February 26th, 2008

Richardson: Endorsement could come 'within days'

CNN

Watch Richardson on The Situation Room Tuesday.

(CNN) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson Tuesday suggested he may endorse a former rival in the Democratic White House race sometime this week.

In an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer set to air at 6 p.m. hour of The Situation Room, Richardson praised both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, and suggested now might be the right time he publicly backs one of them.

"I may make a decision and do an endorsement," Richardson said.

Asked if the endorsement could come within the next couple of days, the New Mexico governor replied, "Possibly, yes."

Richardson, a former member of the Clinton administration, wouldn't hint at which candidate he was leaning towards, and said it's still possible he may make no endorsement.

"I'm just not trying to be cute. I just have felt that an endorsement by me, I don't think it is that significant," he said. "But I still might do it."

Both Clinton and Obama have heavily sought Richardson's backing since he dropped out of the race in January. Richardson, one of the highest ranking Hispanics in the Democratic Party, could give either candidate a boost in the Latino community ahead of Texas' primary on March 4. Latinos are expected to play a big role in that contest.

In the interview Tuesday, Richardson praised both candidates, and said the two are running a "classic race."

"Change versus experience," Richardson said of the race. "And obviously I ran on the experience mantle. It didn't work out too well. But I think they are both exceptional candidates, represent fundamental change. I think it is going to be very, very close. I don't think this race is over."

Watch the full interview with Richardson tonight on The Situation Room, 6 p.m. ET.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Murry

Bill, you are right about the experience message not working this year. The change message is the winning message. Join Senator Dodd in endorsing Obama.

February 26, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  2. Jason

I think it's pretty clear that Richardson is going to endorse Clinton. After Dodd came out to support Obama, the Clinton campaign has put the pressure on Richardson, Bill Clinton's long time friend.

February 26, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  3. Matt

New Mexicans voted for Hillary. She won 14 of the state's 26 pledged delegates to Obama's 12. Hopefully Governor Richardson follows the will of the voters in New Mexico and throws his support behind Sen. Clinton, coincidentally, the stronger and more experienced candidate.

February 26, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  4. marge

E Popp February 26th, 2008 2:28 pm ET

Mr. Richardson, I hope you're reading these. Please don't step into the fray, unless it's to announce your Vice Presidential candidacy.

If you can't resist, I urge you to back Hillary, the most qualified person to get the job done in Washington and around the world. She's earned it.

How did she earn it?????

Does anybody else get the impression,that the majority of Hillary supporters do not make adult type post? Either there are a bunch of teen agers playing on her OR there are a lot of uneducated folks in America!!!!

February 26, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  5. Terry For Texas

Obama/Richardson 08

February 26, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  6. Goran

It will be no surprise to anyone that Richardson will probably endorse Clinton. Bill was in New Mexico courting Richardson during the Super ball game and I guess it is now for Richardson to pay back his dues to Clintons. However significant this endorsement may be for Clintons it will not help her this time with the Latino vote. Many American-Hispanic voters are disillusioned with Clintons changing messages on immigration and driving license debates. I guess Hispanic and other minorities’ votes matter to Clintons only in time of election. Richardson should not naively sell out his vote! Hispanics will give much of their vote to Obama.

Vote for Obama!

February 26, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  7. LATINA VOTER,CA

FOR THE LATINO VOTERS
    BILL YOU NEED TO DO THE RIGHT THING
    AND VOTE FOR HILLARY!!!!
    IF YOU DONT THE PEOPLE OF NEW MEXICO WILL NOT
    SUPPORT YOU!!!

GO HILLARY 08

February 26, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  8. Veronica

Bill Richardson should endorse Hillary Clinton. He has experience and should be able to see that Barack Obama does not. I hope he'e doesn't just go with the flow and try to go with the winner. I think may of the former candidates are vying for vice president.

February 26, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  9. Charles

I feel a strong personal dislike for Obama and his wife. However, I'm trying to think positive. McCain will crush him in November and after GOP is done with Obama, his political career will be over. On the other side, if Clinton wins the nomiantion, he'd have a reasonable chances in 4 or 8 years.So this is good. Then, on Nov. 05 Clintons and their supporters will go after people who owed them so much but betrayed them – not black community (impossible), but Kennedy, Dodd, Kerry and other ultra-liberals from the party. They'll say "We've been warning you for a year! This is all your fault that you we've lost an election we were obligated to win" After that I hope there will be a major overhaul in Democratic party leadership and we'll look for Hillary or Al Gore for 2012.
    This is my prediction – too bad that we can't have HRC as a President now.

February 26, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  10. Adam Orlando Florida

Lets go Richardson! Lets get an endorsement for the best person ready to lead our country to a better tomorrow.

ENDORSE HILLARY!!! HILLARY 2008!!!

February 26, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  11. Quinn

"The race is not over"

That sounds pretty optimistic to me if you are planning to back Hillary.

I say he will endorse her, not Obama. For greater effect, he will probably endorse her a day or two before the Texas primary in effort to swing Latino voters there.

I hope I am wrong though. At least we still have George Lopez. He can appeal to people in ways that politicians can't.

Go Obama!

February 26, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  12. AK

Do endorsements really matter? How many people out there vote based on endorsements? I for one don't and I believe that many others out there feel the same way. And it doesn't seem like some of the bigger name endorsements such as Kennedy and Kerry did any good for Obama.

February 26, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  13. OBAMA SUPPORTER

WHO CARES WHO HE ENDORES EVERYTHING IS ALL IN GOD'S PLAN NO MATTER WHO HE ENDORES. WHATEVER HAPPENS IS GOING TO HAPPEN. I JUST PRAY ITS OBAMA TIME. WE LOVE YOU OBAMA!!

February 26, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  14. Ken in Western NY

Richardson will endorse Obama. He'd be a fool to endorse Clinton.

Even the Time magazine issue of March 3rd states that if the election was held today, 48% would vote for Obama as opposed to 41% for McCain.

If Hillary ran against McCain, 46% would vote for Clinton, and 46% would vote for McCain.

I think Time Magazine is a well-respected magazine and doesn't make up figures to suit the preferences of the Chairman/CEO (who, by the way, is a woman).

February 26, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  15. voter in akr

I really don't think endorsements matter at this point... it simply lets you know how a superDelegate will vote.

I am interested to see whether another former Clinton staffer will go with the alternate... it's quite telling.

February 26, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  16. Nancy

I fill safer with experience than day dream and empty change!

February 26, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  17. Jonathan

Endorsements don't matter. I don't see Hillary halting her campaign waiting for Richardson's endorsement. So Marge please, go back to Homer.

With that said, Richardson is going to make the right choice anyhow, which of course is Hillary.

February 26, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  18. Sarah L, Fayetteville, AR

I know it's off topic, but, Holy Moly, all the women Hillary supporters who say we should unite behind her because she is a woman, strong woman, blah blah blah.... are making me crazy. Stop the feminist nonsense. Nobody cares that Hillary is a woman. The notion that I, a young woman, should somehow support Hillary because she is too, is deeply offensive to me. I have my own functioning brain that I intend to use to pick who I think is the best candidate. Thank you very much.

February 26, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  19. Gary

After reading numerous comments on this post and many others , here is my observation:

Everyone has the right to their opinion on which candidiate they support...but all this bickeing and negative slandering towards each of the candidates from Democratic supporters is sad, idiotic and wont help the cause come November. If anyone has any interest on the candidates platforms go to their respective websites. You will find they are both very similar with only slight differences on how to accomplish them. Therefore the nomination process should be focused on whom would best be able to defeat the Republican nominee John McBush and secondly who would be best able to get 'results' on the issues they have put forward. Neither candiate has presidential experience. In fact neither has held a Commander/CEO/Executive post of anything. I think America is embracing change but can it ' achieve' it ?. America is certainly not embracing the 'old school' divisive/bipartisan way of politics to get things done. Either way, whomever wins the nomination, they should be supported by ALL true Democratic supporters and stop engaging in this nasty internal fighting that is all purely self-effacing. Grow up people !!! we have more important matters at hand. All these amazing and new Democrats, Independents and cross over Republicans will have been earned in vain if we lose in November. Isnt that the most important thing ?

February 26, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  20. applecrispbetty

Dear "The Red Man",
    In other words you will vote for the Caucasian candidate no matter what. I grew up in Missouri and knew people like you.

February 26, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  21. Obama all the way...

What a bag of hot air he is. We have been hearing this same message for 2 weeks now. Either make an endorsement or go away!!! Nothing new here. I might, but I might not!! Whatever!!! It takes away from the race!

February 26, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  22. v.ananthan

I AM SURE THAT SUPPORTERS OF OBAMA DID LEAK THE PHOTO OF OBAMA TO THE PRESS TO DISCREDIT HILLARY CLINTON...

HILARY CLINTON IS NOT THAT STUPID TO DO THAT.......

OBAMA SHAME ON YOU..

February 26, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  23. Dee

Another Hint: If you watched his interview with Wolf, he gave a hint. Wolf asked him if he is going to endorse Clinton because she won New Mexico. His reply was, "....it was just by 1%." This is the big hint!!

February 26, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  24. AMW

WE NEED CLINTON'S EXPERIENCE, LEADERSHIP, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPETISE IN SO MANY AREAS. SHE IS NOT DEVISIVE. SHE IS NOT ARROGANT. SHE IS NOT RUDE. THOSE WORDS DESCRIBE THE LIKES OF LIMBAUGH, COULTER, HANNITY, AND SUCH ILK. BARACK NEEDS MORE EXPERIENCE. ENDORSEMENTS SHOULD NOT MEAN A THING. IF AN ENDORSEMENT IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR SOME WAITING TO MAKE UP THEIR MINDS, THEN THOSE PEOPLE ARE LIKE LIMBAUGH'S DITTO HEADS AND HEAD BOBBLERS ON A DASH BOARD. MAKE UP YOUR OWN MINDS. WHAT ON EARTH IS THIS COUNTRY MADE OF TO EXPECT AN ENDORSER TO MAKE UP THE MINDS OF VOTERS. STAND UP FOR HILLARY CLINTON-IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO FOR THIS COUNTRY AT THIS TIME.

February 26, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  25. An Agnostic Democrat

I foresee another uncomfortable phone call in Hillary's future ...

February 26, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |