February 26th, 2008

Richardson: Endorsement could come 'within days'

CNN

Watch Richardson on The Situation Room Tuesday.

(CNN) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson Tuesday suggested he may endorse a former rival in the Democratic White House race sometime this week.

In an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer set to air at 6 p.m. hour of The Situation Room, Richardson praised both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, and suggested now might be the right time he publicly backs one of them.

"I may make a decision and do an endorsement," Richardson said.

Asked if the endorsement could come within the next couple of days, the New Mexico governor replied, "Possibly, yes."

Richardson, a former member of the Clinton administration, wouldn't hint at which candidate he was leaning towards, and said it's still possible he may make no endorsement.

"I'm just not trying to be cute. I just have felt that an endorsement by me, I don't think it is that significant," he said. "But I still might do it."

Both Clinton and Obama have heavily sought Richardson's backing since he dropped out of the race in January. Richardson, one of the highest ranking Hispanics in the Democratic Party, could give either candidate a boost in the Latino community ahead of Texas' primary on March 4. Latinos are expected to play a big role in that contest.

In the interview Tuesday, Richardson praised both candidates, and said the two are running a "classic race."

"Change versus experience," Richardson said of the race. "And obviously I ran on the experience mantle. It didn't work out too well. But I think they are both exceptional candidates, represent fundamental change. I think it is going to be very, very close. I don't think this race is over."

Watch the full interview with Richardson tonight on The Situation Room, 6 p.m. ET.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Too Bad

It's too bad the many of the posts on this page are rabidly promoting either Obama or Hillary. That is not the war! It is only a small battle that leads up to THE WAR–winning the presidency back from the Republicans.

Yes, the outcome of this battle will affect the outcome of the WAR. And Democrates will lose it for sure if they become divided and bent on having their favorite candidate–to the point that they bolt or not vote if they don't get their way

I'm voting for a more shared spirit!

February 26, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  2. me

Please endorse CLINTON 08!!! She is the best candidate!!

February 26, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  3. Byron in CA

I find it curious that most on here that are for a Democrat don't consider Nader, Obama or Clinton as the change they're talking about ingeneral. Republicans are the ones that have been the problem to them. Any change from the Republicans is a dramatic change. Have democrats gotten so use to baging on the Republicans and equated that to the goverment that they've forgotten exactly what it is they are trying to change. The idea that Obama is the only one that can deliver them from that change, (though he too would be a change, to what extent has to be yet determined) to me anyway seems to belittle the people like Kerry, Kennedy, and Dodd that support him now. Why do those endorsements seem contrary to his campaign of change? What is that change he talks about? Both sides of the isle and the candidates have answers to those questions, but how and when will that effect the country and your lives? Will we really be out of Iraq if Obama is elected, or will the main troops just be replaced by someone else that cost us even more of our tax dollars? Will we get Universal Health care with Obama or will it get stalled in the Senate or in Congress? Will the change come as excuses or will the change come and it wasn't really wasn't what we asked for? I can't help but ask these questions becasue it's the process I go thru before I can cast a vote. I hope all the voters go to atleast that much troble, and not listen to sound bites or negative campaigns since all that is to distract us from what we're really asking.

February 26, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  4. elrali

hope he'll endorse Obama!

Obama 08

February 26, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  5. Nigeria girl

Richardson, let your heart lead you to the right candidate...i know it is BARACK OBAMA and i support your heart ALL THE WAY to the White House

February 26, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  6. R.M.

If he was to endorse Clinton, he would have done that eons ago.. Welcome to the movement Mr. Richardson..

February 26, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  7. Al, Sacramento Ca

It's funny how all of you idiots were not talking about dinasties in 2000 and 2004. And I am sure you will vote for Jeb years from now.

You all will not vote for Hillary because your dislove for this country continues to exude.

As I saw then, I see now, you will also regret you vote in 2008 and by then American will be on it's knees and I may be too late.

February 26, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  8. Nigeria girl

OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA IS OUR MAN

February 26, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  9. Black Man For Hillary

OH. Look at me! I'm a high ranking ethnic figure and I'm endorsing a candidate!

I thought we were trying to make this one NOT about race?

HMMM?

February 26, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  10. Helene

I do hope that he endorses Obama. This is the only logical thing to do for a democrat at this stage of the race.

February 26, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  11. Julian Sanchez

Who cares about Gov. Richardson's endorsement! He's a loser!

February 26, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  12. Sam - Texas

Hillary for President!

February 26, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  13. nazirmo

Gov Richardson ,
    You have been close to the Clintons. You worked in Bill's
    administration. You said your support would be insignificant.
    Obama has had many endoresements. Why not support Hillary ?

February 26, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  14. Angela

CNN – if you don't like what your viewers have to say then why are you asking???? Unless the comment has profanity or is COMPLETELY off topic then you should let it stand. That is what unbiased news organizations are supposed to do – report the facts and let people make up their own minds.....

The democrats are going to lose an election that a year ago was 'unloseable'.

February 26, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  15. norb

Obama/Pattrick that's the ticket!

February 26, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. Pat- Vermont

I think Richardson would be an excellent Vice-President for Hillary
    He has the calm mannerism needed for VP. He is not trying to be a "empty" promise person like Obama is.
    People wake up and see who has the experience here. Open your eyes first time voters and look closely at the background of Hillary. She is one person who knows the policies and how to handle any problem. GO HILLARY!

February 26, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  17. Rich Jones

WHO CARES!!!!

February 26, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  18. Black Man For Hillary

And for you Obama fans who keep touting that "will of the people" stuff:

Clinton won New Mexico, doesn't it then follow that the governor of that state should endorse her? Just using a little Obama logic there.

February 26, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  19. Charles

AJ:

In case you have not noticed, the Clintons have already turned their backs against Black People. Ever since she lost South Carolina she has ignored Black People in most of her advertising and campaigning. True her campaign manager is Black but she has focused on winning the Latino vote and has almost made this a black vs. Brown contest. She needs to be very careful. If she does win the nomination, she will have to mend a lot of fences with Black People who may not come out in such numbers to support her based upon her alleged treatment of Obama and her ignoring them in favor of Latinos. She needs Black AND Brown to come out in huge numbers for her to win in November.

I was with Hillary till South Carolina now if she gets the nod, I'll do something that I have never done in my adult life. I'll vote Republican for President.

February 26, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  20. carmen

Ok, Bill, don't let your former boss stain you. Get a clean slate and choose good moral conscience: OBAMA!
    What's the big deal about a woman pre, this or that? To be a woman is the best qualification? I am a woman. I should be the Present!

February 26, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  21. Wayne

You pretty much have to endorse Obama. If you come out and endorse Hillary you look like a Jack Arse. You'd be going against the will of the people. I know he is mad Dodd beat him to the endorsement punch.

February 26, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  22. Makeesha

funny no pro clinton comments

February 26, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  23. Wiselectorate

Richardson confessed that he ran on the mantle of experience and it did not work.

What does that say about Bilary's campaign?

February 26, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  24. k bolden

Can someone PLEASE enlighten me as to WHAT experience Clinton has? ....and WHY people feel she's EARNED the right to be President?

February 26, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  25. ange

Ok , I am a woman. So let me be the President! Even I am a woman. I still vote for Obama, Obama all the way!!!

February 26, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |