February 26th, 2008

Richardson: Endorsement could come 'within days'

CNN

Watch Richardson on The Situation Room Tuesday.

(CNN) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson Tuesday suggested he may endorse a former rival in the Democratic White House race sometime this week.

In an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer set to air at 6 p.m. hour of The Situation Room, Richardson praised both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, and suggested now might be the right time he publicly backs one of them.

"I may make a decision and do an endorsement," Richardson said.

Asked if the endorsement could come within the next couple of days, the New Mexico governor replied, "Possibly, yes."

Richardson, a former member of the Clinton administration, wouldn't hint at which candidate he was leaning towards, and said it's still possible he may make no endorsement.

"I'm just not trying to be cute. I just have felt that an endorsement by me, I don't think it is that significant," he said. "But I still might do it."

Both Clinton and Obama have heavily sought Richardson's backing since he dropped out of the race in January. Richardson, one of the highest ranking Hispanics in the Democratic Party, could give either candidate a boost in the Latino community ahead of Texas' primary on March 4. Latinos are expected to play a big role in that contest.

In the interview Tuesday, Richardson praised both candidates, and said the two are running a "classic race."

"Change versus experience," Richardson said of the race. "And obviously I ran on the experience mantle. It didn't work out too well. But I think they are both exceptional candidates, represent fundamental change. I think it is going to be very, very close. I don't think this race is over."

Watch the full interview with Richardson tonight on The Situation Room, 6 p.m. ET.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Never4Obama

Never, ever will he get my vote!

February 26, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  2. Cindy

Mr. Richardson why dont you just endorse on the candidates today? Why wait? Everyone know a deal was cut with the Clintons.

February 26, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  3. Rob in Tennessee

I'm really tired of the HRC supporters whining that if their candidate doesn't get the nomination, they're taking their ball and going home.

I've voted GOP every year since I was old enough to vote (Reagan in '80), and I'd really like to give the Dems a chance after the past 8 years. But you're making it very, very difficult.

You have a clear winner, and a clear loser. Support your winner.

McCain keeps looking better and better compared to this fiasco.

February 26, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  4. The Lum

Looks like I am going to have to keep this up the rest of the day to get a comment posted. Your delete comment pressing finger has to be tired by now.... You have deleted half a dozen of my comments just today.... which is how much time I have... ALL DAY!!!! Obama 2008.

February 26, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  5. JENA from Woodbridge

I am sure that Bill Richardson will endorse Obama. What Hilary going to do then. We all know that Obama wil win Ohio and Texas. Hurraaaaaaahhhhhh... Go Obama – from Jena Obama

February 26, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  6. jw arkansas

richardson will probley go the way dodd kennedy keery there is so much bigotry to women they would lose the white to the republican than to endorsed clinton who could beat mccain
    obama will never beat the gop. they will be all over him like a cheap suit. too bad dems. people are so dumb.

February 26, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  7. Debby Tulsa OK.

If he does choose Obama to back then that means experience means nothing, that just anyone can run our country, even if they run it badly. Experience will matter to me when I vote in the fall.

February 26, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  8. Yolanda

Look, no clinton dynasty, I just about have had it with the MADNESS. How dare anyone (you) suggest that Hillary should just bow out. Texas, Ohio, PA, and many other have not counted yet. Neither have Florida or Michigan. The 9.3 mio (or 10.2 mio if you count Florida) who have voted so far for HIllary are counting on her. They would be extremely disapointed if she pulled out, just because the Obama people and the media tell her to. Hang in there, Hillary, we appreciate it.

February 26, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  9. Ed, Santa Fe NM

Billy Boy can kiss his dreams of being Secretary of State goodbye if he endorses Hillary.

So is Hillary writing out another check since Richardson owes a ton of money for his failed campaign???

February 26, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  10. Jules

Please show Senator Richardson some respect. This man is one of the finest diplomats we have ever seen. I am an Obama supporter, but I tell you, whoever gets his endorsement, it iwill not be not meaningless and he OR she should realize the great compliment it is and be grateful. Why are all the folks on these posts showing such incivility to eachother? We may have favored players, but we're all on the same team.

February 26, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  11. Spiffert

I for one am going to vote for Ron Paul. I hate big government, and McCain is a Liberal, who would have switched parties to run as John "swiftboat" Kerry's VP 4 years ago. Americans have such short memories..
    Why Ron Paul, one may ask? Because he is the ONLY candidate with the courage to speak the truth about all the issues, ie, limited Government, ending US involvement in other nation's affairs, abolishing the IRS, just to name a few. He's the only true CONSTITUTIONAL CONSERVATIVE in the running.

February 26, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  12. Cami

Please endorse the candidate who is leading in delegates, states, and popular vote. Please put an end to this circus so that Democrats can start uniting behind one candidate. Please don't turn your back on today's youth, who are FINALLY energized about politics again.

February 26, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  13. freddie

hillary claims she gat the experience yet she can't save her own campaign from dieing. what a shame............. a good president is the one who can effectively run a campaign. how can we trust you if u can even sun a successful campaign

February 26, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. only the truth

i'm hoping and praying he endorses sen. obama. however, his statement that "i don't think this race is over" means he will endorse hillary. in that case, it will be a shame.

February 26, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  15. KAPTKARL

Bill, If you can't decide who to endorse, HOW COULD YOU HAVE BEEN PRESIDENT?

February 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  16. Trafduol

I don't like either Billary or Obama, but if Clinton is as smart as her supporters claim, why hasn't she resurrected the line that Mondale used against Hart? "Where's the beef?" sums up everything there is to say about Obama. The man is a vacuum – surrounded with ear-tickiling hot air, but he has accomplished zero, zip, nada to qualify him to be chief executive of the most powerful, complex organization on the planet! Scary how far the MTV culture has pervaded the Democratic electorate – pure entertainment; no substance.

February 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  17. Ilene

Hello, who cares. When is Edwards going to make his move???

February 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  18. Never little o

I will only vote for Hillary or McCain – I think alot of hillary supporters are sick of being demonized by little o supporters and will nver jump on the obama ship if she does not prevail – that's where I stand.

Proud wm liberal in GA – Hillary or Mccain but never little o....

TX and OH for Clinton!

February 26, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  19. Muzhik

uhhhh, isn't this the exact same interview he did in the situation room this past sunday? and didn't he say he planned on endorsing the friday before super tuesday? and does anyone even care anymore? way to wait until you're absolutely sure you choose the winner bill...

February 26, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  20. Peter Kavanagh

Its time for everybody to get behind Obama . Hillary has gone off of the reservation and is clearly unfit to be the next U.S. president .

Bye Bye Billery Clinton .

February 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  21. Lisa, OH

Democrats UNITE!!!
    Hillary (Prez), Obama (VP), Gore (cabinet-environment) , Richardson (Sec of Defense), & Edwards (Cabinet-Poverty ) '08

****Only together can we really turn America around... 1 or 2 is not enough to clean up after Bush

Please dont nominate Obama as VP and make me have to vote McCain. I like him but he just doesnt have the experience. Let's give him a few years and let him actually get something done.

February 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  22. Karen P

I really think it's about time some of the superdelegates or previous candidates begin to endorse if they're going to in light of the increased mood changes and division Ms. Clinton has been displaying.

I would be greatly disappointed if Richardson should endorse Hillary Clinton now.

February 26, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  23. Elly

Govenor Richards is a decent and honorable man
    He has made amazing strides in foreign relations etc !
    whomever he endorses he would make an honorable secretary of state !!He has earned the title with his ability to negotiate with all
    countries even trying to negotiate for captives etc
    I am a Canadian and am aware of all his accomplishments so I hope Americans realize it.
    Let the man be free to endorse who ever he wishes
    He has earned it!!

February 26, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  24. MJG, Castle Rock, CO

He is going to surely endorse Obama because his political propositions are much in line with that of Obama than Clinton.

Bill Richardson, you should really go shave :)

February 26, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  25. Darth Vadik, CA

ENOUGH YOU PEOPLE WITH CLINTON AND EXPERIENCE,
    LAURA BUSH HAS 7 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE IN THE WHITE HOUSE,
    SHE'S NO MORE READY TO BE PRESIDENT THAN THAT IDIOT HUSBAND OF HERS.

OBAMA HAS MORE LEGISLATIVE EXPERIENCE THAN HILLARY, BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER, YOUR TALKING POINT IS NOT WORKING

February 26, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |