February 26th, 2008

Dodd describes 'not comfortable' conversation with Clinton

CLEVELAND, Ohio (CNN) - Former presidential candidate and Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd endorsed the candidacy of Barack Obama today with a call for the party "to come together," warning Democrats were in "danger" of damaging the party with a divisive campaign.

At a Cleveland press conference with Obama, Dodd denied he was implying Sen. Hillary Clinton should drop out, but merely suggesting that both campaigns watch their tone over the next week leading up to the critical Ohio and Texas contests.

Dodd said he informed Clinton last night of his decision to endorse Obama, adding that it was "not a comfortable" discussion.

– CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley

Filed under: Chris Dodd
  1. The Patriot

Hey RT.........you are kidding right, the venom isn't coming from those of us that actually pay attention to foreign policy and domestic issues and support Hillary, they are coming from the Obama supporters that cannot even state ONE thing he has accomplished that would make him a better President than Hillary.

What a joke you Obama supporters have become!

February 26, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. Amy, Kazoo

I have to say, just strictly as a democrat, if BOTH sets of supporters- clinton and obama- don't knock off the condescension and just downright hateful comments to one another, I may just go find myself another party. This is absolutely absurd. WE ARE ON THE SAME SIDE. it's pretty sickening what one can come on and read in these blogs on a daily basis. Republicans must be having a good laugh because we're doing all their dirty work for them. way to go, brainiacs.

February 26, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  3. Lee

Just one more try to see if my comment will be deleted again just because I support Hillary. I'll post all my comments somewhere else then. People here can praise Obama or anybody except Hillary... is this a free speech country?

February 26, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  4. Holly

Hilly aka Flip Flop

copy O.W on this one.

February 26, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  5. Bill

I have never seen such biased opinions in all my years of watching the election process. There are more negative comments made by the press on Hillary, mainly CNN. I agree with E Fabian, why doesn't CNN just don't come on out and endorse Obama, You have been his best supporter. In my opinion, the lady is very well qualified for
    the job of President of our country, a country I have always been proud of . Hillary is a hard worker for our country, always has been and always will be. She can get things done. If Obama gets elected President, get ready, you can bet there will be a lot of changes. Words does mean something, they mean you better be able to deliver on day one. As the saying goes, be careful of what you ask for you just may get it. Voters were inspired with the words and promises of our current President and you see where our country is now. I expect that my comment will be deleted also.
    Go Hillary!!! You have my vote and my full support.

February 26, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  6. Maria

If Obama wins, it truly will be an OBAMA-NATION! I just don't see what people see in Obama! And I hate that if I don't like Obama, I must be a racist! I support Hillary and I am an Hispanic Woman with a graduate degree unlike most polls indicating that college educated people tend to go for Obama.... I can not stand the media! I will NOT vote for him and am very happy the Nader has stepped in!

February 26, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  7. Bob

"Cascadian: A lanky lawyer from Illinois who had served just one two-year term in the U.S. House of Representatives and had no other government experience in elective of executive office ran for president in 1860."

Exactly – And that great President was actually a self taught lawyer.

Go figure

February 26, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  8. Brandon

When you read "If Obama wins I vote McCain" just look to the left and see the name of the female that posted it.

Just an observation. I can understand why women are so upset to see their first true hope of a woman president slip away before their eyes, when just a few months ago it was a given that there would be a woman pres candidate. For this they get my sympathies.

I truly hope that once the dissappointment subsides (I too would be depressed if Obama lost at this point) they can watch a McCain / Obama debate without bias and vote for the one who reflects their values. If you were a true Clinton supporter that answer would have to be Obama.

February 26, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  9. Jen

step on her toes get squished like a bug.. displease her feel her wrath! Go figure! She needs to do something like drop out before she yet causes another disaster to her profolio of experience.

February 26, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  10. Jack

Dodd endorsing Obama isn't exactly the strong endorsement that Ohio and Texas voters were looking for.

I don't see too many Cleveland residents saying, "Oh, Chris Dodd is now for Obama?? Well then, so am I!"

It's a better endorsement for Rhode Island, and possibly Vermont, where Chris Dodd is more well-known, but Hillary has a huge lead in Rhode Island while Obama has a big lead in Vermont, so the endorsement may not have time to turn those polls around with a week to go.

February 26, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  11. YOU NEED TO KNOW

TO ERICA and all the others with questions regarding Trinity United Church of Christ.

I attend TUCC and have been doing so for the past two years. My wife is a long time member of the church.

Yes the Church is 99% African American, but it is a member of a larger denomination that is majority white.

The Church is not racist, as you say Erica. It is pro African American, there is nothing racist about that. Is that what we call racist when you try to lift up your own. Yes we have problems within the African American community and we know it, can't we try and uplift our own people without this being perceived as being racist?

The congregation of TUCC is made up of Doctors, Lawyers, Judges, Successfull business people, Educators and all the others who just want a better life for themselves and their children, through positive encouragement and awareness of their ancestors and the factual history of how we have come up from slavery to trying to achieve something as impossible of being President of a country that not too long ago would hang you if you even knew how to read and write.

And just like the forefathers of this country did by setting up a separation of church and state, we should take this example and separate this Presidental campaign from ones church. Thank you.

February 26, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  12. Cali Male 4 Hillary

If Hillary Clinton does not win the nomination, I will not vote for McCain. REPUBLICANS do not derve a Democrat's vote.

Obama does NOT deserve THIS Democrat's vote. My vote will go to Hillary Clinton regardless, I will WRITE HER NAME IN.

February 26, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  13. Saleem

For someone calling for unity, he shouldn't mention that it was an uncomfortable conversation. Now all are left to speculate, and in the process create more devision. Just look at the previous comments. Not very smart Sen. Dodd.

February 26, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  14. John - Spokane, WA

Hey, if it wasn't a comfortable decision then why did he do it ? I wonder what Political favor was promised in this deal ? Dodd's no big help anyway – He brings NOTHING to the table.

February 26, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  15. Kay

I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR OBAMA

February 26, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  16. Ravi

I commend Chris Dodd for facing up to the Clinton machine and endorsing Barack Obama. It would be an insult to suggest that John McCain and the Republican Party would stoop as low as Hillary Clinton has in her low-ball, dirty-politics negative campaign against Barack Obama. I don't see how her tactics are helping to promote her candidacy.

She should do the Democratic Party a huge favor and step down to avoid a tricky situation at the upcoming Convention. That being said, her behavior and tactics to date are evidence that she will happily sacrifice the integrity of the Democratic Party in her bid for the White House.

February 26, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  17. Matt

Susan in Texas:

Fred Armisen who played Obama on SNL is NOT in fact white. He is both Hispanic and Japanese American. Obama on the other hand is white, at least half white on his mother's side. Not that any of that matters of course.

You obviously missed the whole point of what SNL was saying which was the fact that the media has a love affair going on with Obama and has since his win in Iowa. Every major network, CNN included and one of the worst offenders in my opinion, has gone out of their way to lift him up while simultaneously downplaying Hillary's achievements along the way.

Tina Fey's (admittedly) pro-Hillary segment on Weekend Update (not real news by the way) was merely a reaction the rampant pro-Obama movement in the rela media. And even if SNL is pro-Clinton, who cares? It's one thing for the fake news to push a candidate. It's quite another thing when real news outlets like CNN and NBC push a decidedly pro-Obama agenda. They are supposed to be unbiased.

February 26, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  18. Illinois 2

Give me a break, Obama talks about what HE did in Illinois, I really believe he was only one of those that voted yes or no on some of the bills that were up to vote , Oh yes he also voted PRESENT!!!!!

If he gets in the White House look out or should I say watch your wallet....

February 26, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  19. Sean, Detroit MI

"not a comfortable" discussion. Translation: She cried, screamed at him, and ridiculed and belittled him for not choosing her."

February 26, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  20. MZM

I'm so sick of the term "experience" being thrown around in every conversation. As someone else here had mentioned too, there is no experience that could really prepare you for being a president and running a country as vast as ours...except being a president. It's interesting how Hillary takes credit for every positive policy that came out of the Clinton administration...and denies the bad ones! Given that Hillary has a few years more experience in the senate, but she's an extremely divisive figure and he nomination would rally the conservatives, and independent voters around McCain....so it's either Obama or McCain...I hope that all democrats come to their senses and support the democrat that has a real chance of winning in November.

February 26, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  21. Las Mascaras de la Nada

OK, so another long-time denizen of insider Washington endorses Obamapalooza...where is the change? I will NEVER support Barry Obama – he is a myth.

February 26, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  22. Richard

Dodd ??? Oh I remember that looser!
    Obama or is it Osama ? No difference!

Go Hillary!

February 26, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  23. Dave F

"A lanky lawyer from Illinois who had served just one two-year term in the U.S. House of Representatives and had no other government experience in elective of executive office ran for president in 1860." That's true, and just look what happened to the country during that presidency. A civil war? Think about it, people. Kennedy? Bay of Pigs? Cuban missile crisis? I have a feeling these things wouldn't have happened to someone with experience.

February 26, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  24. ILoveAmerica

And we can now predict with great confidence that the first woman to become President of the United States of America will be... (drum roll...)

Kathleen Sebelius!

February 26, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  25. joli

I heard the Farrakhan endorsement of Obama was probably more uncomfortable... Oh im sorry only the positive endorsements make the Obama ntwk... I mean CNN.

February 26, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |