February 26th, 2008

Richardson: Endorsement could come 'within days'

CNN

Watch Richardson on The Situation Room Tuesday.

(CNN) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson Tuesday suggested he may endorse a former rival in the Democratic White House race sometime this week.

In an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer set to air at 6 p.m. hour of The Situation Room, Richardson praised both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, and suggested now might be the right time he publicly backs one of them.

"I may make a decision and do an endorsement," Richardson said.

Asked if the endorsement could come within the next couple of days, the New Mexico governor replied, "Possibly, yes."

Richardson, a former member of the Clinton administration, wouldn't hint at which candidate he was leaning towards, and said it's still possible he may make no endorsement.

"I'm just not trying to be cute. I just have felt that an endorsement by me, I don't think it is that significant," he said. "But I still might do it."

Both Clinton and Obama have heavily sought Richardson's backing since he dropped out of the race in January. Richardson, one of the highest ranking Hispanics in the Democratic Party, could give either candidate a boost in the Latino community ahead of Texas' primary on March 4. Latinos are expected to play a big role in that contest.

In the interview Tuesday, Richardson praised both candidates, and said the two are running a "classic race."

"Change versus experience," Richardson said of the race. "And obviously I ran on the experience mantle. It didn't work out too well. But I think they are both exceptional candidates, represent fundamental change. I think it is going to be very, very close. I don't think this race is over."

Watch the full interview with Richardson tonight on The Situation Room, 6 p.m. ET.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. California Independent

Hint, hint.... Change versus experienc... experience doesn't work.

come in to the light, come in to the liiiiiiiight...... your broken soul will be healed.

February 26, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  2. Jorge

Good he is finally going to endorse Barack Obama!!!!!!!
    I know you will do the right thing Bill !!

February 26, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  3. Kelley

Hey Richardson look at the past. THe latest negative innuendos of BO are just like the ones that Hillary said about Gahndi. Remeber when she said he ran a gas station. She truly regretted saying that and meant it only as a joke. Google it ! I believe she is truly racist against anyone that is not aCLINTON

February 26, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  4. Matthew

I'm sure if the Obama camp has anything to do with they'll pay him for an endorsement to. It worked great with Ted Kennedy. I'm sure Oprama will inspire us with another speech that he stole.

February 26, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  5. bp

How long has Richardson been toying with an endorsement? This back-and-forth "maybe I will, maybe I won't" does nothing.

February 26, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  6. John Smith

He's a coward. His endorsement should have come weeks ago.
    He's gonna jump on the Obama bandwagon because its moving in his direction. A man of real courage would have made an endorsement weeks ago.

February 26, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  7. Kyle Indianapolis, Indiana

Make an edorsement and make it soon!

February 26, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  8. Nancy

I'm fairly certain he will endorse Obama. If it wasn't for the personal ties to the Clinton's, he would have done it earlier. If he wanted to endorse the Clintons, he would feel no pressure to be sensitive to Obama.

Why does CNN only care about the men who make endorsements? I think that CNN's bias toward Obama has as much to do with gender.

Women Unite, Hillary!

February 26, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  9. Paul Naranjo

Governor Richardson
    Latinos are stron supporters of Senator Clinton. We look forward to hear from you.
    Estamos con Hillary

Hillary for President
    Hillary President ' cause experience matters more than "just words..."

February 26, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  10. J.C.T.

RICHARDSON SHOULD ENDORSE HILARY CLINTON .OTHERWISE HE WILL BE FIRED AS GOVERNOR BY THE LATINOS IN NEW MEXICO.

February 26, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  11. THE RED MAN

BILL, YOUR NOT BUYING INTO OBAMA MANIA I HOPE.
    THIS COUNTRY IS LONG AND I MEAN LONG OVER DUE FOR A WOMAN PRESIDENT.
    I'LL VOTE FOR A WOMAN OR I'LL CAST A BALLOT FOR THE WAR HERO. IT'S UP TO THE DEMOCRATS WHO THIS INDEPENDENT VOTES FOR.

MISSOURI

February 26, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  12. Tyler in Raleigh

Why doesnt he wait until March the 5th... when it will be completely useless.

Why do these politicians need to keep in the limelight by any means necessary. Stop being coy and trying to get another 15 minutes. Either endorse someone or not, but move on.

February 26, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  13. Charles

Richardson would an excellant VP for either candidate. He has the temperment and the experience to really compliment Obama and the quiet reserve to balance out Hillary and her co-President Bill. He puts the southwest and Colorado in play. He forces the GOP to spend money to defend Texas and other states with huge Latino populations that the GOP normally count on, especially Florida. If he's smart he won't endorse anyone and keep his options open by the time the convention rolls around.

February 26, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  14. Long-term Memory

At least Richardson's endorsement of either candidate will mean more than Dodd's, whose affiliation with Arthur Andersen and Enron should be cause for concern for Barak Obama, especially as Texans get ready to vote.

February 26, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  15. PDC

Better Hearing & Speech Month.

The Hillary experience at it's best!

February 26, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  16. Chicano Art

Gov. Richardson often fought at debates that experience should be seen as a positive. He did not feel that somebody with vast experience should be looked at with disdain. Many of his views have been adopted by Hillary and Osama, such as investment in alternative energies as a way to boost the economy.
    Gov. Richardson has said in the past he feels he represents Chicanos, and they have voted for Hillary in the Past. I believe that Gov. Richardson will support Hillary Clinton.
    Viva Clinton.

February 26, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  17. Dave

Change vs. experienced. I choose experience because it is less risk.

February 26, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  18. RSP

I would hope that Governor Richardson sides with his fellow Hispanics and votes for the strong woman candidate, Senator Clinton. Hispanics carried California for Senator Clinton. They are not afraid of a strong woman, and can see through all the "hype" of the Obama campaign.

For the strength of the Democratic Party in November, Governor Richardson needs to remember this...

All it takes to make Americans change their support from Obama to McCain is a kernel of fear, fear that Obama doesn't have experience to tackle the worlds' problems.

The Obama campaign is "faith-based", which is suprising, since most Democrats chide the Republican right of making decisions based on faith. Because the adoration Obama supporters is not based on logic, but on "hope" it will not stand up to criticism by the Republicans, or anyone with facts concerning Obama's record or past decisions.

February 26, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  19. Al in Wpg

"I don't think this race is over"

there's your answer.

February 26, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  20. jm

Please for the sake of the country endorse Hillary

February 26, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  21. June

How is this race close with Obama having a 150 pledged delegate lead? Clinton must blow him out in the coming states to catch up. She has yet to do so, save Arkansas, which is due to Bill Clinton, not her. I know, I know, if she can cheat with MI and FL, and browbeat superdelegates then you never know.

I do wish that whoever is going to endorse would just do it already -whether it be for Obama or Clinton. Edwards, you listening?! Then we can stay focused on the issues.

February 26, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  22. Victoria

Ohhhhhhhh my goodness,

Buy a RAZOR. Bill ! ! !

It's hard to take you serious in that HORRIBLE excuse for a BEARD!

As a resident of your state........PLEASE, PLEASE SHAVE!

February 26, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  23. Jenny, Rio Vista, CA

After Richardson dropped out of the race he said in an interview that politicians shouldn't be in the business of endorsing other politicians. I respected him for that. I continued to respect him because he stuck to his word and didn't endorse anyone. Bill I think you should stick to what you said and stay neutral.

February 26, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  24. John

CNN POST THIS COMMENT!!!

richardson, you better endorse clinton!

February 26, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  25. AJ

richardson will no doubt be another member of the foemer Clinton cabinet to decamp and endorse Obama. He will go with the national trend instead of doing what is right for America. Obama is a national disaster waiting to happen. And why is no one investigating Obama's shady land deal? Or his fundraising? Obama is as crooked as they come and the democratic electorate is too stupid to see it. He's the trendy and hip candidate, and in America, superficial is where it's at. I hope if Obama wins, Bill Clinton will move his offices out of Harlem and the Clintons in general turn their backs on the black community. And I pray that Hillary stays in the Senate and starts opposing any bills making college tuition more affordable.I hope Hillary stops fighting for the folks that are losing their houses because of idiotic financing choices. Blacks and the young college crowd are flocking to Obama. I hope Hillary makes these disgusting people pay the price.

February 26, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |