February 26th, 2008

Dodd describes 'not comfortable' conversation with Clinton

CLEVELAND, Ohio (CNN) - Former presidential candidate and Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd endorsed the candidacy of Barack Obama today with a call for the party "to come together," warning Democrats were in "danger" of damaging the party with a divisive campaign.

At a Cleveland press conference with Obama, Dodd denied he was implying Sen. Hillary Clinton should drop out, but merely suggesting that both campaigns watch their tone over the next week leading up to the critical Ohio and Texas contests.

Dodd said he informed Clinton last night of his decision to endorse Obama, adding that it was "not a comfortable" discussion.

– CNN Senior Political Correspondent Candy Crowley

Filed under: Chris Dodd
  1. Angela

Endorsements are great but I think the voters will determine the outcome of this race. Obama is ahead by a very small margin overall so it's still a very tight race. Despite the all the media bias and underhanded tactics by the Obama's camp she's still in the race and can still win even though it'll be an uphill battle all the way to the end. I just hope she's got the stamina.

Cnn, I see you are getting more fair in your postings and I applaud your efforts. Thank you for that.

Go Hillary 08!!!

February 26, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  2. Kevin Knight

It is too bad that Hillary seems to be sinking so quickly. I was really hoping that it would wait until the general election so that the strong Republican candidate John McCain might win the White House and keep the conservative leash on this country.

February 26, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  3. Victor Soria

Who is this Mr. Dodd? His endorsement will translate in JUST WORDS and no VOTES

HILLARY LOS LATINOS ESTAMOS CONTIGO!
    HILLARY THE LATINO COMMUNITY IS WITH YOU!

Hillary for President!

February 26, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  4. Geez

I don't think Obama is qualified to run a lemonade stand... The Democratic voters seem to get more simple-minded every year.

February 26, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  5. Theresa

It will be an interesting 4 years if Obama gets to the White House. CNN will be kept busy trying to report all of Obama's shortcomings just like they are super busy now trying to sway voters towards the Obama camp. I wonder how they will sleep at night when the mistakes are realized.
    Hillary 08
    Shame on you CNN...for every Clinton story there are at least 3 for Obama.... The most watched news channel should not be as biased as you.
    This is very clear from an outsider viewpoint...I am Canadain with no vested interest in this election. CNN has all but endorsed Obama.

February 26, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  6. DJ

I am getting tierd listening to Clinton, she will give herself a heart attack. Obama needs to just focus on the campaign and keep quite, he does not want to go down to her level.

Just step aside clinton u are pathetic, just go cry a river and get on with ur life. You are destroying the party and i am quite frankly getting bored just listening to the lies and the kindergarden stuff.

Obama 08

February 26, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  7. spirit of america

Obama vs. Clinton is a mini-version of racism vs. sexism. Which is stronger in the USA today? In the correct answer lies the identity of the next President. This election is a referendum on American prejudices. Unfortunately, prejudice will win (again) and another white man will occupy the White House. But not John. It will be Mike, the one from NYC.

February 26, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  8. Down Here on Earth

Let us have a discussion about Obama's vast Foreign Policy experience............

Please fill in if I missed something.

February 26, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  9. JUDY

NOT A BIG DEAL. THE CHANGE CANIDATE GETTING ALL THE OLD MEMBERS IN THE SENATE. DOES NOT SOUND LIKE CHANGE. TRUE CHANGE WOULD BE TO KICK ALL THE OLD POLITICIANS OUT AND SEND THIS COUNTRY IN A NEW DIRECTION.MARK MY WORDS THERE WILL BE NO CHANGE JUST A PUPPET ON A LONG LIST OF OLD STYLE DEMOCRATS.

February 26, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  10. hrjon

Hilarys' recient mood swings have given me pause, and wonderment, at how she would react in in a highly, sinsitive enviorment in world politics. Her actions also gives me a clue about her being presidentual , and ready to lead on day one. Maybe an anger managment coarse would help her. You scare me Hilary.
    HRJON

February 26, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  11. regina

too late for Obama folks to ask the Hillary supporters to come aboard the Obama wagon, he tore the party apart already, he should of reminded himself of the speech he gave when he first arrived at the Senate, that it was too soon to run for President b/c he need to get the experience. He is staffed by a bunch of losersssss, Kennedy, Kerry, Dachsle, and Dodd, he doesn't have the support of any Winners.

February 26, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  12. Anna Bedenbaugh

OK everyone since it's such an honorable thing to do let's all turn our backs on our old friends. Come on let's do it it's seems real comfortable.

February 26, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  13. Vince Los Angeles, CA

JJ February 26th, 2008 12:07 pm ET

Just like many democrats who have come up to me, if Obama is the democrat nominee; my vote will go for McCain… Sorry, but I do not want to vote for another Bush-like (empty promises, and ideas without subtances)

If you vote for McCain, then you vote for George Bush...it's that simple. I'm not surprised you would take this position...you probably were one of those people responsible for GWB being elected to office......twice....

February 26, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  14. Ray - NJ

Jabari – IF WE dont complain about CNN on CNN then this will truely look like a pro-Obama site. Like it matters anyway. They only post pro-Obama comments anyway!!

There are MANY negitve storys about Obama, Its just the media dosen't want to bring them up. Try doing some reserch on your darling Obama.

February 26, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  15. ML

maybe he felt he betrayed her?

February 26, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  16. MR. B.

America Is Ready
    Obama 08

February 26, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  17. Interesting

Something I would love to know, now that more people had a change to get to know Obama better, & Clinton has pulled some interesting tactics:

Would Clinton still have won states like California & Nevada?

I'm sure a good 25-50% of those votes would evaporate if those primaries were run now.

February 26, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  18. Lisa

RIGHT,
    LET'S SEE IF DODD HOLDS HIS TEMPER WHEN HE LOOSES HIS SEAT.

February 26, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  19. Paul Naranjo

Hillary,
    True democrats will vote for you. The media has been extremely biased against your campaign, but it has not stopped you from showing the facts.
    You will succeed and the economy will improve. Senior Citizens, women and the Latino community are standing by your side in the real world. We do not buy the fairytales of Obama.

No nos comemos los cuentos de hadas de Obama y estamos contigo Hillary.

Hillary- President of the Unted States of America

February 26, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  20. Lisa

WHOOOOOOOOOOO,
    I ALMOST FEEL A REPUBLICAIN SWEEP OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF YEARS!!!!!

February 26, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  21. OGB

"Obama is no different from George Bush... the media made Bush pretty to everyone so now look what happened ...The Clintons have a very scandalous record of service , and I'm pretty sure everyone hates it including me, But at this times, where most countries hate us, I think the experience factor is not a good choice for everyone. and forget about the who endorses who. This election is all about us the people.

I wander what will happen if Hillary wins next weeks primary...
    Im pretty sure everyone will shut up...

February 26, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  22. Janice M. Magona

I am very pleased and proud of Senator Dodd's decision to endorse Obama. If we examine the list of U.S. Congressional, state and local endorsements, one sees a veteran group of law makers. Coupled with seasoned people in the private sector and the diversity of the
    American populous, we can change America and restore our standing and integrity in the world community. Hillary Clinton must decide if she will be part of the solution or part of the problem. I hope her ultimate decision is in the vested interest of America.

February 26, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  23. Sarah

Adios, Clinton. Buy an RV and retire. Take Bill with you.

February 26, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  24. sharon sullivan

What is going on here? Chris Dodd and Hillary are close friends. Have they all gone nuts? It must be the lets all jump on the bandwagon to get cabinet positions or other prestiges jobs. This kind of flip flopping makes me want to leave the dem. party and vote for McCain which I won't of course. Obama is just a talker not a doer.

Wake up people

February 26, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  25. Chris N

I am so happy for the party that these fake democrats or bigots who insist on voting Republican if either Obama or Clinton wins the nomination are very very few and far between. In fact, my research shows that it has always been the same people. If actually these people are democrats, they should be identified and dismissed from the NDP. This party can do without such foulers. They show go to the Republican Party where they naturally belong.

February 26, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |