February 26th, 2008

Richardson: Endorsement could come 'within days'

CNN

Watch Richardson on The Situation Room Tuesday.

(CNN) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson Tuesday suggested he may endorse a former rival in the Democratic White House race sometime this week.

In an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer set to air at 6 p.m. hour of The Situation Room, Richardson praised both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, and suggested now might be the right time he publicly backs one of them.

"I may make a decision and do an endorsement," Richardson said.

Asked if the endorsement could come within the next couple of days, the New Mexico governor replied, "Possibly, yes."

Richardson, a former member of the Clinton administration, wouldn't hint at which candidate he was leaning towards, and said it's still possible he may make no endorsement.

"I'm just not trying to be cute. I just have felt that an endorsement by me, I don't think it is that significant," he said. "But I still might do it."

Both Clinton and Obama have heavily sought Richardson's backing since he dropped out of the race in January. Richardson, one of the highest ranking Hispanics in the Democratic Party, could give either candidate a boost in the Latino community ahead of Texas' primary on March 4. Latinos are expected to play a big role in that contest.

In the interview Tuesday, Richardson praised both candidates, and said the two are running a "classic race."

"Change versus experience," Richardson said of the race. "And obviously I ran on the experience mantle. It didn't work out too well. But I think they are both exceptional candidates, represent fundamental change. I think it is going to be very, very close. I don't think this race is over."

Watch the full interview with Richardson tonight on The Situation Room, 6 p.m. ET.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Darth Vadik, CA

He always wanted to endorse Hillary, but when he saw the tidle wave that is Obama, he held back.

The moment Richardosn knows that Obama will win Texas, he will endorse Obama.

He wants to be secretary of state, and he's a good choice too, although I don't like this tactical calculations.

February 26, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  2. Tempered

"I don't think this race is over."

I respect Bill Richardson's record and wish he would endorse Obama. However the statement above seems to indicate he will endorse HRC.

February 26, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  3. jj

do you really want someone who's been endorsed by someone who is so biased against whites & Jews. Does Farakan see a soal mate in Obama?? Is this really what we want for our country at this time. Obama is dividing the party, everyone blames Clinton, when it is really Obama with his promises to the blacks that we will rise again speach. That's why they follow him, they see what he is really saying. Our country can not be the teaching ground right now, we're in too much trouble. We need experience. and you thought so too. don't follow the herd, if you are going to endorse someone, endorse Clinton well before the 4th when it will mean something. We realize why EDwards and maybe you too haven't endorsed someone, it's because you both probably have hopes of being asked to be VP. Watch out, it may be Jesse Jackson.

February 26, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  4. Liz

hi Bill,

I know its been a hard time for you. You are very close with the Clintons. However, you know that Obama is the best candidate for this political party.
    it will be nice for you to join the CHANGE party. im hoping to hear good things from you.

LATINAS FOR OBAMA

OBAMA 2008

February 26, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  5. A.P. Fox

Everyone stop with childish talk! If you are a Democrat vote your parties candidate. If you are wishy washy you are not a Democrat anyway. If you do not like your candidate, just know that a vote for Nader or for no candidate would only give us 4 more years of Bush like leadership. Everyone stop with the threats! We are not a country of voting demographics (thats for the media) who should be affended by who endorses who. We are a country of Americans who need leadership that makes sense and understands WE THE PEOPLE have the power in this country. Clinton quit crying and playing dirty tricks! Obama speak only the facts! Get behind our next President (Obama) and if someone wants to keep you from that, then they must really enjoy the mess we are in right now.

February 26, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  6. Bouba

Bill.......if you want to do something, do it now. Do you want the candidate to throw tehmselves at your feet? Remember you lost everywhere, so stop trying to be a pretty boy and make a decision. That is what a leader does, therefore if you are one do it.

February 26, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  7. VC, MD

I think he can go either way. But if he wants his endorsement to have any significance, he should decide before March 4th otherwise it will be useless. On another note, I guess most people still take him to be a Clinton supporter. Thus if he endorses Clinton, it won't make much difference. He can make a little impact if he endorses Obama. That should help resolve this race faster.

February 26, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  8. MD2

John – looks like fuzzy math to me

February 26, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  9. SE

Would it be a surprise to anyone if he through his support towards Billary? Every television appearance he has had since dropping out of the race has been a subtle support of the Billary campaign. …the true surprise would be if he supported Obama!

Hang in there Barack; the best victories are when all odds are against you! Obama 08!!!

February 26, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  10. Jimmy P - Chicago

What a loser, typical Democrat all full of himself.

February 26, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  11. Beverly Leslie

Wow that "independent Californian" is scary. Sounding very cult like.
    I've always considered myself a liberal, however after watching this election I have found the only difference between each side is ideology.

If you would speak out against the war it was the conservatives who would threaten you and call you a traitor. If you speak out against Obama it is the liberals who attack, spewing the worst type of vile and threats. Just ask Tavis Smiley. I believe his family was threatened because he disagreed with Obama.

Obama is the democratic version of George W. Bush. Just listen to him speak and his real lack of understanding on the issues. I will not condone this type of behavior with my vote.

I think I will consider leaving this country after this fiasco.

February 26, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  12. Chica Guapa

Si quieres continuar con tu carrera politica vota por Hillary.

Bill, your platform on experience DID work, this is why people wants you to endorse obama, because he has none. What didn't work was the fact that you don't have a lot of followers. Endorse Hillary.

CNN moderator, please allow me to have my say. Stop cutting me off.

February 26, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  13. tomdavie

Nobody cares if Obama will make the country worse. Even though we see clearly he STUMBLES without his teleprompter and goofs up due to inexperience.

He has had a TEFLON shield on, and voters would vote in Forrest Gump just to SPITE anyone who has been in washington before.

Since media hype and voter malcontent are the determining factor, what difference is it going to make.

All you Obama fans better get ready to BACKPEDDLE off you Guru when you see what a fool he really is. I just hope he doesnt start some kind of nuclear war.

February 26, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  14. Shannon Shiflett

interesting that hillary supporters like to use obama's middle name, as if ignorance might scare off potential voters–that's a dirty right-wing tactic. i like hillary less every day because of the "do anything to win" mentality of her supporters.

February 26, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  15. Michael

To Jessica,

It is so amazing and so good to hear a Clinton supporter not say nasty things about Obama. You are right, we are ONE party and we will need to remain that way to keep a third Bush term (McCain) from happening! I hope Americans are smarter than they were in 2000 and 2004!

Just say NO to "100 years" of war in Iraq!!!

OBAMA/EDWARDS '08

February 26, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  16. Steve

This is just what the Hillary camp was waiting for. He will support Hillary Clinton, who has much closer ties to the Hispanic community than Obama. Although I think some are overestimating his influence, he could push the Clinton campaign just far enough ahead of Obama to make things really interesting over the next couple of months...if he endorses her before March 4th...and ladies and gentlemen thats a big IF.

February 26, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  17. Georgie

I Like Richardson . A Clinton Richardson ticket would be just as good as Clinton Edwards. I'll take either one. But Obama no way, I'd vote McCain befor Obama.

February 26, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  18. Brando

Barack NEEDS to pick Edwards as his VP. Neither Biden (status quo) or Richardson (minority) are gonna have his back in the General Election. MARK. MY. WORDS. Without John, you CAN'T get 270. Again, it's ALL about the Electoral College, stupid.
    PS: Have a great debate tonight. Don't stutter, don't contradict yourself and please, please...SEE. IT. COMING i.e DON'T TAKE THE BAIT. This nomination's yours for the taking.

February 26, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  19. Bonnie

Richardson is someone with experience yet couldn't mount an effective campaign. I think he would be an excellent candidate for VP with Hillary Clinton unless, of course he bails and goes over to Obama. Then he will get nothing. He can keep his job as governor.

February 26, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  20. carol

LATINO SERVICE MEMBERS FOR HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!

February 26, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  21. Aleks

Guys dont be so racist in your comments. This is the interest of a nation not the interest of a person.
    Wether he endorse or not Obama or Clinton, you need to show that you are mature in your reflexion in order to help undecided to make the right choice.

Richardson, son choice is not late but make the right choice to help undecided to be concerned by this race.

Vive America!

February 26, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  22. Rlee

I think he's already chosen who....HRC...he ended his comment with this race is not over......

I personally choose Obama! Obama! Obama!

whether or not he's endorsed...he's chosen by God.....American's have suffered long enough with the same....

And if Hillary claims experience...where is it...her whole campaign has been on her husbands record....the only one true is his unfairness to her and his uncommitment to her personally......that's how she's played this campaign....cheatin

February 26, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  23. nick

Bill go to hell with Hillary. I am mad as hell to see that you are waiting to see which one will go forth. It just goes to show that you are not qualified to be VP. You suck. Gutless.

February 26, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  24. Gavin

Bill Richardson KNOWS that Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton is the most practical and strongest choice for the DEMS....

He was there, first-hand, in the trenches, and has seen what the Republicans will do for power-and they will not spare barack obama just because he's talking about Hope. The GOP spares no-one.

That's why I'm hoping and betting that Richardson will endorse Senator Clinton because of the strenght, resilience, and platform that she has.!

Hillary Clinton all the way !!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

February 26, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  25. Jack

Richardson's endorsement will have a decent impact with older Texas Latinos who are still undecided....

Young Latinos (and younger people in general) don't care about an endorsement unless it comes from a pop star...

Younger Latinos will either vote the way their parents do, which would favor Clinton, or they'll vote the way their friends do, which would favor Obama

February 26, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |