February 26th, 2008

Will he have an impact?

ALT TEXT

Watch Tad Devine, a former adviser to Al Gore, discuss what impact Ralph Nader may have in the 2008 presidential race? (Getty Images)

Filed under: Ralph Nader
  1. Darth Vadik, CA

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

Is Karl Rove paying this guy to run?

Doesn't matter, with Democratic turnouts Republicans can run 10 Naders, it won't make a difference.

February 26, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  2. Joss

If by impact they mean, will many Obama supporters vote for Nader if HIllary gets the nomination, then the answer is yes.

I am one!

February 26, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  3. Yolanda

As a democrat, I now have two choices (Nader and MacCain) if Obama gets the nomination.

February 26, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  4. Brian

Actually, this is just fine! It will make the Democratic Campaigns pay more attention to the Progressive base of the party, to make sure they keep their votes. In the last 26 years, our national candidates have been either Right (RR, GHWB, GWB) or Center-Right (Bill & Hillary).

It's time to go left.

Nader won't make a difference in the actual election though, I bet he doesn't even get as many votes as he did in '04.

February 26, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  5. La Raza

He gets my vote if it is Hillary and McCain.

February 26, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  6. JC in IL

After the Mike Huckabee stunt-double for Gomer Pyle, now we have Ralph Nader stunt-double for Mr. Bean?

Go MITT 2012!

February 26, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  7. JohnS

Stop blaming the media. Unlike some of the Hillary supporters, the media:

1. have done most of their research; so, they do consistently use "objective data" to guide their decision making processes!

2. have videotapes of these candidates- past, recent, and present. All the media have to do is to go back to the archives and replay those tapes, similar to what the Republicans will be doing in the general election.

3. have most of the "future-related" information, as insiders to the process.

Please blame the candidates for each screw up in their campaigns. If a candidate cannot manage a "simple" although complex campaign process, how would she/he manage this nation? I guess this is what "experience" is all about– "how much time you spend," NOT the ability to bring people together to resolve complex issues? So, chill it on the media–.

February 26, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  8. E Fabian

If Obama the semi-Devine god that can do no wrong is nominated than Nadar gets my vote.

I will NOT vote for McCain and I definitely will not vote for someone with Obama's resumee and inexperience to run this country.

Like someone on CNN stated last night that a woman with Obama's resumee would never have been taken seriously and she is right. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

And CNN please stop deleting my posts.

February 26, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  9. Richard Rodriguez Rivera

On Nader????? No comment.

February 26, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  10. Bayou Joe

You bet your sweet bipee he will have an impact. The more people that shed light on Obama the better off this country will be. Our knight in shining armor is coming to save our country from self destructing in November. Go McCain

February 26, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  11. LINDA K. IA.

You are not going anywhere and all you do is get in there and spoil things for the others. You cost Al Gore the Presidency. As far as I'm concerned this election is turning out to be terrible. I'm voting for Hillary. I don't know what is the matter with people. There is so much hatred out there but you know what? We lived so much better when Bill Clinton was President. He was a good President. I don't care about his personal matters. All you people out there that say these bad things, take a good look at yourself and say your sole is so perfect. All I care about is the kind of job our President has done. And we sure have had 8 years of hell. Our standard of living has gone down, people don't have any money, the home foreclosurers and people have lost jobs to them being sent oversees to China. Our car industry, look how many people have lost jobs in Michigan. Hillary would make us a very good President and give us our life back.

February 26, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  12. Joan

The dirty secret of Nader is his funding is coming from the GOP.

February 26, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  13. jw, canadian,ok

Yo Ralph, if we put your picture on a stamp, will you just go away?

February 26, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  14. Jorge

Spoiler indeed. I'm a Clinton supporter all the way, and I will not vote if my choices are Obama and McCain. I was pretty angry at Nader eight years ago. This time around, I'll thank him with my meaningless vote. Sadly, and as difficult as it is for me to admit it, I'd rather see McCain in the White House if Clinton isn't the Democratic nominee.

I, for one, am not the least bit moved by Obama's meaningless rhetoric. Yes we can, what? What can we do? We're not casting for an episode of Oprah; we're electing the leader of the free world. The Republicans are going to annihilate Obama in upcoming debates. You heard it here.

Get ready for another 100-year war. I'm glad my dog isn't eligible for the draft.

February 26, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  15. Texasboo

Oh please, Ralph doesn't have a chance. Obama is bringing in MORE VOTERS 5 to 1 over both Hillary and McCain, just look at the record breaking turnouts.

Ralph has sold out and is no longer relevant. Sure he'll get the bitter Sybillary and Dixiecrats vlotes, but know this, there are consequences to your votes. Own it. Both Clinton and Nadar has the blood of 4,000 troops on his hands and the wounded soldiers without limbs because we are in a senseless war. Thank God Obama's base is solid and will carry him all the way to the white house.

TEXAS FOR OBAMA. Vote for rational judgement and rational mind

February 26, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  16. montag

Ralph Nader could have a HUGE impact on this election if two things were to first happen.

1. The corporate media gives him a a fair and equal chance to be heard on television and radio. And also includes him in any future debates. (Not likely to happen.)
    2. The Democratic Party stops spending a fortune keeping Nader and other third-party candidates off the ballot in so many states. (Extraordinarily unlikely.)

Intelligent people respond to truth when they hear it and if they are permitted to hear it. It's the sheep and the lemmings who continue to vote against their own best interests because they're too lazy and/or stupid to research the issues.

Go Ralph! You have my ear and my vote.

February 26, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  17. Jasmine - AZ

I believe its Bush and his friends....They had Nader run so he could beat Gore..Now They're paying him in some way to run so the republicans can win again...

This is a conspiracy..Just ask yourself..

What does Nader have to gain?? Does he truly have a chance??

Why would he jump in a race he and everyone else knows he can't win???

My reasoning is Nader is being paid by someone who wants the republicans to win the nomination...

February 26, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  18. Black female for Hillary

It is obvious that men are afraid of a strong woman,not only in the political arena,but in marriages as well. Hillary has my vote and my money.

February 26, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  19. George from Minneapolis

Nader is a maggot. He should get no press coverage. Obama should TOTALLY ignore him.

February 26, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  20. Kathryn Irby

Nader wil do no more than make a fool of himself, as he always does! He is a menace to society. Ralph Nader isn't serious about wanting to become President. He just wants to be devisive. What's new?

February 26, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  21. Sherril Barney

Well, I mst say!! Maybe NAder is better qualified than Obama to be president? Wouldnt' that be interesting if all of Hillary's support went to NADER????????

February 26, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  22. wait a minute

Mr. Nader will definitely have a positive impact on American political history. We should be proud of him.

February 26, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  23. Brad

I don't know if he will have an impact or not, however I will vote for the democratic nominee, providing that nominee is fairly selected by the voting process rather than the manipulation of super-delegates.

I will vote for Nader if super-delegates are used to change the outcome of the voters' wishes.

I believe Nader has talked about a number of the things that both Hillary and Barack try to avoid, and maybe splitting the democratic party down the middle would be beneficial... after all, the Clintons have controlled it for far too long. In fact, the Clinton and Bush dynasties have controlled our country for 20 years; the election of Hillary could push their control into the 24-28 year range.

February 26, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  24. richard

NADER PLEASE GO AWAY.

February 26, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  25. MA Independent

Good, the more the merrier. The two party system is flawed anyway.

Voting for someone who has "no chance" is not throwing your vote away, is using your vote to express the displeasure you have with the two majors. I'd rather vote in line with my personal views then vote for the "lesser of two evils".

Also, it's humorous to me that people who clamor for change (I hear this is a big thing these days) refuse to vote for anyone other than a Republican or Democrat, who as a whole are diametrically opposed to change because this means their parties lose the power they currently have in our system. Food for thought.

February 26, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |