February 26th, 2008

Richardson: Endorsement could come 'within days'

CNN

Watch Richardson on The Situation Room Tuesday.

(CNN) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson Tuesday suggested he may endorse a former rival in the Democratic White House race sometime this week.

In an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer set to air at 6 p.m. hour of The Situation Room, Richardson praised both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, and suggested now might be the right time he publicly backs one of them.

"I may make a decision and do an endorsement," Richardson said.

Asked if the endorsement could come within the next couple of days, the New Mexico governor replied, "Possibly, yes."

Richardson, a former member of the Clinton administration, wouldn't hint at which candidate he was leaning towards, and said it's still possible he may make no endorsement.

"I'm just not trying to be cute. I just have felt that an endorsement by me, I don't think it is that significant," he said. "But I still might do it."

Both Clinton and Obama have heavily sought Richardson's backing since he dropped out of the race in January. Richardson, one of the highest ranking Hispanics in the Democratic Party, could give either candidate a boost in the Latino community ahead of Texas' primary on March 4. Latinos are expected to play a big role in that contest.

In the interview Tuesday, Richardson praised both candidates, and said the two are running a "classic race."

"Change versus experience," Richardson said of the race. "And obviously I ran on the experience mantle. It didn't work out too well. But I think they are both exceptional candidates, represent fundamental change. I think it is going to be very, very close. I don't think this race is over."

Watch the full interview with Richardson tonight on The Situation Room, 6 p.m. ET.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Carrie

Richardson and Edwards should have endorsed weeks ago. Both are afraid of the Clinton Machine. Richardson will probably endorse Clinton. Although, after he withdrawed from the race, he told his supporters to vote for Obama. Who knows, who cares.

February 26, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  2. Caleb

Dear Gov. Richardson,

I am appealing to you again. I'm crying out to you! Hillary needs your help! New Mexico was won by Hillary. She is loved more in your state than Obama. Hillary is more in keeping with your spirit. I think that you would make an excellent vice president as well. It's about time we had an hispanic as Vice President! You're a remarkable man and standing with Hillary will show America that you along with her will make America prosperous again. Just think of it. America has a women for president and a hispanic man for vice president! THIS IS GREAT!! THIS IS THE WINNING TICKET!

Please please do not endorse B. Obama. I think he's a nice guy but we need you and Hillary!

I wish I could speak with you on the phone about this but I'm aware that this is not possible. I can dream right!

Please give Hillary a call and share my emails to you with her!

With highest regards,
    Caleb

February 26, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  3. Mike

Bill,

If you can endorse Hillary and help bring home Texas, then we very well could see the first Woman + Hispanic ticket in the history of this great nation. Experience does matter. Coming from such an admired and experienced politician, that would be a powerful statement. If you can help GOTV for Hillary in Texas among men, that is a very powerful addition.

If you endorse Obama, on the other hand, I think you are selling out the idea that "experience counts" for something, and all the many years and all the hard work you have devoted to us. And, you are basically just going with the crowd, and placing your bet on an unknown who doesn't even need your help.

-Mike

February 26, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  4. Kareem from Hampton VA

Dont be so quick to think that he is going to just endorse Hillary because of the long time ties! Look at what The teamsters union did? I do feel that his reluctance is a telling sign that he's not gonna endorse Hillary! If he was wouldnt she need him now more than ever?

February 26, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  5. My Vote

Obama supporters–I have to vote for what I believe in. I do not believe this man. I will NEVER believe him. It's about trust. I do not trust him. Every one of you has your reasons to spew such venow toward Mrs. Clinton. I have my reasons for not voting for Mr. Obama. I will be able to put my head down every night with a clean soul, for I have not bashed anyone for their view. I believe we need to respect everyones views, as every one has their own choice to make.

February 26, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  6. A. Harrison

Bill you had better be leaning towards Clinton.
    That would certainly get her Texas back and more of Ohio.

Hillary 2008!

February 26, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  7. kathy

I love it when Obama supporters start posting hateful and ridiculous, random comments based on no substance. It just makes me all the more determined to help the right candidate win – Hillary.

If you were really an Obama supporter and believed in what he preaches you would not be posting the crap, the hate, the junk that you are all over these boards. Yeah he might speak well but I have yet to see that translate into actions – especially when it comes to his blind supporters who seem to like to act and spread hate – yeah that is just what we need in the white house a president whose supporters will spread hate.
    Why not prove me wrong?

February 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  8. Milton, Harrisburg, PA

Vote for Change.......or is that "Chance-the-Gardner" Obama.

February 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  9. Cathy

What I dont like about endorsements is this? Why do they wait until someone is winning and then jump on the band wagon. Endorsements mean nothing. Look at the candidates and then vote. Dont vote because of endorsements.

February 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  10. skh4450IL

If you've been paying attention, he's going to endorse Hillary!

OBAMA '08

February 26, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  11. rj

i don't know who he'll endorse but if it's clinton, she'll make the biggest deal of it. if it's obama, all the clinton folk will say it's no big deal. "who cares what he says" and all that crud. she's way too predictable. and it will be a dark day for the democrats if she finagles the nomination.

February 26, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  12. Leslie, Annandale Virginia

I am supporting Sen. Obama, but am VERY concern about his safety. As I stated two months ago, the Clintons play dirty and don't lose that easily. This might play out like it did in forty years ago in 1968, along with happened to Robert Kennedy.

Sen. Obama is an inspiration to so many Americans. The Secret Service really needs to do an outstanding job protecting our next president. Again, I am ver concern!

Obama 08!!

February 26, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  13. Michael

To The Red Man,

Do what you feel is right...You will not convince the majority of us that Hillary or McCain is the right person. A vote for McCain is another vote for Bush...and I would like to believe the American people are not dumb enough to have another Bush (McCain) in office!

OBAMA/EDWARDS '08

February 26, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  14. Indy

Obama won't get the endorsement.
    Best Friends Forever are he and the Clintons
    All know that Richardson and the Clintons are buddies
    My guess is that Richardson will go with Clinton
    Although the endorsement won't change much.
    So I believe most Americans have the wool pulled over their eyes.
    Nothing in what the Dems say is good for America.
    Understand that we are not Europe but the Dems want us to be.
    To many lousy policies and empty promises
    So Bill Richardson please nndorse McCain!

February 26, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  15. Ravi

If Bill Richardson has any courage, he will endorse Barack Obama. However, and in keeping with Clinton camp tactics, he has probably been pressed by the Clintons to strategically endorse Hillary Clinton days ahead of the Texas election where polls indicate she is trailing Obama.

The Clinton camp earlier attempted to counter Ted Kennedy's endorsement of Obama in a similar fashion – by releasing a statement of support for Hillary Clinton signed by a relatively unknown former Lieutenant Governor Kennedy. Unfortunately for Hillary Clinton, voters aren't proving as naive as her campaign would like them to be these days.

February 26, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  16. leslie

I think Bill will endorse Barack. The writing is already on the wall .. just look at the polls and do the Math.

The cat is already out of the bag .. Hillary is in a desperate mode now but Bill is a wise guy and will do the right think .. for the party.

February 26, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  17. Michael

To The Red Man,

Do what you feel is right…You will not convince the majority of us that Hillary or McCain is the right person. A vote for McCain is another vote for Bush…and I would like to believe the American people are not dumb enough to have another Bush (McCain) in office!

OBAMA/EDWARDS '08

February 26, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  18. SC

'Sounds like Hillary with the "I don't think this race is over" line. The time to endorse HRC is within the next 2 days so the HRC campaign can get his butt over to Texas and turn out the Latino vote.

Richardson would be too conciliatory for Obama to pick him as a VP. Obama needs an attack dog i.e. Webb who can appeal to white men.

February 26, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  19. Mark, VA

NO, DON"T YOU DARE TRY TO PUSH THE OUTCOME ON WAY OR THE OTHER. LET THE VOTERS DECIDE WITHOUT UNNECESSARY INFLUENCE.

February 26, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  20. Anonymous

if superdelegate should follow thier continent such CNN and Obama (2 close friend now) said so Richardson will endorse for Hilary Clinton. SO Come on Hilary and Richardson.

February 26, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  21. Janet from NH

Hillary supporters...please don't speak for me. I am a woman and Hillary does not represent me. In fact, I do not appreciate how she has run her campaign. I don't appreciate her dishonesty. I don't appreciate her unethical behavior. I don't think she is the right woman to be the first woman President. I hope Governor Richardson is going to endorse Senator Obama to help save the Democratic Party from being destroyed by the Clintons' ambition.

February 26, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  22. ET

If Richardson is to represent his community–Hispanic community, he better support Clinton. Otherwise, he will be denounced by his own community.

February 26, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  23. Vic

If Richardson has any loyalty at all, he will not turn his back on Hillary. It was President Bill Clinton who appointed him to the United Nations and as Energy Secretary, and perhaps in other jobs. Stand up like the person you should be, like the Governor of Ohio, who has praised Hillary and President Clinton for what they've done for this country and its people, and endorse Hillary and praise her publicly for her heart which is always with the American people.

February 26, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  24. TheMan

OOOHHHHHH, I'm quivering with anticipation........Tongue in cheek

February 26, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  25. Michael

To The Red Man,

P.S.- This election is not about what's "overdue" or "owed" to a particular gender or race, it's about change! You seem to lack the knowledge to know that.

OBAMA/EDWARDS '08