February 26th, 2008

Richardson: Endorsement could come 'within days'

CNN

Watch Richardson on The Situation Room Tuesday.

(CNN) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson Tuesday suggested he may endorse a former rival in the Democratic White House race sometime this week.

In an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer set to air at 6 p.m. hour of The Situation Room, Richardson praised both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, and suggested now might be the right time he publicly backs one of them.

"I may make a decision and do an endorsement," Richardson said.

Asked if the endorsement could come within the next couple of days, the New Mexico governor replied, "Possibly, yes."

Richardson, a former member of the Clinton administration, wouldn't hint at which candidate he was leaning towards, and said it's still possible he may make no endorsement.

"I'm just not trying to be cute. I just have felt that an endorsement by me, I don't think it is that significant," he said. "But I still might do it."

Both Clinton and Obama have heavily sought Richardson's backing since he dropped out of the race in January. Richardson, one of the highest ranking Hispanics in the Democratic Party, could give either candidate a boost in the Latino community ahead of Texas' primary on March 4. Latinos are expected to play a big role in that contest.

In the interview Tuesday, Richardson praised both candidates, and said the two are running a "classic race."

"Change versus experience," Richardson said of the race. "And obviously I ran on the experience mantle. It didn't work out too well. But I think they are both exceptional candidates, represent fundamental change. I think it is going to be very, very close. I don't think this race is over."

Watch the full interview with Richardson tonight on The Situation Room, 6 p.m. ET.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. E Popp

Mr. Richardson, I hope you're reading these. Please don't step into the fray, unless it's to announce your Vice Presidential candidacy.

If you can't resist, I urge you to back Hillary, the most qualified person to get the job done in Washington and around the world. She's earned it.

February 26, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  2. Marnie, KY

Oh, who is he kidding–he's been in the Clinton pocket forever. Didn't he and Bill watch the Superbowl together? I doubt if this annoucement will be a big surprise. He'll wait until after March 4th, and then jump on anybody's bandwagon.

O/08

February 26, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  3. john2

I would like to endorse Harry S. Truman. He knew the value of health care and he new the value of a dollar.

February 26, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  4. Mischelle from Illinois

And he is holding out because.......???? LOVE the new look! He should have worn it during the campaign. Seriously....

February 26, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  5. jt

Make the right choice. Endorse Hillary!!

Hope and dream are good but we need experience to get the job done right now.

February 26, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  6. Maxine

He will go for Clinton. He has more history with them than most. Also, she is promising the world right now to get these endorsements. I think these endorsers should really look at how she is percieving in this campagin and ask themselves is this how I want people to see me. I am sorry my respect for the Clintons is going down fast. Let's play adults and quit trying to drag our fellow Dem through the gutter.

Racist remarks, e-mail lies and now photos that lead you to think there might be a connection with the Musslim nation. Is this still how we want to look to the rest of the world?

Mr. Richardson you need to remember this when you make your decision. Even though I feel he will go with Clinton.

February 26, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  7. Praetorian, Ft. Myers, FL

Mabye if he'd had the beard during his campaign more people would have taken him seriously.

Now he has a second moment in the sun!!

Who will he choose!!!

Will he decide before Texas!!

Heck no–his vote will go to the survivor of Texas!!

If he's going to hitch to someone's coat tails it will have to be someone who generates hispanic support on their own.

February 26, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  8. KMAN

Come on Bill, quit being coy and endorse a winner ... Hillary is on her way back to New York ... after all, they're the ones that elected her!

February 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  9. MARYLOU JONES

GOVERNOR RICHARDSON, YOUR STATE OF NEW MEXICO WENT FOR HILLARY CLINTON. PLEASE MAKE YOUR ENDORSEMENT NOW FOR HILLARY CLINTON FOR PRESIDENT!

February 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  10. david

I love this guy and wish he could be Hillary's running mate.

But, I guess if things don't get too nasty (and I think they'll kiss and make up for sure) H & O together are the only way Dems are taking the White House this fall.

February 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  11. Bob

With that awesome beard, he's totally a shoo-in for VP.

Beards: the perfect combination of change AND experience.

February 26, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  12. Joann

I can tell you right now who Richardson is voting for – Guess? Tell me politics isn't staged. They've been beating Hillary down from day one and I hope she shows them all. She is so strong; I think she has more "umph" than Obummer.

February 26, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  13. Debbie

Last week, Mr Richardson did an interview and said the Democratic party super delegates must back the candidate chosen by the pledged delegates. In this interview, he was very adamant in this belief.

He also stated, that the party cannot seat the Florida and Michigan votes. He said all the candidates knew the rules going in and agreed to them.

February 26, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  14. mother too

experience does not run well because of all the "kids" who want to "change", but to change what? Kids, parents are the ones who feed you, buy you clothes, things, put you through schools. What would you do without them – the older ones?
    It is shame that this country does not have respect for wisdom, experience ( but if you want a job, you must have experience – I remember my younger years – every place wanted a "experience").
    There is also one and very true truth: One is as young as he/she feels and thinks.
    I would not go without experience -all those "mean" leaders, dictators are just waiting for someone inexperienced, naive to get in White house...the reasons? Just think about it.

February 26, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  15. Ruby marshall

It will be perfect Mr. Gov. if you choose Sen. Clinton, you are the perfect Vice President-to be, just in case...I believe your team will beat the Republican come General Election day..

February 26, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  16. Kristine Kravis

Sorry, I meant Governor Richardson, above

February 26, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  17. Wayne, Greenville TX

C'mon, Bill, quit yer stalling. Endorse Barack Obama and help him win. Our country will thank you next January.

February 26, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  18. John

Bill as an Obama supporter we would love you to be Sec. of State

Bill as an Obama supporter we would love to have you be Sec. of State, Its always good to have the best of the best in the cabinet. We know Bill Richardson fits the bill. Can't wait! This has got to be the best election ever. Obama/Edwards with Richardson and Dodd, thats going to be a great admistration, probably the best ever at least in my life time. Oh yes we are!!! It is great to be on the winning side. HRC it's alright you can still be a senator for NY, thats not a bad thing, unless your from NY.

February 26, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  19. Ray

Gov. go with Obama. This guy is bringing something to politics we haven't seen for meny a year. Its something to look forward too for our kids

February 26, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  20. Richard

Endorse the person who will help us from the Republican mess.
    Hillary 2008

February 26, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  21. Jennifer

change about what!!. experience is what it counts, I will feel safer if CLinton was in the White House.

February 26, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  22. John Henry

What is Experience when Talent and wisdom is there? Obama represent the real change and Hillary needs to disclose her white house records (Tax return and other) before the end of the election if she is that honest with the American people.

February 26, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  23. Yesenia Grijalva-Flores

I am an American of Mexican heritage living here in Texas. And I can tell you first hand, NAFTA really hurt us. Jobs went away and those of us left here try to cope with no jobs. Thanks alot, Clinton. There's a big movement down here of Mexican Americans that DON'T want that kind of administration again. Ever. NO MORE CLINTONS. NO MORE CLINTONS.

YESENIA GRIJALVA-FLORES
    HOUSTON, TX

February 26, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  24. Paul, San Diego

Since Sen. Clinton won New Mexico, my hunch is Governor Richardson will endorse Hillary Clinton on Friday (2/29) based on experience mantra.

February 26, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  25. john

Go endorse or Go home! Tired of your decompression.....

February 26, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |