February 27th, 2008

Clinton: Voters 'rallying to my candidacy'

Clinton says she remains optimistic.
Clinton says she remains optimistic.

COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) - After a debate performance that did little to alter the dynamic of the Democratic primary race, Hillary Clinton on Wednesday presented a stay-the-course optimism about her campaign as it heads into the final stretch before crucial primaries in Ohio and Texas.

Hillary Clinton told a gaggle of reporters on board her airplane during a flight from Cleveland to Columbus that at this late stage of the primary race, "people are really rallying to my candidacy."

Clinton said she was "really pleased" with her debate performance in Cleveland, arguing that she was able to  present "some real contrasts" against Barack Obama, especially on the issues of health care and the economy.

"What I feel is happening is that people are turning towards the big questions that we should have to answer in this campaign," she said. "Give me the best Commander in Chief. Who do you want in the White House answering the phone at three a.m.? Who is the best steward of the economy?"

Clinton said that along with getting a second look from voters, her campaign continues to raise $1 million a day over the internet, a factoid she has been touting since Super Tuesday.

Despite that cheery forecast, her campaign sent out a fundraising e-mail Wednesday from Bill Clinton that accused Obama of trying to drown out his primary opponent with a barrage of TV ads.

"So let's show the Obama campaign that they can't win this race just by throwing more money at it," the email said, seeking to raise $1.9 million in the next 24 hours.

Clinton is hosting an "Economic Solutions Summit" in Zanesville on Wednesday, followed by two rallies in the towns of St. Clairsville and Belpre. She heads to Texas late Thursday for the remainder of the week, hitting the major media markets of Houston, San Antonio and Dallas/Fort Worth.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

1. Alice

I agree – Hillary's clearly outperformed Obama during the debate as she always does.

February 27, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  2. Texas Clintonite

Clinton is rallying behind you my friend. So many Latin voters are turning out for you..We want you to win Texas..Ohio will deliver, as will RI..Don't give up Hillary..We are in this till the end..We know about loyalty..We are 100% behind you

February 27, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  3. 63 yr old white lady

McCain Please rest

February 27, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  4. Clinton Strong

Keep going HIllary..This is far from over..

February 27, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  5. No Really

You have to admire the sheer hypocrisy of the left.. It seems like the only moral guide these people have is hate. Knowledge is doomed when people cultivate ignorance like a virtue.

February 27, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  6. Texas4Clinton

Keep fighting! Texas is your state..We want you..

February 27, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  7. htp

I do believe in you, Hillary. You're the fighter for the invisibles.
    Hillary 08!

February 27, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  8. jp/michigan

Hillary shown strength, intelligence and substance in the last debate, I am proud to say she is my candidate for the White House.

February 27, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  9. jess_meadow

Thanks Hillary for being there. I so much admire the strength you have demonstrated all through. I very sincerely hope and pray that the media introspects and be honest and just to you. I really do.

You have emerged stronger everytime you have been struck by adversity. From my end I wish you in right earnest and even go to the extent of begging media to be just 'just' with you.

Did I just beg? Well, what the heck... it is for a wonderful cause..

Hillary, wish you a wonderful Presidential Term..

February 27, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  10. jessica

I am sure voters are rallying towards her – She was awsome last night in the debate. Obama was stutterin way too much and was answering questions with the open line of " I agree with the majority of what Senator Clinton just said". Can't he think for himself? This is why I am pretty sure Mrs. Clinton was upset she was always being asked questions first. He needed to show he could answer for himself and not just be a replica of what said. GO HILLARY YOUR COMMANDING PERFORMACE SHOWED LAST NIGHT!!!

HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT!!!!

Obama see a doctor for your speech problem.

GO HILLARY
    GO HILLARY
    GO HILLARY

February 27, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  11. jeffrey

wow.....you almost did it cnn.......you almost posted an artical without critisising hillary for something.......and without metioning obama......but in the end .....you just couldnt help yourself?......ah well dont be to upset.....it will all be over soon...and youll be able to go back to real journalisim.......which reminds me .....how is britney doing these days?

February 27, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  12. Goodbye Billary

Wow the spinning never ends .... amazing!

February 27, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  13. Debra

I think Hillary did well in the debate, but then I see supporters jumping ship. Hillary supporters, dont give up! The fight is not over. I think Hillary is our only hope of having a good president. Barrack is too inexperienced. Hopefully Ohio and Texas will come through for her in a big way. It may be our only hope of actually having a Democratic President.

February 27, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  14. Di

Go Hillary...you are the true Democrat is this campaign!!!

Obama is about as phoney as they come...Obama would make a good snake oil salesman!!!!

February 27, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  15. Nick in Las Vegas

Go Hillary! Go! I truely believe She will be the BEST President the United States has ever had! I hope that the majority of voters in the March 4 primary states feel the same way I do.

February 27, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  16. Vig

Clinton has gotten screwed and skewed by the Hillary Hating, male-owned and controlled media conglomerates. It's not about Clinton – it's about a woman running the country – and they don't want it. Texas and Ohio – it's up to you to restore a fair and ethical election process. Put the brakes on Obama and let the process go to the convention floor. Don't let the media elect the President – let the people.

February 27, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  17. TX4HILLARY

Does anyone bother to look at delegates any more?
    This race is not over.
    And Hillary is NO QUITTER!

Please, fellow Americans, start looking into the experience, and put aside the glamour for a second.

HILLARY 08!

February 27, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  18. Nancy

Go Hillary!

Show these idiots!

February 27, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  19. Helen

Dont' give up Hillary. You are the perfect person to take the job. The nation will cool down from Obama phenomenon sooner or later.

February 27, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  20. Stephanie - Canada

I think people are starting to realize Hillary is the best candidate and we are about to see a surge behind her in Texas, Ohio and RI. I just hope it's not too late for the momentum to peak.

February 27, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  21. onenibble

Hillary is the "ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES AND GET IT DONE" candidate. Obama is the "DON'T SAY MY NAME" candidate.

February 27, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  22. Jack

I just donated money to Hillary as did 3 members of my family

February 27, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  23. Chris From California

I agree with Senator Clinton and I just contributed to her campaign this morning.

In my opinion, among the candidates, Hillary Clinton demonstrates the greatest competence, the greatest knowledge of the country as well as thre greatest world knowledge, and sound capabilities to get this country back on track in all of the ways that are needed – domestically and internationally. She will be the best President. We should do what's right for our country and I believe that is getting back our positive reputation in the world and having the sense of well being we had during the Clinton years in 1993 when we knew we had at least two people in the White House, Hillary and Bill Clinton, and their team that truly cared about the people of this country. Some of the best years of many of our lives were when the Clintons were in the White House. I want those days back.

February 27, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  24. T.A. O'Neil

Go Hillary, after your great show at the debate last night, they are trying to bring you down. You are the stronger one!!! If not Hillary then McCain in 2008.

February 27, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |