February 26th, 2008

Richardson: Endorsement could come 'within days'

CNN

Watch Richardson on The Situation Room Tuesday.

(CNN) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson Tuesday suggested he may endorse a former rival in the Democratic White House race sometime this week.

In an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer set to air at 6 p.m. hour of The Situation Room, Richardson praised both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, and suggested now might be the right time he publicly backs one of them.

"I may make a decision and do an endorsement," Richardson said.

Asked if the endorsement could come within the next couple of days, the New Mexico governor replied, "Possibly, yes."

Richardson, a former member of the Clinton administration, wouldn't hint at which candidate he was leaning towards, and said it's still possible he may make no endorsement.

"I'm just not trying to be cute. I just have felt that an endorsement by me, I don't think it is that significant," he said. "But I still might do it."

Both Clinton and Obama have heavily sought Richardson's backing since he dropped out of the race in January. Richardson, one of the highest ranking Hispanics in the Democratic Party, could give either candidate a boost in the Latino community ahead of Texas' primary on March 4. Latinos are expected to play a big role in that contest.

In the interview Tuesday, Richardson praised both candidates, and said the two are running a "classic race."

"Change versus experience," Richardson said of the race. "And obviously I ran on the experience mantle. It didn't work out too well. But I think they are both exceptional candidates, represent fundamental change. I think it is going to be very, very close. I don't think this race is over."

Watch the full interview with Richardson tonight on The Situation Room, 6 p.m. ET.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Darth Vadik, CA

FOR YOU PEOPLE THINKING THAT McCAIN IS A DEMOCRAT,

THINK AGAIN, LOOK AT HIS RECORD, TWO VOTES AGAINST BUSH TAX CUTS AND ONE CMPAIGN FINANCE REFOM DOES NOT MAKE YOU A DEMOCRAT.

NOW HE'S JUST A SHELL OF A MAN HE USED TO BE.

PLUS, HE IS WEAK,

WHY?

HOW MANY RETRACTIONS HAS HE HAD IN THE LAST WEEK?

HOW MANY RETRACTIONS HAS BUSH HAD IN HIS WHOLE LIFE TIME?

ENOUGH SAID.

February 26, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  2. IndependentTurnedObamite

John Smith – Are you really 'John Smith'? You sound like a girl to me. Sorry to say this. I am a gal too, but you really sound like a whining gal to me.

February 26, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  3. Never little o

This GA wm liberal can't stand obama or his supporters....I can't wait to move to Spain in fact, if he wins the nomination! Homogenous cultures are better....

February 26, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  4. SLO Bear

i really hope Governor Richardson endorses Barack Obama, campaigns with him, and serves on his cabinet or as VP.

February 26, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  5. Oregon Democrat

Richardson would best serve his state's interest by endorsing Hillary Clinton. Obama's lack of experience will drive our economy into a deeper hole, and that would especially affect a disproportionate percentage of hispanics and african-americans. Hillary's the best prepared to move our country in the right direction and make change for the better.

February 26, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  6. Nancy Hillsborough

CNN PLEASE POST:

Hillary Clinton has the same haircut as my neighbor Larry. They both wear man-pants and both blame others for their shortcomings.

Nancy Hillsborough
    Rhode Island

February 26, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  7. LC

If Richardson has any intellect, he would endorse Obama, the candidate that will unite America. Hillary is running just for her legacy, while Obama is running for the interests of the people in the US. It's true that Mr. Richardson has ties with the Clintons, but it's also true that he knows all of the political baggage that they carry.

February 26, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  8. John

Govenor Richardson the Clinton campaign is out of money, out of toutch, out of luck and out of it's collective mind with desperation. There is only one way to go in this campaign and that is with Obama if the Democratic party wants to hold onto all those young voters.

February 26, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  9. Kab

Common..you too know "change" is needed than "experience"...Follow your heart and endorse Obama...you wont repent

February 26, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  10. AK

I actually liked both Obama and Clinton at one time, but with all the anti-Hillary stuff from the media and some very rude and mean comments from Obama supporters, it has turned me off to him. If he is our nominee, I can't say at this time that I will vote for him come November. People need to stop all this back and forth bickering and realize that they are turning off voters that support the other candidate. For the democrats to win in November, we will need both Obama and Clinton supporters behind whomever the nominee may be!

February 26, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  11. JustinA

I doubt he'll endorse Clinton. I was suprised he didn't come out and endorse Hillary after spending super bowl weekend with Bill.

February 26, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  12. Endorser

How can Bill NOT endorse Hillary? The Richardsons and the Clintons are practically fanily. Fo him to endorse Obama would be stab in the back....Et Tu Brut?!?

I hope he does endorse Billary and lets tighten up this race for the final knife fight!!!

Obama 2008

February 26, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  13. joel

BILL RICHARDSON'S ENDORSEMENT FOR EITHER CLINTON OR OBAMA WILL MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN THE NOMINATION
    PROCESS. HE IS A WELL KNOWN DIPLOMAT , A DEMOCRAT AND VERY WELL LIKED EVEN BY REPUBLICANS.
    hIS ENDORESEMENT MAY WELL TIP THE NOMINATION TO WHOMEVER HE ENDORSES.
    i JUST HOPE HE ENDORSES THE CANDIDATE WITH "EXPERIENCE" AND THAT IS NONE OTHER THAN HILLARY
    RODHAM CLINTON . IT'S UP TO YOU BILL RICHARDSON.

February 26, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  14. Jimmy Zoe

June,

Please get your facts straight. It is not 150 delegate lead. It is fewer than 100 (and that excludes Florida and Michigan - they ought to be happy about their being disenfranchised when the General Election rolls around).

Also, please review your civics book from junior high school. The margin in delegates between Obama and Clinton is razor thin when, in a primary, one needs 2,000+ delegates to be declared the nominee. Considering that your candidate is woefully short of that and will miss that mark regardless, it may be prudent to reign in your comments a bit. If less than 100 delegates is SO MUCH than how would you characterize being close to 1,000 delegates of the required number?

The fact of the matter is that this is a very close race. The results are further muddied - and, frankly, misleading - because the bulk of Obama's wins thus far have been cobbled together from smaller red states (that, I might add, typically go Republican in a general election). While this may be an interesting strategy in a primary, it doesn't tell us anything about the likely outcome of a general election. Even mainstream media (part of the Obama choir) has recently begun to pick up on this.

Finally, please remember that 8.5 million people have voted for Clinton so far. So perhaps before you dismiss all of us as irrelevant, you may want to act a little more in accord with the sort of "unity" that Obama has been preaching. Otherwise, many of those 8.5 million could drift over to McCain (I for one) and the Democrats may end up losing the White House yet again.

February 26, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  15. Steph

WHY?!?!?!?!?

HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT FROM USING SUPERDELEGATES TO GARNER SUPPORT???????????????

DON'T PEOPLE HAVE THEIR OWN MINDS?????

All I have to say is hopefully it is for Obama. We saw how the Kennedy's helped bolster his vote in MA and CA....

February 26, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  16. Bela

I for one love Bill Clinton...ask my husband. On day one, I waited to hear that Hillary was running for president...not because I would support her but because I knew she would. This Clinton family s very ambitious. They seek firsts...and Hillary has accomplished a lot of firsts...but being the first woman president is simply not oing to be one of them. If she would have endorsed Gore or Kerry for that matter when they were running fot the job of POTUS, I would have looked differently upon her. Now that she wants the support of the party leaders, she is suprised that they are reluctant to stick their necks out for a candidate that is only out for herself and her family...Give up Hillary. You have an appointment waiting. You have a date with defeat, and it is March 5th, 2008. Sorry Hillary fans it is time to read the writing on the wall!
    Go Barack 08

February 26, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  17. mary

It dose not matter who Edwars or Richardson endorse
    Like Dodd he should of none all of this long ago.
    Endoresment do not matter did Opera help Obama
    maybe in south Caroline where the population have more Black voters. thats why he won when you see 96% of Black voters vote for him 4% for Hillery what dose that tell you. the Clintnos have done
    more for the Black people then Obama will ever do he has onley
    a point t prove as black person can be president and that is all
    he cares about. He will never do anything to get us out of this mess
    except raise taxes of working people. Dose it his friend the slum lord
    have his trail comming up this week. Any way waite for the debates tonight then make up your mind who is best to be president.

February 26, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  18. Texas 4 HILLARY

Women are for Hillary. If he would endorse Obama, I would look down upon him.

February 26, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  19. jw, canadian,ok

OK CNN – take a poll to see how many care who Bill Richardson endorses.

February 26, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  20. aware

No rush Bill! Wait and see if the Barack myth the media has created knocks out Hillary. Barack is no prophet but he promises what only God can accomplish.

I thought the task of super delegates was to safeguard America from a meldown that is, in this case, rapidly reaching cult status?

If Barack is the nominee,The Dems will go down again. The Republicans will rip the bark off Barack and John McCain will be the next president.

If not Hillary 08 then McCain 08 :)

February 26, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  21. hyacenth

Hell has no fury like a woman's scorn. The question of the day is this: To be or not to be. Is Hillary Clinton more "woman" than a "president"?

February 26, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  22. Michael

Who cares who he is endorsing...now it seems like everyone and anyone is just jockeying to say, "Hey, I supported you." He should have endorsed someone earlier...

To Jessica,

It is so amazing and so good to hear a Clinton supporter not say nasty things about Obama. You are right, we are ONE party and we will need to remain that way to keep a third Bush term (McCain) from happening! I hope Americans are smarter than they were in 2000 and 2004!

Just say NO to "100 years" of war in Iraq!!!

OBAMA/EDWARDS '08

P.S.- Did anyone catch that interview with Texas Monthly and how Hillary basically is saying if she doesn't win Texas, it's okay because they will not vote Democrat in Nov anyway???

February 26, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  23. Edgardo-Latino in LA

I will never entrust my future and my kid's future to an amateur politician. I want a trusted politician who can deliver solutions to this mess that we are in right now! This is the reason why Richardson should endorse HILLARY! No more, no less

February 26, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  24. js

We have to respect senators like Dodd who actually take a stand about their beliefs and demand real change, not just a seat at the table...or share of the political pie and who don't care about Americans, or those such as Clintons and Bushes who just care about their respective dynasties and not the real issues facing all of us......

Obama '08

February 26, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  25. HILLARY 08

I will feel safer if CLinton was in the White House. She would be a true leader. Obama fans, can you just look at him without eating?

February 26, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |