February 26th, 2008

Richardson: Endorsement could come 'within days'

CNN

Watch Richardson on The Situation Room Tuesday.

(CNN) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson Tuesday suggested he may endorse a former rival in the Democratic White House race sometime this week.

In an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer set to air at 6 p.m. hour of The Situation Room, Richardson praised both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, and suggested now might be the right time he publicly backs one of them.

"I may make a decision and do an endorsement," Richardson said.

Asked if the endorsement could come within the next couple of days, the New Mexico governor replied, "Possibly, yes."

Richardson, a former member of the Clinton administration, wouldn't hint at which candidate he was leaning towards, and said it's still possible he may make no endorsement.

"I'm just not trying to be cute. I just have felt that an endorsement by me, I don't think it is that significant," he said. "But I still might do it."

Both Clinton and Obama have heavily sought Richardson's backing since he dropped out of the race in January. Richardson, one of the highest ranking Hispanics in the Democratic Party, could give either candidate a boost in the Latino community ahead of Texas' primary on March 4. Latinos are expected to play a big role in that contest.

In the interview Tuesday, Richardson praised both candidates, and said the two are running a "classic race."

"Change versus experience," Richardson said of the race. "And obviously I ran on the experience mantle. It didn't work out too well. But I think they are both exceptional candidates, represent fundamental change. I think it is going to be very, very close. I don't think this race is over."

Watch the full interview with Richardson tonight on The Situation Room, 6 p.m. ET.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Lolly

If you endorse Obama, you won't see any changes after eight years so your endorsement will not fruitful

February 26, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  2. viktor

Mr Bill

it is evident from these comments that the people in your state are asking you to endorse Hillary...they sound pretty serious about it, so i hope you do the right thing and help her become the president she DESERVES TO BE...or you go and follow the trend, as many have mentioned as well...again thank you CNN for the "best political teams on TV" ...if only you were bit more objective...kuddos to SNL

HILLARY 08

CNN...POST THIS COMMENT ALREADY!!!

February 26, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  3. Deb IL

Come on Bill, we are counting on you. Endorse the BEST candidate, not the most popular one....endorse HILLARY. Your opinion counts for more than Chris Dodd who is just another Kennedy groupie.

February 26, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. clinton2008

Clinton 2008 !

February 26, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  5. THE RED MAN

MICHEAL I'M FROM THE SHOW ME STATE AND OBAMA HAS NOT SHOWED ME ANY DETAILS.
    IF HE HAD I MAY HAVE CONSIDERED HIS RUN BUT WORDS DONT PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE.
    AND LIKE IT OR NOT WE ARE IN TWO WARS, AS A MILLITERY MAN
    I LOOK FOR SUBSTANCE.
    IN MY OWN OPPINION I DON'T FEEL HE'S QUALIFED.
    RESPECT TO YOUR OPPION, JUST THINK ALOT OF YOU WILL GET YOUR BUBBLE BUSTED EVEN IF THE MAN WIN THE WHOLE KIT AND CABUTTO.
    I HAVE RESPECT FOR EVERY HUMAN BEING. GOD BE WITH YOU.
    AND USE ME TO VENT YOUR FRUSTERATION ON ANY TIME.
    I SERVED THIS GREAT NATION HONORABLY AND AM GLAD TO
    SERVE AS YOUR POKEING BOARD .
    WITH RESPECT TO ALL WHO DISAGREE.
    AND ONE OTHER THING,
    I MIGHT BE A LITTLE MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE THAN YOU GIVE THE HUMAN RACE.CREDIT FOR

CNN, YOU NEED TO BE FAIR AND POST THIS SINCE YOU POSTED SO MANY SLAMS ON ME.

February 26, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  6. Golden Chica

Mr. Richardson as a person who has been in politics as long as you have you know first hand that experience does matter and therefore your vote should be for Hillary Clinton. This country can't have a candidate who needs on the job training. There's too much at stake at this time to choose someone like Obama. Maybe in four or eight years Obama can try again. So Mr. Richardson do the country a favor and stop the Obama madness and hurry up and endorse Hillary Clinton.

February 26, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  7. Gaby

js I have to agree with you, if a senator or representative is going to take a stand then they should do so, without worrying about their political agenda, but the real issues at stake., this country and its people.

February 26, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  8. pboudin@tescor-inc.com

Gov. Richardson is a very intelligent guy and I think he senses that the media is starting to turn on Obama (as they always turn on the favorite...in sports, in politics, in entertainment..it's the churn factor..always got to have a new story, a new angle). Bill will endorse Hillary who will go on to win Texas and he will be championed as a visonary who saw the tide turning before anyone else.

Peggy B.

February 26, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  9. THE OPINIONATOR

I'd be surprised if he doesn't go Hillary.

February 26, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  10. TOM

I hate the useless words that Barack Hussein Obama always says. I support Hillary.

Barack is a half-baked visionary.
    His point is just the following:
    "America needs change. I will change it! America needs hope! I have hope! I have hope and will change things! Change is what I am going to do! And with hope you can do anything! Like change things! Things that need to be changed! Like those things here in America that need to be changed! And I will change them! With hope things will change! Change starts here but it won't end here, for the future will be changed by our hope! Changed in a way that people will see that the change is better due to the hope we all possess here today. I know change, you know change, we will bring change to the White House with the help of your hope! Things will change!"

Hillary is a doer, not a talker.

February 26, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  11. Hy Weiner

Why hasn't Hillary Clinton or any of the media asked Senator
    Obama

"What is it that I and the other representavises in Congress
    didn't know that you knew to cause you to vote against the war in Iraq;since the evidence presented to us albeit it turned out to be lies
    and distortions would lead anyone concerned with our national security to support the President"

February 26, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  12. Bill Jay

Hillary for President period.

February 26, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. Gaby

Edwards is taking to long with his endorsement as well. He nor Richardson's endorsement will matter, are they holding out for V.P. I think not, there is someone better qualified, like Dodd, who had the guts to take a stand.

OBAMA 08

February 26, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  14. nigeriagirl

Clinton, I feel for you but my vote goes to Obama

February 26, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  15. D

I hope he signs on with Senator Obama . He said it might not help but he still might do it. That sounds like an upcoming supporter for The Clintons.

February 26, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |