February 26th, 2008

Richardson: Endorsement could come 'within days'

CNN

Watch Richardson on The Situation Room Tuesday.

(CNN) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson Tuesday suggested he may endorse a former rival in the Democratic White House race sometime this week.

In an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer set to air at 6 p.m. hour of The Situation Room, Richardson praised both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, and suggested now might be the right time he publicly backs one of them.

"I may make a decision and do an endorsement," Richardson said.

Asked if the endorsement could come within the next couple of days, the New Mexico governor replied, "Possibly, yes."

Richardson, a former member of the Clinton administration, wouldn't hint at which candidate he was leaning towards, and said it's still possible he may make no endorsement.

"I'm just not trying to be cute. I just have felt that an endorsement by me, I don't think it is that significant," he said. "But I still might do it."

Both Clinton and Obama have heavily sought Richardson's backing since he dropped out of the race in January. Richardson, one of the highest ranking Hispanics in the Democratic Party, could give either candidate a boost in the Latino community ahead of Texas' primary on March 4. Latinos are expected to play a big role in that contest.

In the interview Tuesday, Richardson praised both candidates, and said the two are running a "classic race."

"Change versus experience," Richardson said of the race. "And obviously I ran on the experience mantle. It didn't work out too well. But I think they are both exceptional candidates, represent fundamental change. I think it is going to be very, very close. I don't think this race is over."

Watch the full interview with Richardson tonight on The Situation Room, 6 p.m. ET.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Michael

To The Red Man,

Do what you feel is right…You will not convince the majority of us that Hillary or McCain is the right person. A vote for McCain is another vote for Bush…and I would like to believe the American people are not dumb enough to have another Bush (McCain) in office!

OBAMA/EDWARDS '08

February 26, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  2. Mark

Well, it better be Clinton. I am tried of the double talk that Super Delegates are obligated to follow "their" constituents, but then say "oh, no I need to go with the Country". You were elected by New Mexico people to reflect their views, therefore you must go to Hillary, even if she only won by 1%. I bet if you only win re-election by 1% you would take count it.

February 26, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  3. TexMex in Austin 4 Hillary!

I'll say it again–you Obama supporters are so hateful, spiteful and arrogant! You definitely compliment your candidate well. Your immature attitude says a whole lot about the mentality of those that are voting for him. What a shame!

All this hateful attitude makes my stomach turn and convinces me daily that Obama is not the right person for the presidency. Therefore, he'll never get this Hispanic woman's vote. I will never be a part of such hatred of another human being. No wonder this country is in the state that it is. Change comes from within the heart–your candidate will never be able to do that. Listen to you and read what you write! Disgusting. I only wish the media would let the world know the kind of people who are supporting Obama.

February 26, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  4. Veronica Lubeck

You underestimate your influence Governor, an endorsement from you would be welcomed by most democrats.

February 26, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  5. Travis

Hillary will make an awful president. Sorry, but what kind of country is America if it has two decades ran by the same two families? Sounds a little strange to me.

Go Obama.

February 26, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  6. Michael

To The Red Man,

P.S.- This election is not about what's "overdue" or "owed" to a particular gender or race, it's about change! You seem to lack the knowledge like many other Clinton supporters to know that. I wonder if you are even a Clinton supporter, your name suggests that you are a Republican that wants McCain to go against the weaker candidate (Hillary) and we are not buying into it, "my friend".

OBAMA/EDWARDS '08

February 26, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  7. Stephen

He was always going to wait right before Texas because that is when his endorsement will have the greatest effect

February 26, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  8. PDC

I get the feeling that Hillary supporters have this notion that if they vote for Hillary somehow the prosperity of the 90's will return. Someone alert the internet & tech sector, and all the tech jobs created for Y2K bug fixing!

We're about to travel back in time! Call Dr. Emmit Brown, we need to borrow the Delorean

A vote for Hillary is not, I repeat NOT a return to the prosperity of the 90's. Now who's dreaming?

February 26, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  9. helen degeneres

hillary for prez. rosie o'donnel for vp.

February 26, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  10. Michael

Is anyone really waiting for what this guy says. Remember, he used to be nearly a major league baseball player until he admitted he was a liar.

February 26, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  11. JPilot

You don't just shove the resident into the OR for a 16 hour neurosurgery procedure or you're likely to have a flatline. THIS would not be a good change.

February 26, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  12. andrew jones

Bill is going to endorse Hillary, but it's of no relevance at this point.

He is only paying back his dues to the Billary's who have done him favors for years; it shows that he cares more about his personal interest than the interest of the democraty party or the change direction movement.

2 late Bill, but make the wise choice and Vote for Change!

GO OBAMA!!!!

February 26, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  13. Randy - Denver

Change vs. experienced. I choose experience because it is less risk.
    Quoted from an earlier post

Change vs. experienced. I choose change because it offers more rewards.

Thank you Dave because there in a nutshell is the difference between the two groups of supporters! Some want the security of knowing what is coming and some want the hope of making things better.

Just a comment feel free to trash me as oft times before.

February 26, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  14. Fernandez

Bill
    You do not have to endorse anyone. Do not stoop to the level of the other endorsments.

February 26, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  15. jessica

Bill please endorse Hillary Clinton – She is the best one for the job!!! Can we stop hating so much on the democratic candiates we should focus this energy on the Republicans not each other. With this division the Replicans will get the Whitel House in November not matter what Democratic Candidate wins.

I really hope Hillary will be our candiate but I do not hate Obama or say nasty things about him the way other Democrats state about Hillary – Remember WE ARE ONE PARTY!!!

GO HILLARY

GO HILLARY

GO HILLARY

February 26, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  16. Reality check

He will endorse Clinton. Clinton has the support of the Latinos and that is Richardsons main interest. Hillary has the Latinos interest at heart, Obama just wants their votes.

February 26, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  17. Karen

Governor – The smart choice would be Clinton. The easy way out is Obama. Obama people think the Clinton supporters will easiy slide over to Obama if he is the nominee, not true. We have a family business and I hear every day, without fail, so many Clinton supporters who will go McCain in November. The Repubicans will have the "Democrats for McCain" buttons ready – it will be a replay of McGovern vs Nixon. As for Florida and Michigan, why is the general electorate being punished? The ligislators and governors broke the rule. The people in these states elected these individuals in good faith, believing that they were competent, well informed and would know the rule and law of the day, they let their constituents down in a big way. If my party thinks for one minute that I will support a candidate that is representative of only 48 of these "50 UNITED STATES", they are sadly mistaken. I will vote Republican for the first time in my life.

February 26, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  18. Vermont is great

OBAMA/RICHARDSON '08.

THE LADIES OF VERMONT

February 26, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  19. Frank

Dave February 26th, 2008 2:16 pm ET

Change vs. experienced. I choose experience because it is less risk.
    ------------------------------–

Then you would want to vote for a third Bush term ... he has now a lot of 'experience' as a president and NOTHING would change. You would be happy.

February 26, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  20. MN Woman

Seeing a man being this coy is just creepy. Shut up, until you make up your mind. Just exactly what position are you angling for should the Dems. take the White House?

February 26, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  21. Bela

Hillary every president has to win their election based on their record and not that of their spouse. When I choose a female president, she will talk about the experience she brings to the white house not that it takes a Clinton to clean up after a Bush becasue "we" dd it before...

Bill did it not Hillary. Someone needs to let her know that Gore was the Veep not Hillary. Obviously, supporting your husband in his career is what every woman can claim...including the surgeon's wife...can she then claim to be an experienced surgeon because of it? What is this war experience she is talking about? In my opinion, we need a president who will be ready on day one for the job of uniting the party, the country, and the world. That is certainly not a role that Hillary Rodham Clinton can claim to be effective in.
    I pray peace for Hillary and Bill as they finally end this chapter of their lives and their quest for the white house...it really is almost time to move on...the writng really is on the wall... Go Barack 08

February 26, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  22. brian b.

Hey Bill, show some true loyalty to the Clinton's. Show us that there really are things that matter more in the party. Things like honor and integrity!

February 26, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  23. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I respect Bill Richardson and believe he would endorse Hillary Clinton. However, he recognizes Hillary's ship is sunk and his endorsement is not going to help her, but he can help himself and his state by endorsing Obama. That's where his endorsement will count for the good people of New Mexico.

February 26, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  24. Dee

If Richardson's plan was to endorse Hillary, he could have done it long time ago. You have to read what is written above people! He already hinted where is going to.

February 26, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  25. ClintonFatigued

You sheep that are hammering him before he endorses anybody need to be reminded that he forgot more about running anything more than any of you.

Even across the aisle, I appreciate Richardson and the factual statement that he was a far superior candidtae for the Democratic party than either of the two left.

You want to talk experience or actual accomplishments Shrillary?

Your not in his LEAGUE.

I wish he would endorse McCain, the best Democrat left in the race.

February 26, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |