just endorse Mr. Obama yourselves so all of your viewers can choose.

In case all of you forgot, the Clinton years were good. I will feel very comfortable with Hillary in the White House, no supprises there. She is strong and she is a fighter. She is the only one who went to the Iron Man's conference. She of all was the one who could not take the time out of her busy campaign to go , but "she did" and yes she will!

February 26, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  21. Viktoriya

Dear Candy Crowley,
    Was it worth reporting?
    You didn’t report any endorsements Hillary get but this phone call is really important news.

February 26, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  22. ho tc

Chris Dodd is such a loser; perhaps, Obama promised to offer him a position of VP or something.

February 26, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  23. Marina

I'm a white, 48 yr. old, single mom of two and I wouldn't think of voting for Hillary Clinton. It may be historic for a female president and all that, but its more important that we have someone with integrity, wisdom beyond his years, a sound stance on Constitutional rights and the legal system, and a leader. Thats what I see in Barack Obama.

February 26, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  24. kevin

It seems that everyone forgets there was no evidence of Al Queda in Iraq until after saddam was deposed. He would not have allowed a shadow movement in his country. He would have crushed them like toothpicks. and why do my blogs always say..awaiting moderation?

February 26, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  25. sarah

Well dodd your concern is a little to late obamas sleazy campaign tactics and lies along with his evil little supporters have alienated many of us Hillary supporters who will never vote for him in the General Election. And your silence in the trashing of Hillary by the media says the Democrats are weak, I won't back that.

February 26, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |