February 27th, 2008

Clinton: Voters 'rallying to my candidacy'

Clinton says she remains optimistic.
Clinton says she remains optimistic.

COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) - After a debate performance that did little to alter the dynamic of the Democratic primary race, Hillary Clinton on Wednesday presented a stay-the-course optimism about her campaign as it heads into the final stretch before crucial primaries in Ohio and Texas.

Hillary Clinton told a gaggle of reporters on board her airplane during a flight from Cleveland to Columbus that at this late stage of the primary race, "people are really rallying to my candidacy."

Clinton said she was "really pleased" with her debate performance in Cleveland, arguing that she was able to  present "some real contrasts" against Barack Obama, especially on the issues of health care and the economy.

"What I feel is happening is that people are turning towards the big questions that we should have to answer in this campaign," she said. "Give me the best Commander in Chief. Who do you want in the White House answering the phone at three a.m.? Who is the best steward of the economy?"

Clinton said that along with getting a second look from voters, her campaign continues to raise $1 million a day over the internet, a factoid she has been touting since Super Tuesday.

Despite that cheery forecast, her campaign sent out a fundraising e-mail Wednesday from Bill Clinton that accused Obama of trying to drown out his primary opponent with a barrage of TV ads.

"So let's show the Obama campaign that they can't win this race just by throwing more money at it," the email said, seeking to raise $1.9 million in the next 24 hours.

Clinton is hosting an "Economic Solutions Summit" in Zanesville on Wednesday, followed by two rallies in the towns of St. Clairsville and Belpre. She heads to Texas late Thursday for the remainder of the week, hitting the major media markets of Houston, San Antonio and Dallas/Fort Worth.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. mal

I think it is so ironic that the Clinton campaign would claim she is ready to lead and at the same time turn around and say why are you asking me the first questions?

If you are ready to lead on day one and to answer the phone at 3 am then stop whinning about who gets to go first for if you were to become president only you will be asked the questions not only the first but also the last.

Will Hillary please stand up! The American people isnt sure who will answer the phone at 3am.

February 27, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  2. ldb

I find it remarkable that there are over a score of comments favoring Senator Clinton and not one favoring Senator Obama. Looks to me like the Clinton campaign is gaming this email string, which should make the reasonable reader see through the accolades for what they really are – phony.

February 27, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  3. maggie

I'm a life long republician, but I'm voting for Hillary Clinton. Obama is a con artist that is really dangerous for this country.

February 27, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  4. Ashley

In the beginning I was supporting Barak but after watching a couple of debates and hearing him speak I have realized for a while that Barak is just a guy that can talk "good". I am all for supporting my African American men, however, it is going to take more than being black for me to support Barak. Hillary focuses on the issues at hand and I will admit she goes get a little feisty but still it is obvious she is more informed and knowledgable about the issues that are brought out. I am so sick of hearing Barak give these "inspirational" speeches. I feel like I am at church (seriously). I think his message is wonderful, really, but I think that people need to realize that he is not talking about key issues the way that his opponents are.

I would rather vote for a Republican before I vote for Barack. We don't need another inexperienced person in office.

Go Hillary!!

Oh by the way, I live in TX and I will be voting TWICE!

February 27, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  5. zoe

Do NOT underestimate the women of this country - we are getting very tired of the very blatant media bias and sexism and will NOT forget.
    Go HIllary!!!

February 27, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  6. Francis sam-kabba

" Hillary" I did admire your courage by ignoring Michelle Obama's petite remarks that if you cannot control you house ! houw can you control the white house. You did behaved like a true leader.This makes me equqte you to all the famous female leaders like Indiara Gandi of India and Margaret Thatcher of Great Britain. Hilliary you are moses that will carry America to the promised land. Keep doing what you know how to do best. We all know that it is Hillary against the press. I am very proud of you when you vehemently pointed about the the press always pose the first questions to you. You know what, You responses are alway on target. If i should rename you, I will call you the " IRON LADY OF AMERICA." HILLARY YOU'VE BEEN A WINNER AND YOU WILL EVER REMAIN TO BE A LEADER. LOOKING FOREWARD TO YOUR INNOGURATION AS THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE WORLD SUPERSTATE AMERICA, GO HILLARY! GO.

February 27, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  7. Go! Hillary! Go! You can do it!!

Just shut Andrea Mitchell up! Hillary still leads in Super Delegates. Mitchell doesn't bother to mention that as she talks about Hillary losing Lewis to Obama. You'd think Hillary had lost the election because of one superdelegate. And as far as raising money, Hillary has kept up with Obama with her online fund raising. The media has put so much spin on Obama's "momentum" that they fail to recognize that Hillary is still leading in both Texas and Ohio. Hillary's supporters are with her to the end when she becomes the next president of the United States. She is the one with the experience and leadership to tackle the pressing problems of our time. I gave my money online today so she can run all those TV ads too, like Obama. Have you donated yet? And finally, she was the one who appeared presidential in the last debate and was by far the better debater. ( Ignore the media. They are the ones who are supposed to be unbiased and aren't.) Hillary made an important point when she said Obama hadn't held any oversight hearings in the past year as chair of the subcommittee that oversees NATO. If he didn't have time for it, he should have given it up. It is too important an area for national security to let slide.

February 27, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |